COMPLETE: One-Act Play Collection 005 - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kristingj wrote:
wildemoose wrote:If it's PD in the US (which it is, if Gutenberg has cleared it), it's fine for LibriVox and for US readers.
Ahh, okay, I though it was PD50 in USA. I feel like I hate Americans just a tiny, teeny bit right now... :(
Ha, ha! There's plenty of pulp science-fiction from the 40s and 50s that has since lapsed into the US public domain. LibriVox's Science Fiction Short Story Collection is full of stories from that era.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Nope, US copyright is super weird and doesn't depend on death date. It's basically anything that was published pre-1923, or anything that was published after that but which didn't have its copyright removed (which category this seems to fall into.) If it makes you feel any better, I'm super jealous of Europeans because they get all the authors who wrote in the 20s-50s but died young, like Virginia Woolf who just went out of copyright in the UK this year.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

wildemoose wrote:Nope, US copyright is super weird and doesn't depend on death date. It's basically anything that was published pre-1923, or anything that was published after that but which didn't have its copyright removed (which category this seems to fall into.) If it makes you feel any better, I'm super jealous of Europeans because they get all the authors who wrote in the 20s-50s but died young, like Virginia Woolf who just went out of copyright in the UK this year.
What, you don't get that?? How do you keep track with such a rule??? I just loke at the date, and if the author died in 1942 or earlier, its good to go... must become very confusing.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

In this case, the Frederick Pohl is PD, but it is interesting to note that not all texts on Project Gutenberg are automatically PD. There is, strangely, a Midsummer Night's Dream there which is not (it is restricted to non-commercial use and distribution). And ironically, the book entitled The Public Domain is not PD.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

You're right, Bob, I should have been more specific. Appearing on Project Gutenberg is not a guarantee of PD, but something which PG has cleared as PD will always be PD in the US.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

wildemoose wrote:You're right, Bob, I should have been more specific. Appearing on Project Gutenberg is not a guarantee of PD, but something which PG has cleared as PD will always be PD in the US.
I do think you were pretty clear on that, Arielle, as you did say "if Gutenberg has cleared it." But it is clearer now that you specify. :D I will say, though, that it is really a small percentage of texts on PG that are not outright PD. In fact, I was astonished to discover that the Midsummer was NOT PD (!!). The James Boyle The Public Domain book, by the way, is also available for sale on Amazon, in case people wanted a commercially produced hard copy. I think it was a great gesture that he made it available for free on PG, considering the subject.
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Arielle - any particular pronunciation you had in mind for Hindes?
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

JoFriday21 wrote:Arielle - any particular pronunciation you had in mind for Hindes?
Definitely two syllables--I think hin-dess will probably work.
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

wildemoose wrote:
JoFriday21 wrote:Arielle - any particular pronunciation you had in mind for Hindes?
Definitely two syllables--I think hin-dess will probably work.
Hin like fin? :-)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Yes. :mrgreen:
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Well Chuck, here goes another first for me, and with you both times! I sincerely hope I haven't made a mess of this - I'm quite nervous!

Here's the Narrator part on Suppressed Desires.

Duration: 14:06
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/suppresseddesires_narrator_glasspellcook.mp3
:) Pamela Krantz
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

pkrantz wrote:Well Chuck, here goes another first for me, and with you both times! I sincerely hope I haven't made a mess of this - I'm quite nervous!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/suppresseddesires_narrator_glasspellcook.mp3

MW updated! :thumbs:
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

pkrantz wrote:Well Chuck, here goes another first for me, and with you both times! I sincerely hope I haven't made a mess of this - I'm quite nervous!

Ha, ha! Fifteen minutes? I forgot how much narration Glaspell includes in her plays! :)

Thanks Pamela. I'll give it a listen tonight and tell if you I find any hiccups. Glad I could guide you through the tricky world of dramatic projects. ;)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

ok, I am giving this a try. This is my first go at it, so please let me know if you need anything else. :D Caprisha

-Title and author: Tides by George Middleton
-PD text link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16435 http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/16435/pg16435.html
-Wikipedia author link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16435 (1880-1967)
-Wikipedia title link: does not exist
-Roles for play: 4 (William White, a famous Internationalist; Hilda, his wife; Wallace, their son; Narrator)
-Original Publish Date: 1920

I would like to claim the role of Hilda, too.

Summary (since there is no Wiki page)
William White, British orator, has spent his career trying to convince political leaders that war is not a solution to conflict. He and his American-born wife Hilda have been especially busy during the early years of the First World War. Their son Wallace has been away at college, and they worry about the pressure he has been feeling to enlist in the military and join the fight. Wallace surprises them both with a visit, informing them that he has enlisted even though he is not of age. While they are fundamentally opposed to war, they support Wallace. Following Wallace’s exit, William informs Hilda that he, too, has been asked to join the war effort as a special advisor to the government. Among other things, the play addresses such issues as blindly adhering to principles, peer pressure, the passion of nationalism, and the impact of war on all aspects of life. (Summary by Caprisha Page)
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Chuck - here is Henrietta! This may have been the most fun I've had (aside from Maisie) thus far on LV! Thank you so much for letting me read for her!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/oneactplays005_henriettabrewster_glaspell.mp3