[COMPLETE]Pitching in a Pinch by Christy Mathewson - iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Pitching in a Pinch by Christy Mathewson (1880 - 1925) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/pitching-in-a-pinch-by-christy-mathewson/
In this book Mathewson is telling the reader of the game as it is played in the Big Leagues.... It’s as good as his pitching and some exciting things have happened in the Big Leagues, stories that never found their way into the newspapers. Matty has told them. This is a true tale of Big Leaguers, their habits and their methods of playing the game, written by one of them. (Summary by John N. Wheeler -- from the Introduction)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Dec-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33291
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Mathewson
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1912
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Lee Smalley
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project:
    memoirs

Keywords that describe the book:
    Sports; Baseball; Major Leagues
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Pitching in a Pinch . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Pitching in a Pinch , by Christy Mathewson . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Pitching in a Pinch by Christy Mathewson . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Pitching in a Pinch , by Christy Mathewson . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    pitchinginapinch_##_mathewson.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. pitchinginapinch_01_mathewson.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Christy Mathewson
    Album: Pitching in a Pinch

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: iq - icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

LEESMA
Eschew obfuscation.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Lee, I'll MC for you. I'll be back in a few with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, Lee, your MW is up and ready. Do you have a user name and password for the MW? If not, I will PM you one. We will also wait a day or two, hopefully someone will volunteer to DPL, though I may end up doing it because baseball is big in my house. I may not be able to resist!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Great to have you with me on this, Ann; I took my first baby steps with you in The Sword of Antietam!

Right off the bat (pun intended) I have to display my relative newness by asking you what MW stands for. :hmm: I have a user name of course and thought I had a password, but just now it didn't work, so please do send me one for the mysterious MW.

BTW, I have you to thank for recently suggesting I solo, and I'd be delighted if you should be the DPL. (See, that one I do know!)
Eschew obfuscation.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, you talked me into it, I'll DPL! :D

Now, the MW is the Magic Window, and the user name and password that you have for the forum is different than the one you need for the MW. I will PM you one and then you can fill in your section titles.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

DPL...:clap:

Now, back to the MW. (I should have realized what it stood for.) The sign-in page for it came up once but not since. Can you furnish me a link or guide me to it? And, what will I be doing once I've materialized on the other side of the MW? I assume posting the recordings to the appropriate line as they're finished?
Eschew obfuscation.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

You should be able to just click on the blue BC Admin link right below the MW. Then a new window should open and a little box asking you to sign in. That is where you sign in with the username that I sent to you. Then, once your username is accepted, then you will be inside the MW, it should say at the top Readers for Pitching in a Pinch. You will see the MW below, but it looks a little different because now you can edit it. So, in the Section column, that is where you will enter your section titles. I have done the first 2 so that you can see what it will look like. Just click on the edit link for section 2, and then type in the title for that chapter. I just put in the title of chapter 1 without saying "Chapter 1", I think that it makes it cleaner, but you can do whatever you want. Just make sure that the section number for the first 9 chapters (i.e. 01, 02, etc) has a zero in front of the digit. That is just to make sure that the sections will feed properly when people download them. If you don't put it there, I will, and then you will be big trouble! Ha, ha!

Now, when you are ready to upload your first section, just do like you normally do, go to the uploader, pick me on the list and then send it. But, instead of pasting the link into the thread, you will paste it into the MW under the column that says Listen URL. If you need help, I will walk you through that as well. But I think that you have enough information for now to get you started.

Also, Phil has made lots of videos, here is one about doing solo projects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQAl97HVow&feature=youtube He talks about all the stuff that you need to take care of as the soloist, but I will walk you through everything as you need help with stuff!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thanks Tricia, I was looking for that!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Wow! Thanks, Ann. Can't wait to get started.

I'll be inactive here for the next week or so with some birthdays, graduations, and a daughter coming home for a visit. I'm also finishing up a couple of things with Tricia and Michele; then it will be just Christy Mathewson and you. By the way, I'm a long-suffering Mets fan who wouldn't know what to do if they ever get competitive again.

Tricia! OMG! Thank you, too! Have to get back to Mrs. M soon, before she completely implodes!
Eschew obfuscation.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

And that section for Rock of Chickamauga, don't forget that one! I'm an Angels fan, and this season is not the best. All those big names, man they should be in the Big Show in October, but I don't think it will happen this year. Maybe next year!

No problem on when you start. I am going to move us over to Going Solo just to keep the Launch Pad nice and neat.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Hi Ann

I've recorded the Intro and have posted (right terminology?) it in the MW. Too easy! Is there something more I need to do? I realize I'll have to post the chapter titles after 00 and 01, which you so kindly inserted!

I watched Phil's video and will peruse more material as I go along.

Just in case, here's the Intro URL:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/pitchinginapinch_00_mathewson.mp3
Eschew obfuscation.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

It is very easy once you know what to do. Now you can record all kinds of solo projects!

I will listen to your recording in a minute, but there is one thing that I see right now. The file name should just be pitchinginapinch_##_mathewson , with ## being the file number. You don't need to have '-introduction' in the file name. Nor do you need to do anything, I will fix it right now in my folder and in the MW. Back in a few to let you know how you did, I am uploading a file right now for my solo, so this is the perfect time to listen!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, there are only 2 small things!

When you put in the title of the section in the tags, you need to have the section number, for the introduction it should be 00 - Introduction . Then after that, you should have the appropriate section number for each chapter. This is to make sure that the files play in the correct order on a listener's mp3 player. They normally play alphabetical, so if you put the number, then it will play numerically. And, make sure you use the 2 digit system!

For the outro, all you need to say is..."End of Introduction"

That's it, very easy to fix! This book is going to be a good one, I am so glad that you twisted my arm to DPL!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Fixed, I think. You're a great guide through the intricacies of LV.
Until my next hiccup....

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/pitchinginapinch_00_mathewson.mp3
Eschew obfuscation.