COMPLETE The Empire of Russia by John S.C. Abbott - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tekksavvy318

Post by tekksavvy318 »

may I claim section 6?
Sharing knowledge about people who walk different walks of life is a baby step towards understanding them and librivox is a great platform for just that!
http://tekksavvy.wordpress.com
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi tekksavvy, you are welcome to read section 6, but before you get started, please make sure you have your sound issues (such as the echo) under control. thank you!
Carolin
Jules8

Post by Jules8 »

:D Hi bascomjean: or is it Carolin?
May I claim chapter 7
Jules
Animals have these advantages over man……they have no theologians to instruct them……their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts law suite over their wills.
Voltaire
tekksavvy318

Post by tekksavvy318 »

will try carolyn
here is chapter 6: Attempt 1
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/empireofrussia_06_abbott.mp3
34:52
Sharing knowledge about people who walk different walks of life is a baby step towards understanding them and librivox is a great platform for just that!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you tekksavvy for the section, and thanks jules for claiming!
Carolin
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

Are you sure you tried tekksavvy ? Because there's an awful amount of echo. There are also a LOT of plosives. Here are the PL notes for that :

The echo starts at 0:53 and continues throughout the whole recording with some passages where it gets worse :
@7:41 – 49 : larsen
@16:19 and on – worse
@17: 55 and on - worse

These are some of the plosives I spotted :
0:14
0:38
1:21
2:58
4:03-05
6:59
7:01
14:56
16:49
18:13
31:16
31:27
31:29
32:38
33:33
33:58

There are long silences :
0:23 - 0:31
17:01-05 : long silence

- stumbles
5:35 : stumble
7:41 : stumble

And finally you need 10 seconds of silence at the end, since your recording is over 30 minutes long.
Sarah
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you britannia.

tekksavvy, what might the problem with your setup be? if you need help figuring things out, please post in the need help got advice forum, and we will all join forces to help you out! i am sorry but we cannot accept this echo-y sound. i am really sorry to let all your work go to waste :(
Carolin
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

You're welcome Carolin.

Yes this echo is really the core problem of Tekksavvy's recording, I think all the rest can be smoothed out with a little editing. There's is also a lot of background noise, it might be linked to the echo-y sound.
Sarah
Jules8

Post by Jules8 »

:D Hi Carolin:
Just wondering if I should record the section relating to the following, or should I start at the chapters initial story line. This is probably a silly question. :mrgreen:

From 1238 to 1304.

Retreat of Georges II.—Desolating March of the Tartars.—Capture of Vladimir.—Fall of Moscow.—Utter Defeat of Georges.—Conflict at Torjek.—March of the Tartars Toward the South.—Subjugation of the Polovtsi.—Capture of Kief.—Humiliation of Yaroslaf.—Overthrow of the Russian Kingdom.—Haughtiness of the Tartars.—Reign of Alexander.—Succession of Yaroslaf.—The Reign of Vassuli.—State of Christianity.—Infamy of André.—Struggles with Dmitri.—Independence of the Principalities.—Death of André.
Jules
P.S: This section will probably be over 38 minutes, should the ending have a 10 second pause.
Animals have these advantages over man……they have no theologians to instruct them……their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts law suite over their wills.
Voltaire
tekksavvy318

Post by tekksavvy318 »

yea...eh you are right...a bit of echo...its the microphone prolly...got to get another microphone!! IF you like you free up the section for someone else as its going to take some time for me to arrange a new mic!! Thank you for listening my first file though! :P
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hey jules, since the original soloist was reading the chapter description if i may call it so (the this - this - that - this before the actual text), please do it as well. i will put a note about this in the first post. thanks for drawing attention to it!

also, please always add 10 seconds of silence to all recordings that are over 30:00 :)

let me know if there are any other issues!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

tekksavvy - i hope a new microphone will solve these issues. i see that you are passionate about recording so i am very sorry to see your work go to waste because of a sound problem.

when you got a new mic, please do another test recording to make sure it is set up correctly, and then hopefully you can dive back in without echos and pops :)
Carolin
Jules8

Post by Jules8 »

:D Hi Jean or Carolin?:
I have just completed Chapter 7 and the URL and the time are:
Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/empireofrussia_07_abbott.mp3
39:10
Jules
May I claim Chapter 8
:mrgreen: I must admit I have read other books on the above History of Ukraine and Russia. And I find that the stories I've read have variations in the names and also the events are different. I found the chronology of Russian Kings, Princes do not fit some of the names. The Mongols also have different names. Just a small point!
Voltaire
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you jules! :D
Carolin
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

Hello,

I have PL'd Jules' section, here are the few things to change :

- reduce the volume, by a good 5dBs
- @24:52 : stumble r...repuditaion
- @30:57 : it's not really clear what you're saying there.

Just out of curiosity, about the variations in names and dates, are they big differences ? Or is it just a matter of different orthography and a 1 or 2-year difference in the dates ?
Sarah