The Worst Journey in the World by Cherry-Garrard-phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

The Worst Journey in the World. Volume 1 by Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1886 - 1959) .

This project has reached it's destination and can be found at http://librivox.org/the-worst-journey-in-the-world-by-apsley-cherry-garrard/

Volunteers outside the USA: Apsley Cherry-Garrard died in 1959. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).
The Worst Journey in the World is a memoir of the 1910–1913 British Antarctic Expedition led by Robert Falcon Scott. It was written and published in 1922 by a survivor of the expedition, Apsley Cherry-Garrard, and has earned wide praise for its frank treatment of the difficulties of the expedition, the causes of its disastrous outcome, and the meaning (if any) of human suffering under extreme conditions. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: 2013-May-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14363
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    adventure, history, memoirs

Keywords that describe the book:
    antarctic; scott; exploration; expedition; south pole
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Worst Journey in the World. Volume 1 . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Worst Journey in the World. Volume 1 , by Apsley Cherry-Garrard . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Worst Journey in the World. Volume 1 by Apsley Cherry-Garrard . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Worst Journey in the World. Volume 1 , by Apsley Cherry-Garrard . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    worstjourneyintheworldvolume1_##_cherry-garrard.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. worstjourneyintheworldvolume1_01_cherry-garrard.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Apsley Cherry-Garrard
    Album: The Worst Journey in the World. Volume 1

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by boojumuk on January 30th, 2013, 2:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it. - Terry Pratchett
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you. Sounds like an interesting book. Have you done a solo before? or do you need a password?
Also if you do not have a DPL lined up put a tilde ~ in front of the title (you may have to shorten it a tad). :D
EDIT: on the off chance that you have not done a solo before, here is a short video with some tips Doing Your First Solo: some tips. If y ou know all about this, just ignore it.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Thanks Phil. Yes, looks like an interesting read. I have done a couple of solos before so I know what I'm committing to!
I was wondering if it's ok for me to do this, as I'm in the UK, and officially the book is still under copyright here. I'm not quite sure what the policy is.

Kevin
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it. - Terry Pratchett
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

PMing you, boojumuk.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

boojumuk wrote:Thanks Phil. Yes, looks like an interesting read. I have done a couple of solos before so I know what I'm committing to!
I was wondering if it's ok for me to do this, as I'm in the UK, and officially the book is still under copyright here. I'm not quite sure what the policy is.
Kevin
Well, sadly that will probably rule out you recording this book but I'll check with more knowledgeable sources. :cry:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Or not. I understand that you want to proceed so I'll set this up today so you can get busy. :thumbs:
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

So just to clarify, I'm ok to proceed?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

boojumuk wrote:So just to clarify, I'm ok to proceed?
That is definitely a yes! As we say here in the colonies, Let's Get This Show On The Road.
:thumbs:

EDIT: I have opened the Magic Window and you are now the BC. Let me know if you have trouble accessing the MW or anything. Also, I put the preface as chapter 0; let me know if you wish this changed.
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Great! I'd better stock up on throat spray. :D

I've a few queries about the practicalities. I plan to split the long chapters into parts, in some instances 6 parts, as I don't think my voice would hold up for anything longer!
How shall I enter this into the MW? Chapter 1...... part 1, part 2 etc?. I have estimated 30 sections in total.

Second query. There are a few quotations from books etc at the beginning of some chapters, I guess I include those as well?

Third query. If all goes well with part 1, I'd like to register my claim for part 2, which actually contains the interesting stuff. Do I put an entry in the New projects forum now, or wait till I've finished part 1 and hope nobody has decided to jump in before me?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

boojumuk wrote:Great! I'd better stock up on throat spray. :D
I've a few queries about the practicalities. I plan to split the long chapters into parts, in some instances 6 parts, as I don't think my voice would hold up for anything longer!
How shall I enter this into the MW? Chapter 1...... part 1, part 2 etc?. I have estimated 30 sections in total.
Second query. There are a few quotations from books etc at the beginning of some chapters, I guess I include those as well?
Third query. If all goes well with part 1, I'd like to register my claim for part 2, which actually contains the interesting stuff. Do I put an entry in the New projects forum now, or wait till I've finished part 1 and hope nobody has decided to jump in before me?
Query #1: This is your choice as BC but most people do put "Chapter 1; part 3" or something like that. Of course each section will have it's own consecutive number to keep them in order when cataloged and I like to do this:
Section 22 (chapter name would be "22 - Chapter 8, Part 3") putting the section number in the chapter name. I entered a few to show you what I mean. You can check out other books that have split chapters to see how they do it. I can add as many sections as you want.

Query #2: This is your choice but since the author put them there, there should be a truly valid reason for not including them in the recording. Footnotes, endnotes and the like are much more open to being skipped since the author decided not to put them in the text.

Query #3: You may set up your next project now if you wish. I think there is little chance of someone sneaking Volume 2 away from you but I know the feeling of insecurity. So, sure, why not? You can actually have two solos going at the same time if you wish and record a chapter in each in turn as the whim strikes you. (I have two or three going usually).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just passing by - nothing stops anybody reading anything they want - another someone could start this today so there is no point in starting the second volume in advance.

Anne
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Fair point.
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Well, here we go. A nice short preface for starters..

I have included the three sentences prefacing the preface in the preface, if that makes sense!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/phi/worstjourneyintheworldvolume1_01_cherry-garrard.mp3

Time 7:42

can the PL check the MP3 tags just to make sure everything is in the correct place - it's been a while since I did it.

Kevin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Kevin and Phil,

If the job of DPL is open I'd like to sign on.

Laura
Laura
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lvictoria wrote:Hi Kevin and Phil,
If the job of DPL is open I'd like to sign on.
Laura
That is great Laura! I will gladly accept your offer and assume Kevin will agree. :thumbs: Did you see his request to check the ID3 tags? can you do this?