Welsh Fairy Tales and Other Stories by PH Emerson-phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thanks Ruth! Sorry, I had no idea they caused the database problems :oops:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Nor had I :lol:. I learn something every day.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
laurenburwell

Post by laurenburwell »

Oops, sorry! Here's the info for Billy Duffy:

8.6 MB/ 9:19 minutes
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi all,

I've listened to the uploaded files and have changed the MW as appropriate.

There wasn't a file attached to either Section 13 or 14 – I got an error message saying neither was available. It might be worth reloading them.

There's 2 seconds of silence at the beginning of Section 20 rather than the suggested 1 sec or less. Phil and Cat, I'm not sure how strict that time period at the beginning is, so I thought I'd mention it and go with your advice on that.

There's a similar issue with Section 1 but at the end where there are 4 rather than the 5 recommended seconds. Also in Section 20 at 3:57, the reader says 'out of' instead of 'off'. I thought it interfered with the meaning. I made a note about the pronunciation of the word miser too. The reader pronounces it as 'mizzer', rather than 'my-zer'. Again, I thought it interfered with the sense, but I'm happy enough to be over-ruled.

I'll look forward to listening to the remaining sections when they're posted.

Kirstu
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

kirstyl wrote:Hi all,

I've listened to the uploaded files and have changed the MW as appropriate.

There wasn't a file attached to either Section 13 or 14 – I got an error message saying neither was available. It might be worth reloading them.

There's 2 seconds of silence at the beginning of Section 20 rather than the suggested 1 sec or less. Phil and Cat, I'm not sure how strict that time period at the beginning is, so I thought I'd mention it and go with your advice on that.

There's a similar issue with Section 1 but at the end where there are 4 rather than the 5 recommended seconds. Also in Section 20 at 3:57, the reader says 'out of' instead of 'off'. I thought it interfered with the meaning. I made a note about the pronunciation of the word miser too. The reader pronounces it as 'mizzer', rather than 'my-zer'. Again, I thought it interfered with the sense, but I'm happy enough to be over-ruled.

I'll look forward to listening to the remaining sections when they're posted.

Kirstu
Hi Kirstu. The BC and reader will decide on the words and missing sections, but as for the silences, I would prefer the readers correct them all; the beginning should be less than 1 second and the ending 5 seconds. The beginning silence is more important in my opinion and nothing over a second should be allowed with a half second even better. While the ending silence is not so critical and a half second either way is fine with me. Once readers become used to this it will be a habit and make the book so much easier to listen to when it goes from track to track. (this is the way I think it should be; other MCs may differ)(contents may settle in shipping). Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
catrose

Post by catrose »

Phil, could you have a quick check in your folder to see if 12 and 13 were maybe names wrong (with, I don't know, maybe a space was added to the beginning or something). If not, I'll contact Grace.

I'll PM Lauren with her PL notes :) I'll give her the option on whether she wants to correct the pronunciation of Miser (mainly because different accents/direlects pronounce words differently and there are alternative pronunciations of most words). I don't think the other one changes the meaning of the text, so I'd let that go :)

Section 1 is fine with only 4 seconds of silence at the end. The silence at the end is only because some MP3 players cut of the last few seconds of a recording. Not many do anymore, and one second won't make much of a difference :) Though the reader won't have to change it, I'll make them aware that this is needed on all future recordings.

Thank you Kirsy! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

catrose wrote:Phil, could you have a quick check in your folder to see if 12 and 13 were maybe names wrong (with, I don't know, maybe a space was added to the beginning or something). If not, I'll contact Grace.
Thank you Kirsy! :D
Cat, there are two 13s in the folder that were uploaded january 20th and both show that a newer file was uploaded because they are renamed, but the latest file is not there. We could use one of these if you wish, the one I listen to is fine.
No sign of 12 anywhere.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Of course, I meant 13 and 14 not 12. I've added the newest uploaded versions to the MW to be PL'd. If neither has any PL notes, could you rename these as the proper files, Phil, or will I have to reupload them? :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

catrose wrote:Of course, I meant 13 and 14 not 12. I've added the newest uploaded versions to the MW to be PL'd. If neither has any PL notes, could you rename these as the proper files, Phil, or will I have to reupload them? :D
Uh .... rename them as what? If they have the correct file names then they don't need to be renamed. What am I missing here?
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Oh, I've just realised, the pronunciation of 'miser' and 'out of' instead of 'off' were in Section 1 too. I'm not sure where my head was at when I mentioned Section 20.

Many apologies for the confusion :oops:

Kirsty
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Cat. There are a number of sections marked as 'reserved'in the MW for quite some time now. Is there a special reason for these? Just wondering.
Goss45

Post by Goss45 »

I just added another second on the end to make it 5. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work :oops:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/phi/welshfairytalesandotherstories_01_emerson.mp3

Time ~ 9:33
Goss45

Before you handed someone power, you have to ask yourself if you'd be happy
with the worst possible thing they could ever do with it.
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi,

Section 13 is read beautifully, but there are only 3 seconds on the end of the recording; we need another two for cataloging purposes.

Kirsty
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi,

As with section 13, section 14 is read beautifully, but the silences at the beginning and end are 2.5 and 4 seconds, respectively, when they need to be 1 and 5 seconds, respectively.

Cheers, Kirsty
catrose

Post by catrose »

philchenevert wrote:Cat. There are a number of sections marked as 'reserved' in the MW for quite some time now. Is there a special reason for these? Just wondering.
Waiting for Newbies to take 1 minute tests! :D I PM'd them, but no reply. I do hate orphaning sections, but all the reserved ones are now back up for grabs :)

As not to bother Grace, as I know she's quite busy, I have changed the silence on Sections 13 and 14 for her. I am now marking them as PL OK in green. As with section 1, which Goss45 has changed :)

Thank you Kirsty! You're the best DPL ever! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com