COMPLETE - The Antichrist by FW Nietzsche - NF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Well, it's recorded. I'll have to wait a few days to post it, so that I've got enough commuting time to listen to the thing once through carefully. I'm not positive I've pronounced "Chandala" correctly – I used a soft 'ch' (i.e., a 'sh' sound). Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Some notes on my recording:

1. I've read the section numbers as "Section (#)," rather than just reading the number.

2. Footnotes have been read at the point of insertion into the text. Preceding the footnote text was inserted "Translator's footnote (#):", following the text was inserted "End footnote."

3. In most cases I indicated parentheses through intonation and rhythm only. In some cases (actually, just one I think) I felt it more clear to say "paren" before and "end paren" following the parenthetic remark.

Not sure if those are standard procedures. Do let me know if I should edit any of that.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ticktockman wrote:Starlite,

I am always ready to take all the help I can get.

Thanks, TTM
Moved! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

d.e.,

Just got a chance to listen to your section 62, and it is awesome! If that isn't the epitome of a rant, I don't know what is--it's downright scary ':)'

Thanks so much, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Wow, this is fully subscribed! Incredible.

Well done, d.e.! Fantastic.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower »

Found enough time to rerecord. If these section titles get written down somewhere, I'd suggest that section 8, rather than being called "Final Rant" be named either "Summation and Judgment," or "Conclusion and Condemnation," or some other combination of these terms.

Correction to my recording notes from above: in this rerecording, rather than saying "Section (#)", I simply read the number without adding the word "section."

I'm posting two versions. The only difference between them is section #62 (which begins, in both files, at 38:44). Version 1 is delivered with a quiet, shaking rage, whereas version 2 involves just plain yelling. I'm not sure which I like better, or whether the volume of v.2 is excessive by the end. In both, my goal was to make anybody who has ever merely been in a church fear divine retribution just for listening to these words.

(EDIT: I forgot to encode the ID3 tags. The links below have been fixed, and now point to ID3 encoded files)
v.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5myt2wrnygz

v.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1mimn141gom
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

d.e.,

I can't wait to listen! Thanks so much for your energy and enthusiasm.

The labels I used for the sections were only to help people choose sections. It was not my intention to incorporate those into the final recording. Gesine, what are your thought?

Thanks again, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

d.e.,

I listened to 52 & 62, and they're brilliant! Technically, version 1 plays better as you get quite a bit of clipping in v2. I've also always been a fan of quiet rage.

Gesine--what do you think? Thanks, TTM
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Sorry, only just saw this. Downloading now.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hello all,

I read over the Mencken introduction prepatory to reading and there is a word which may be the correct word or it may be a Gutenberg glitch and I don't have a paper copy of the Mencken translation in front of me. The term is sforzando and it is in a section about punctuation. Any input?

The other few foreign terms I can handle. And I'm assuming that
pronunciamentoes is badly spelled Spanish and I intend to pronounce it in Spanish.

I'm planning to read this some time this week.

Do we have a convention on footnotes yet? I generally prefer to say note # as it appears and then put the notes at the end so it doesn't interrupt the flow of the text but if the group prefers something different, let me know. There are no footnotes in the preface but I will encounter some in the later section I have signed up for.

Thanks to all, Judy
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Hi Judy,

Sforzando is a musical notation, which can be roughly defined as "accent", but is more along the lines of hitting a note hard, with a quick decrescendo. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is actually the Nietzsche inspired "Thus Spake Zarathustra" (2001: A Space Odyssey):

Dum...Dum...Dum..DaDum, with the last being sforzando.

d.e. inserted footnotes into the point at which they occurred in the text, and indicated when they were translators footnotes (which encompassed most or all of them). He did this is a more muted tone of voice, and it worked great (at least to my ears).

Keep those questions coming. One well known journalist (whose name I can't recall at the moment) recalled being told: If you want to learn how to write, read Mencken. I think the same can be said for expanding one's vocabulary. In my more megalomaniacal moments, I think about proposing a reading of Mencken's "American Language". Then my wife slaps me a few times and I return to my senses.

Look forward to hearing your Intro (I'll have my dictionary ready).

Thanks, TTM
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Judy,

I just checked out the sentence to which you refer, and it's uncanny how it applies to d.e.'s reading of the final section. In terms of the text, it seems to me to refer to a brief outburst, followed by muttering under one's breath. Sort of like the more intense Shakespeare soliliquys.

Hope this helps, TTM
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Thanks! I've got my work cut out for me! I will try to get to this over the next couple of days. D.E. will be a hard act to follow, or to precede, in my case.

So why ticktockman? Just curious. Judy
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

D.E. - superb reading. If I have to choose, I'll also go for v. 1.
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Judy,

Harlan Ellison is my favorite writer, not least of all because he writes short pieces nearly exclusively (which is about all I can handle). Though the Ticktockman is the bad guy in this short story
http://www.fictionwise.com/pr_ellison_ebooks_ticktock.htm

it's easy to remember, spell, and (perhaps most importantly) reminds me to beware my internal Ticktockman (roughly equivalent of Freud's super-ego, at least to my relatively unschooled mind).

On the other hand, it sounds a little dumb as an alias, but I haven't figured out how to change it.

Printed, ebook, and recorded editions are all pretty easy to find, and it's a quick read (even for me). Give it a go, and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Harlequ....I mean TTM
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Thanks; you know I think I actually own this short story. When I was much younger I ran a little home business selling old editions of juvenile fantasy literature. So as a teenager, I was contacted by Harlan Ellison of all people and sold him some Oz books. I got to meet him in person a few times and he gave me a couple of autographed books. But it has been quite a while since I read them.

Anyhow, I'll check it out. When I hear tick tock, my first impulse is to think of the Baum character, Tiktok.

cheers, Judy