This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/jane-eyre-dramatic-reading-by-charlotte-bronte/
Jane Eyre is a masterpiece of romance and hardship, penned by beloved author Charlotte Brontë. From a childhood spent as a dependent relation amongst cruel relatives and then as a student at a spirit-crushing charity school, Jane grows to become a remarkable woman: poor and plain in an era that viewed women as little more than ornaments, she believes in her own worth and craves independence and adventure. She becomes governess to a little girl at Thornfield Hall and falls in love with the brooding, Byronic master, Mr. Rochester: a man who hides a terrible secret in Thornfield’s attic. A favorite of readers everywhere since its publication in 1847, Brontë’s novel is one of the most enduring classics of all time. (Summary by Elizabeth Barr)
- Is there a deadline?
We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator (especially for some of the larger roles). If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
- How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1260/1260-h/1260-h.htm (SEE GOOGLE DOCS BELOW)
- Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
BC Admin =======================================================
Genres for the project:
fiction, literature, romance, religion, teen-young-adult
Keywords that describe the book/play:
governess; ; love story; ; bildungsroman; ; madwoman; ; mystery; ; orphan; ; romance; ; gothic
- BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Submit one file per chapter.
- Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
[Role], read by [your name].
If you are reading narration, please include for each file:
At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Jane Eyre (Dramatic Reading) , by Charlotte Brontë . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Jane Eyre (Dramatic Reading) , by Charlotte Brontë .
Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording:
Save files as 128 kbps MP3 janeeyre_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number.
ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek-gloriana
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.