[COMPLETE] The Iliad - Trans into English Blank Verse - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

The Iliad - Rendered into English Blank Verse by Homer (ca. 8th Century BC - ) . Translated by Edward, Earl of Derby (1799 - 1869).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-iliad-of-homer-rendered-into-english-blank-verse-by-homer/

[quote] "It must equally be considered a splendid performance; and for the pres- ent we have no hesitation in saying that it is by far the best representation of Homer's Iliad in the English language." — London Times.

"The merits of Lord Derby's translation may be summed up in one word, it is eminently attractive; it is instinct with life ; it may be read witli fervent interest; it is immeasurably nearer than Pope to the text of the original. Lord Derby has given a version far more closely allied to the original, and superior to any that has yet been attempted in the blank verse of our language." — Edinburg Review.

• Target completion date: 2013-Jan-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6150
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    classics-antiquity

Keywords that describe the book:
    Homer; Iliad; Trojan War; Achilles; Agememnon;
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Iliad - Rendered into English Blank Verse . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Iliad - Rendered into English Blank Verse , by Homer . Translated by Edward Smith Stanely [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Iliad - Rendered into English Blank Verse by Homer . Translated by Edward Smith Stanely This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Iliad - Rendered into English Blank Verse , by Homer . Translated by Edward Smith Stanely "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    iliad_##_homer.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. iliad_01_homer.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Homer
    Album: The Iliad - Rendered into English Blank Verse

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/uploader
      Use your own workflow login or:
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by marmenta on September 13th, 2013, 3:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

This is such an awesome version. :clap:
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll MC this, Michael -- back in a bit with your MW.

edit: All set! One question: would you like a 00 section for the preface and the introductory stuff? Also a couple of notes -- I shortened the suggested file name to iliad-verse_##_homer since the name the template generator supplied was such a handful. You are welcome to change that (to iliad-derby_##_homer or whatever you think best), you know this text better than I do. :) It is not a bad idea to have something other than just plain iliad_##_homer to distinguish the files from the other LV Iliads, in case someone downloads more than one version. Lastly, I changed the text link to the main Gutenberg page for the book since that link will not change over time and also so listeners can choose the format they prefer.

I'll move this down to Going Solo tomorrow. Let me know if you need anything, and have fun!
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Moved to Solos forum --
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

THANK YOU VSO MUCH for doing this. So many Iliads are in prose. I love the Samuel Butler, but this version is so much better! Best Iliad I ever read. A little better than Fagles but WAY better than Chapman's.

Yes! Can we add a 00 section and then take away #25?
Michael
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think Chocoholic is asleep - I will do it so you can fill in all the title fields .

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thank you, Anne!

Michael, at some point before cataloging could you give more information about where/when your summary came from? Just have to confirm it's PD.
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Question: Can I add some slight effects? Not full-on battle sound effects...lol...but maybe a little reverb when the various Gods speak, or a slight echo when charactrers are talking to a thousand people at once.
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thank you for the blurb information (however did you find that?). As to the sound effects -- it depends. Please don't do anything that could obscure your voice, and bear in mind that some listeners won't like any sound effects at all; but adding a gentle reverb/echo to your voice would be OK per the rules. Don't add any sounds other than your voice, though. My opinion is that a few effects widely spaced in an otherwise straight reading can jar the ear, as compared to a radio drama in which there are effects constantly so they are in context; but again that's just my opinion and it really depends on how it sounds.

Now, you could add the battle effects (ha), spears clashing and people yelling and Voices from On High and whatever you like, in a separate version if you want to go whole hog with it. You would make a plain vanilla version for the LV catalog, then upload the spiced-up version to Archive yourself. We could even put a link to it on the LV catalog page so people can find it.
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Heehee. That's ok. I wouldn't be able to resist adding machine gun sounds and explosion sounds and maybe even a lightsaber here a and there. LOL.

ABout the blurb, I searched a LOT on regular Google. I ended up typing "Iliad Derby translation review" in the Google Books site in their "free e-book" section. It took me a while to figure that out, though.
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Hi! Sorry to be gone so long. I'm still working on writing a script for this and I've done that first 2 books.
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks for checking in!
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Hi! This is Mike. I'm so sorry sorry I haven't ben able to check in. I work with a Youth Theater company as Musical Director, all volunteer and we've been having shows that are taking a lot of work. I'm very serious about completeing this book and am almost done with the First book. I am in the second week of shows but I have days off so I can make a few takes and get started.

Just checking in. Thank you, everyone.
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks for checking in, and have fun with the theater!
Laurie Anne