[COMPLETE] The Iliad - Trans into English Blank Verse - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I listened to the Preface last night. It's pretty good. The plosives were easy to edit out. Let me just change the intro and then I'll upload it. I'm recording Book 5 right now. I think my range is expanding a little because of the low tone I use for the narrator! :D
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Question:

I was thinking.

Of course everyone knows is that the Iliad is crazy hard to understand. It gives no hint of what the deal is with Helen and how she was abducted and why she is the way she is,and the events that started this whole disaster (The "Golden Apple" thing). The Iliad refers to lots of things that aren't explained. It doesn't help that the Iliad was one book in a cycle of 5 and 3 of them are lost. I had to look all this stuff up. The "Arguments" sections before each Book don't help.

Also, all the various names that one character is given, like Agamemnon, who is also called "Pelides", "Atreus' son", or just "Atreus", is so confusing.

Do you think I should record a short "reader's note" that gives the critical info. Its duration would be a minute or so. I could write it and record it and stick it in section 0 at the end.

What do you think?
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

No, LV policy is that we don't add anything at all to the texts in the recordings; we record them exactly as written with no editorial comments. You can certainly add an explanation to your written description for the catalog -- though since we'll be linking the Wikipedia entry on the catalog page, the information will already be available that way.

If you add anything to the description, I'll just need it anytime before we go to catalog -- and warn me if you add it, because I won't notice that the top post in this thread has changed unless you tell me. (And speaking as an occasional cover maker, it would be nice if the summary is short enough to fit on a CD cover. :))
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Gotcha. Ah yes. I forgot there's a link to Wikipedia. That's where I looked all this up. Great! :)
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I'm working on Book 5 now. Book 5 is sprawling and runs an hour and a half. I have to split the thing up. :lol:
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I've fixed and re-uploaded the preface and first 4 books. Everything is the same as it was except the disclaimer is the one we talked about. Also I fixed the error in iliad_5. :D
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I've just uploaded Book 5 Part 1 and 2.
Michael
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Section 05: spot-check PL OK!

Section 06 is also PL OK! :thumbs:

Also, thumbs up for the new intros in sections 00-04! :thumbs:
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

And section 07 is PL OK - great work! :clap:
Kathrine
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Thank you so, so much! :D

Here is Book 6.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/iliad_08_homer.mp3

48:33
Michael
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

PL notes section 08:
05:48 - words missing '...Atreus! for my life accept...'
17:47 - stumble 'he from her mouth - and from her mouth' - the second one is the right one :)
Everything else is good! :)
Kathrine
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Thank you for everything Kathrine. :D
I fixed everything in iliad 07

Here is Book 7

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/iliad_09_homer.mp3
46:33

:D
Michael
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Section 09 is also PL OK! :clap: Remember that the end silence of recordings longer than 30 minutes should be 10 seconds (here it is 5 sec). Chocoholic, does this have to be changed, or is it acceptable? :)
Kathrine
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

kathrinee wrote:Chocoholic, does this have to be changed, or is it acceptable?
Unfortunately nobody really knows the answer to this. It was found in the past that some players cut off the endings of recordings, and apparently they cut off more from longer recordings, so the 5/10 sec rule was an approximation of what was probably needed for these players. The subject still comes up from time to time since it's not a common problem. The consensus has been that since some listeners still use these players, we will keep the rule.

So the short answer is that yes, the file should have more silence added to the end. (sorry!)
Laurie Anne
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thanks for clarifying!
Kathrine