COMPLETE: Middle Temple Murder by Fletcher - AF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

This book is now complete and can be downloaded here from the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/the-middle-temple-murder-by-js-fletcher/

The Middle Temple Murder by J.S. Fletcher

NOTE: This project has special rules for signing up and deadlines!
This idea comes from our LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2006 project, in which volunteers sign up for a particular day in November to write, and record, a chapter of a novel. - I like collaborative project, and usually it doesn't bother me much to read a chapter from the end of a book, even if I don't know the book. However, with mysteries it's different. If one doesn't know the plot, it's much more exciting to read - or listen to - them in sequence.
So here's how this project will run:
Every reader signs up for one (or more) chapter. Process as usual, post in the thread and claim. Chapters are fairly short, perhaps 10-20 minutes each. Each chapter is assigned a particular date. It is the reader's responsibility to submit the recording ready for that date. Each day, we will publish that day's chapter, and the chapters will be podcast, too. So as a reader who doesn't know the book, you can claim chapter 15 and not even look at it until the date it's due. On the previous 14 days, you can listen to one chapter per day as they come in. On day 15, you record and submit your chapter, it's published, and then you can listen to further chapters as the book unfolds. The old serial novel idea, but as an audio book.
Of course, this can only work if readers can commit to a particular date. If your date is approaching and you have something else on suddenly (it will happen to some people), please post here as soon as you know, so we can find a stand-in. Perhaps someone will be able to swap dates.
You can also record your chapter before your sign-up date, but it will not be accessible to anyone but me (and I won't listen to it before the day either, as I don't know this book myself!).
I'll need some volunteer proof-listeners to go along with this project - 24 hours is not very long to get a recording organised. If anyone's interested, please post here. It would be good to have several people. Also we could do with some editors for those of us who like recording but loathe editing! :)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    You have to, have to, have to, submit your recording on or before the day for which you sign up. If something comes up, post here as soon as you know (even if it's on the day itself, it's all right) and ask for a stand-in, or for someone to swap dates with you.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10373
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column)!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz preferred, 32 and 22.5 also acceptable
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Middle Temple Murder, by J.S. Fletcher. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Middle Temple Murder, by J.S. Fletcher."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    middletemplemurder_##_fletcher.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number in two digits. (tmiddletemplemurder_01_fletcher.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [name of chapter] (where ## is your section number in two digits!)
    Artist: J.S. Fletcher
    Album: The Middle Temple Murder

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: your email address (if you use yousendit, it's helpful if you'll post the resulting link in this thread)

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)
    - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Gesine on January 17th, 2007, 9:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I love a good mystery but I hate recording character voices so I will offer to help edit for those who hate doing that. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh wonderful, Starlite. I signed up for the 25th (I don't do Xmas, so it doesn't bother me) - if you're around then, you can happily edit my chapter! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Gesine wrote:Oh wonderful, Starlite. I signed up for the 25th (I don't do Xmas, so it doesn't bother me) - if you're around then, you can happily edit my chapter! :)
If possible I would need any chapters up for editing a day or two before the due date. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

OK - that's understandable. So only good for readers who don't mind reading their section before they've listened to what happened before their chapter, or who know the story. :)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Super!!! Love it!
Sign me up for Chapters 01 & 08 to start =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I must be psychic - I thought you'd be the first! Brilliant. Thanks, thistle! :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

I'll take chapter 2, for a start :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

You're on. Thanks, Kara. :)
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Interesting! I'll take Chapter 36.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

And a nicely read ending it will be. Thanks, Kirsten.
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

I'm game. I'l take chapter 29 for December 29th.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I'll certainly jump in, but much closer to the date. I don't know what to expect with my schedule. I'll be listening!
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thanks, ductapeguy! I'll sign you up. Thanks, Anita.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Well, I did mine nice and early, just to make sure I got it done! But no one is allowed to hear it yet :) I'm just posting so I don't forget that I did this already, heheh. It's here somewhere: [edited; Gesine will publish link on 02 Dec]

If I might suggest a slight change to the Title ID3 tag -- having the chapter number at the very end is unspeakably cruel to those of us with tiny ipod screens. And the chapters are named, so why not use the names? If they could be "02 - His First Brief" it would be ever so nice :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)