[COMPLETE]Movies and Hollywood Short Story Coll. Vol 1-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 10th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Movies and Hollywood Short Story Collection (Vol. 001) by Various Authors .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/movies-and-hollywood-short-stories-001/
Fiction about (or involving) motion pictures started appearing in the late nineteenth-century, when writers first became aware of early kinetoscope technologies. These stories grew more and more popular as the public became increasingly fascinated with the movies, the film industry, and the odd inhabitants of Hollywood. These stories reflect and often respond to the public's fascination with the movies; at the same time, they also reveal their fears and anxieties about the new medium. The first volume of this anthology collects 16 short stories and a monologue about motion picture technology and the film industry published between 1895 and 1922.

Collected in this anthology:

* "The Kinetoscope of Time," by Brander Matthews (1895)
* "The Phantasmograph," by Walter Herries Pollock (1899)
* "The Vitagraphoscope," by O. Henry (1904)
* "Mrs. Bathurst," by Rudyard Kipling (1904)
* "Alarums and Excursions," by George Hibbard (1908)
* "The Punishment that Fitted the Crime," by Stephen J. Fay (1910)
* "The Metamorphosed Bi-Focal Drama," by Lloyd Kenyon Jones (1911)
* "A Motion Picture Hero," by Epes Winthrop Sargent (1912)
* "The Moving Picture Writes," by Montague Glass (1915)
* "The Flash Back," by Harry Reichenbach (1917)
* "Co-Stars," by Charles McMurdy (1918)
* "The Film of Fate," by Josephine Daskam Bacon (1919)
* "Pictures," by Katherine Mansfield (1920)
* "His Smile," Susan Glaspell (1921)
* "Alice in Movieland," by William Warren (1922)
* "The Tramp," by Adela Rogers St. Johns (1922)
* "Maisie at the Movies," by Gertrude S. Welton (1922)
(Summary by ChuckW)

SUMMARIES FOR EACH STORY CAN BE FOUND BELOW.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!):
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Movies and Hollywood Short Story Collection (Vol. 001). - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Title of Work] by [Author Name]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Movies and Hollywood Short Story Collection, 1895-1922 (Vol. 001). "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    moviesandhollywood001_##_[author's last name.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. movieandhollywood001_01_matthews.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Title of Work]
    Artist: [Author Name]
    Album: Movies and Hollywood Short Story Collection (Vol. 001)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ChuckW on September 27th, 2012, 4:20 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Unable to record due to COVID-19. Please do NOT cancel my projects.

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 10th, 2012, 6:31 pm

OK, here we go.

If the first volume goes well, this will no doubt become a reoccurring anthology. I have enough material for about ten of these (and then some), so no worries about running out of good material. :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 10th, 2012, 7:12 pm

I'll MC, but I don't have time to set up the MW tonight.

If it were me, I'd name the files motionpicturesfiction001_##_various.mp3 or something like that. You'll definitely want to change the file name from what is automatically generated in the template.

For the intro/outro, I'd probably do something like what is in the short works collections:
"[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"

Or if you want to keep the full name of the collection in it:

"Section [number] of An Anthology of Fiction about the Motion Pictures, 1895-1922 (Vol. 001). - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
"[Title of Work], by [Author Name]"

At the end, "End of Section [number]"
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 10th, 2012, 8:24 pm

TriciaG wrote:I'll MC, but I don't have time to set up the MW tonight.

If it were me, I'd name the files motionpicturesfiction001_##_various.mp3 or something like that. You'll definitely want to change the file name from what is automatically generated in the template.

For the intro/outro, I'd probably do something like what is in the short works collections:
"[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"

Or if you want to keep the full name of the collection in it:

"Section [number] of An Anthology of Fiction about the Motion Pictures, 1895-1922 (Vol. 001). - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
"[Title of Work], by [Author Name]"

At the end, "End of Section [number]"
Thanks Tricia... for the MC'ing and for the help retooling my initial post. :) No worries about the MW. That gives me some time to make one last adventure with the library's microfiche machines before I finalize the list of stories.

In truth, though, I'm a little displeased with the title of this collection. The title I've come up with sounds a little too ungainly for my tastes, but I can't really think of anything better. If anyone out there can come up with some strong suggestions, let me know.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 11th, 2012, 8:30 am

Hmm. "Movies and Hollywood Short Story Collection"?

You're set up, but you'll need to solidify the collection title for the intro before anyone records. :)

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 11th, 2012, 11:26 am

TriciaG wrote:Hmm. "Movies and Hollywood Short Story Collection"?

You're set up, but you'll need to solidify the collection title for the intro before anyone records. :)
A much better title! Thank you!

Whew! That was the longest I've ever spent filling up a MW. Crossing my fingers that I'm not overloading everyone with information.

To help out future volunteers, I'm going to post short summaries of each story. That should be my next post on this thread. :)

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 11th, 2012, 11:43 am

As promised, here are a few brief plot summaries for each story. This will hopefully help out future volunteers select the story that is right for them. These summaries are adapted from an annotated bibliography by Ken Wlaschin and Stephen Bottomore. I have altered their annotations only to remove spoilers.

PLOT SUMMARIES

Brander Matthews, ‘The Kinetoscope of Time’ - A man watches moving pictures of the past through a kinetoscope and is offered a view of future scenes. (Note: This is perhaps the first work of fiction ever written about motion picture technology.)

Walter Herries Pollock, ‘The Phantasmatograph’ - An inventor improves on the cinematograph and develops a way of photographing thought, a ‘phantasmatograph.’ - claimed by CaprishaPage (June 11th)

O. Henry, ‘The Vitagraphoscope’ - In the section of the story titled ‘The Vitagraphoscope (Moving Pictures)’ there are three plot summaries: ‘The Last Sausage’ (a starving artist gets rich), ‘The Writing on the Sands’ (a man and a woman write words in the sand on a beach at Nice) and ‘The Wilderness and Thou’ (a couple watch an elderly Indian trim the grass on a grave and then walk away close ‘for, after all, what is the world at its best but a little round field of the moving pictures with two walking together in it?’).

Rudyard Kipling, ‘Mrs. Bathhurst’ - A sailor becomes obsessed with watching a film titled Home and Friends for a Tickey in which a woman he knows, a Mrs. Bathurst, is seen coming off a train.

George Hibbard, ‘Alarums and Excursions’ - A girl sees a strange battle taking place in the rural fields of her home town of Clovertop. This turns out to be a ‘kinetoscope’ fake.

Stanley J. Fay, ‘The Punishment That Fitted the Crime’ - An actor overly fond of self publicity is sentenced in court to “seven days’ cinematograph”, which he discovers means being filmed in his most intimate moments, and the films then exhibited.

Lloyd Kenyon Jones, ‘The Metamorphosed Bi-Focal Drama’ - The hero of the story invents a movie camera (capable of stereoscopy and colour), and happens to film two men whom the police then recognise on screen as counterfeiters.

Epes W. Sargent, ‘A Motion Picture Hero’ - An actor forced to leave the stage for lack of a good voice moves to filmmaking, leading up to tragic circumstances.

Montague Glass, ‘The Moving Picture Writes’ - A Jewish businessman, who likes to compare moving picture plots with real life, does a costly good deed. He is reminded of ‘a fillum by the name The Return of Enoch Aarons, where an old feller stands outside on the street and looks through a winder, and he sees a happy married couple mit children sitting in front of a fire’. - claimed by DarkDoctor (June 12th)

Harry Reichenbach, ‘The Flash Back’ - A movie director falls for a woman he hired to double for a star but she ruins the film by insisting on being in every scene.

Charles McMurdy, ‘Co-Stars’ - A movie fan imagines he’s as tough as William Farnum but gets beaten up when he tries to rescue a girl.

Josephine Daskam Bacon, ‘The Film of Fate’ - Society girl writes a screenplay about the children left behind when men go off to war and gets involved with a soldier from Kansas while it is being filmed.

Katherine Mansfield, ‘Pictures’ - The plump Ada Moss is cash strapped and attempts to secure a lucrative film role, but has trouble succeeding in the business.

Susan Glaspell, ‘His Smile’ - A woman obsessively seeks out screenings of a detective film titled The Cross of Diamonds which has a brief scene of her late husband walking in the street.

Nina Wilcox Putnam, ‘Making the World Safe for Junior’ - Movie star Marie La Tour and husband Jim decide their son can be a bigger star than Jackie Coogan but can’t agree what kind of movies he should make.

Adela Rogers St. Johns, ‘The Tramp’ - A Hollywood party girl wants to be an actress but ends up like the other pretty girls who don’t find success, a tramp even to the man who loves her.
Last edited by ChuckW on June 12th, 2012, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage » June 11th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Is it too early to claim section 2 ( "The Phantasmograph,") ?
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 11th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Not too early at all, Caprisha! I'd love to have you on board. :)

Thanks!

DarkDoctor

Post by DarkDoctor » June 11th, 2012, 10:46 pm

May I take sections 10 and 11 (both parts of the Montague Glass story)?
- Barbara
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
DarkDoctor
P.S. Mua ha haah

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 11th, 2012, 10:52 pm

DarkDoctor wrote:May I take sections 10 and 11 (both parts of the Montague Glass story)?
- Barbara
That would be sublime, Barbara. Thank you so much! :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 12th, 2012, 6:15 am

Guess we should move this to Readers Wanted! I suppose it'll go to Readers Wanted: Short Works, since it's not a book. :)

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 12th, 2012, 10:24 am

TriciaG wrote:Guess we should move this to Readers Wanted! I suppose it'll go to Readers Wanted: Short Works, since it's not a book. :)
Sounds good to me! Thanks for all the help, Tricia! :mrgreen:

CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage » June 13th, 2012, 5:38 pm

"The Phantasmatograph" has a footnote on the first page in which he references a character who apparently appears in another story put out by the same magazine (but I don't believe we are including in this collection). Would you like me to include it when I read the story? CP
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » June 13th, 2012, 6:48 pm

CaprishaPage wrote:"The Phantasmatograph" has a footnote on the first page in which he references a character who apparently appears in another story put out by the same magazine (but I don't believe we are including in this collection). Would you like me to include it when I read the story? CP
Yikes! How did I miss that?

Anyway, I don't think you need to read the footnote; it's not pertinent to the collection, as you mentioned, so we can easily get away with leaving it out. :)

Thanks again!