COMPLETE: Ways of Wood Folk by William J. Long -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Ways of Wood Folk by William J. Long (1867 - 1929) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/ways-of-wood-folk-by-william-j-long/

Late nineteenth-century naturalist William J. Long invites us in to the secret worlds of the woodland animals. Containing Long's own animal observations along with stories related to him by other humans who inhabit the woods, these stories give us an insight into the behavior of wild animals as they go about their lives in their own secret places deep in the forests of eastern North America. Although Long was accused in his day of anthropomorphizing the animals he wrote about, readers who are familiar with any of the animals he writes of will have glimpses of recognition at behaviors they have seen for themselves and explore the deeper meanings these actions have in that animal's life. The stories will paint pictures in your imagination that will stay with you long after the book has ended. (Summary by Jill Engle.)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18193
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Animals; Children's Non-fiction/Science

Keywords that describe the book: birds, insects, bear, juvenile, mammals, wildlife, fox, animal behavior, forest animals, merganser, rabbit, duck, oriole, nests, beavers, crow, bob white, moose, chickadee, woodpecker, flicker, hornets, owl, snowy owl, pine grosbeak, black bear

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] (from the Section column of the MW) of Ways of Wood Folk . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        " Ways of Wood Folk , by William J. Long . Chapter [number], [Title (including part number)] (from the Title column of the MW)"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number] (from the Section column of the MW)"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Ways of Wood Folk , by William J Long . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      waysofwoodfolk_##_long_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. waysofwoodfolk_01_long.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: William J Long
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Ways of Wood Folk

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        http://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below

Jill :)
Last edited by jillebean on September 15th, 2013, 12:51 pm, edited 15 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Jill,

I'll MC this for you. Magic window will be available shortly. :)
Jo
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Hi Jill,

I'll MC this for you. Magic window will be available shortly. :)
Thanks, Jo! I'm honored considering everything else you have going on right now! :)

And thanks for the MW. I'll get to work on that right now... love filling out my MW!

Jill
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

May I DPL? This looks like such a great book! :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

How fun!

Could I read sections 1 and 16?
I may be back for some more, but this will get me started.

~Larry
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

WoollyBee wrote:May I DPL? This looks like such a great book! :)
Sure Sarah, thanks! :)

Jill
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

silverquill wrote:How fun!

Could I read sections 1 and 16?
I may be back for some more, but this will get me started.

~Larry
Yes, glad to have you! Sections 1 and 16 are all yours. Give me the rest of today to figure out how I want people to do the intro and outro before you start to record, if you would be so kind. :) Thanks Larry!

Jill
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ooops! I mistyped. I meant Section 04 NOT Section 01. Hope that's okay.

It will be at least later in the week before I get to these. I'm going to have less time for LV now - an unexpected new job opened up suddenly. I may have another overnight trip. So much for retirement . . .

~Larry
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

silverquill wrote:Ooops! I mistyped. I meant Section 04 NOT Section 01. Hope that's okay.

It will be at least later in the week before I get to these. I'm going to have less time for LV now - an unexpected new job opened up suddenly. I may have another overnight trip. So much for retirement . . .

~Larry
Not a problem, I have moved you from 01 to 04. Darn real life getting in the way of LV. ;) I know how it goes. Glad to have you as part of this project even with your reduced free time. No hurry on the recordings. Thanks!

jillebean

Post by jillebean »

I think we're ready to move to Readers Wanted whenever is convenient for you, Jo. Thanks!

Jill

ETA: Nevermind! I see you already moved us. :lol: Thanks, again!
Jendia

Post by Jendia »

Hello I would like to take 10 One Touch of Nature

Thanks,
Jendia
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Jendia wrote:Hello I would like to take 10 One Touch of Nature

Thanks,
Jendia
Hi Jendia! Nice to see you here. Section 10 is all yours! Enjoy. :)

Jill
Jendia

Post by Jendia »

Hello, here is: 10 - Ways of Wood Folk

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/waysofwoodfolk_10_long.mp3

4:53

Thanks,
Jendia
Jendia

Post by Jendia »

Hi, I would like to take: 13 A Fellow of Expedients if I can

Thank you,
Jendia
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thank you for section 10, Sarah will be along sometime soon to PL it. And section 13 has been assigned to you. Thanks for claiming!