Robinson Crusoe - in Words of One Syllable- phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Robinson Crusoe - in Words of One Syllable by Lucy Aikin (1781 - 1864) .

This project is complete and in our catalog at http://librivox.org/robinson-crusoe-in-words-of-one-syllable-by-lucy-aikin/
This book is a fictional autobiography of the title character — a castaway who spends 28 years on a remote tropical island near Trinidad, encountering cannibals, captives, and mutineers before being rescued. You know the story; but do you know the story told in words of one syllable? Here Lucy Aikin under the pen name of Mary Godolphin retells Daniel Defoe's famous tale of danger and solitude and resourcefulness. Because of the simpler words and sentences this would be a good project for newer readers to give a try, or for readers where English is not their first language. By Lucy Aikin and Daniel Defoe. (Summary by Phil Chenevert)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text : http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6936
    PLEASE READ FROM THE LINK PROVIDED FOR EACH SECTION. OPEN IN A NEW TAB
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    Thanks to our DPL, the amazing CATROSE !! :thumbs:
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    children

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Robinson Crusoe - in Words of One Syllable. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Robinson Crusoe - in Words of One Syllable , by Lucy Aikin . [Section #]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Robinson Crusoe - in Words of One Syllable , by Lucy Aikin . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    robinsoncrusoeinwordsofonesyllable_##_aikin.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. robinsoncrusoeinwordsofonesyllable_01_aikin.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Lucy Aikin
    Album: Robinson Crusoe - in Words of One Syllable

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
geqo

Post by geqo »

FIRST!!! :D

Oh yeah, and I'm obviously in :D I'd like sections one through a billion... :D Hehe jk.

Need any help divvying up the sections?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. - Terry Pratchett
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This book has no chapters so I will divide it up into about 20 sections and put them into Google docs which will take a day or two so please be patient. My creaky old fingers are tapping as fast as they can.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

geqo wrote:FIRST!!! :D
Oh yeah, and I'm obviously in :D I'd like sections one through a billion... :D Hehe jk.
Need any help divvying up the sections?
Hey you are on the ball! I will keep the sections small like in SWiss Family Robinson, say about 1400 words each so that means 20 sections. Do you think there should be some longer sections? Thanks for the offer but I will be using Google Docs to make links. Do you know how to do that?

Should I put you down for the first ... 10, 20? or all of them? If so, I can make it a solo and you will get credit as such in the catalog. I would handle the MW for you if you wish.
geqo

Post by geqo »

Oooh that's actually not a bad idea... I don't wanna steal other people's fun, but I'd love to do a solo... and I'm on the ball, because I'm sitting by my PC at the moment :P

I know quite well how to use Google Docs, but I don't understand exactly what you mean by "make links" - do you just mean you're going to make separate google documents with each sub-section, and then share the links to those documents on the forum as the different sections? If so, that's easy, and I can edit with you if you like.

I've never handled a MW on my own, so I may require some help, but I'm always up for a learning experience :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. - Terry Pratchett
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

geqo wrote:Oooh that's actually not a bad idea... I don't wanna steal other people's fun, but I'd love to do a solo... and I'm on the ball, because I'm sitting by my PC at the moment :P

I know quite well how to use Google Docs, but I don't understand exactly what you mean by "make links" - do you just mean you're going to make separate google documents with each sub-section, and then share the links to those documents on the forum as the different sections? If so, that's easy, and I can edit with you if you like.

I've never handled a MW on my own, so I may require some help, but I'm always up for a learning experience :D
You got it! I will set this up as a solo for you. When a book needs to be broken into chunks we now make a google doc of each chunk and post the link in the magic window saying, Text Here. This eliminates the need to say 'read from "I don't want to eat that frog" on page 1222 to "He jumped into the volcano" on page 1225 and makes the reader find evrything. Much neater and saves many errors.

Watch this Your First Solo: some hints. You will find it a breeze to do the magic window but I will help out whever needed.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

geqo. As a soloist you have the freedom to make your own sections; to break the book down into however many parts you wish. This short book is just one long story with no breaks so it is your choice. This means that you do not need to set up google docs; just some way to let the proof listener know where to find each section so they can follow along if they wish.

let me know, this will be Fun! Image
my beanie is spinning with pleasure.
geqo

Post by geqo »

philchenevert wrote:
geqo wrote:Oooh that's actually not a bad idea... I don't wanna steal other people's fun, but I'd love to do a solo... and I'm on the ball, because I'm sitting by my PC at the moment :P

You got it! I will set this up as a solo for you. When a book needs to be broken into chunks we now make a google doc of each chunk and post the link in the magic window saying, Text Here. This eliminates the need to say 'read from "I don't want to eat that frog" on page 1222 to "He jumped into the volcano" on page 1225 and makes the reader find evrything. Much neater and saves many errors.

Watch this Your First Solo: some hints. You will find it a breeze to do the magic window but I will help out whever needed.
#1. Why wouldn't you want to eat the frog? And what made your mind jump to frogs (HA!) and volcanoes?
#2. "I will help out whever needed" - is that a word that simultaneously means "whenever" and "wherever"? Because if so, it's a brilliant idea! :D
#3. Downloading the video now.
#4. After I've watched the video, I'm probably going to bed, so I'll catch up on further posts in the morrow.
#5. I hope there weren't other people dying to get in on this project, and now I've stolen away their chance :(

All that said... SO EXCITED!! :clap:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will change this so that it shows you as the soloist. Let me know how you want to do this. :D
geqo

Post by geqo »

So... Do I just start recording as I see fit? And then indicate the section that I have recorded? (I'll make google docs for them as I go along). And do I manage the MW?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

geqo wrote:So... Do I just start recording as I see fit? And then indicate the section that I have recorded? (I'll make google docs for them as I go along). And do I manage the MW?
Yes, you manage the MW. In the video I recommended a few posts ago about doing your first solo it explains all that. Please watch it and then send me your questions. And I will send you your MW password when you see why you need it. :D

It is best to decide how many sections you will need. When I was opening this as a group project, I divided it into 20 sections of about 1400 words each but you may want different lengths. I usually use pages as the dividing points, for example a 1400 words is about 4 pages in this particular project.

Then you need to decide on what to call each section. Since there are no chapters I recommend just a simple number in the section column "01", etc. And to say at the beginning "Section 4 of Robinson Crusoe in words of one Syllable...then the disclaimer"

As a soloist you also get to use the shortened disclaimer from section 2 on. I love it. see below:

"Section 4 of Robinson Crusoe in Words of one Syllable.
This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain
as I said, watch the video, read the wiki and get back with questions. :thumbs:
geqo

Post by geqo »

Would it be OK if I created the sections as I went along? I'll record a piece, until I find a good place to break, then post that as section, and put a link in the MW to a Google Doc with the section I did. I believe the guidelines say 10 - 40 min segments.

I had already watched the video, but just rewatched it for memory's sake. I do believe I am in need of a MW password... (I still can't decide if I should be saying "a MW" or "an MW" :P )

For the tags for the sections, as there are no chapter names, can I just put it like this (with the part I'm not sure about in bold):
Title: 01
I'm not sure exactly which wiki article you're referring to for the soloist info... I found this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=717 (PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING OR RECORDING!)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

geqo wrote:Would it be OK if I created the sections as I went along? I'll record a piece, until I find a good place to break, then post that as section, and put a link in the MW to a Google Doc with the section I did. I believe the guidelines say 10 - 40 min segments.

I had already watched the video, but just rewatched it for memory's sake. I do believe I am in need of a MW password... (I still can't decide if I should be saying "a MW" or "an MW" :P )

For the tags for the sections, as there are no chapter names, can I just put it like this (with the part I'm not sure about in bold):
Title: 01
I'm not sure exactly which wiki article you're referring to for the soloist info... I found this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=717 (PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING OR RECORDING!)
I'll answer your questions from the top down:

Yes, you may make the sections as you go along and then put a link to the doc. I will adjust the number of sections in the MW to whatever you need when you get to the end. I've never seen it done this way but that is the fun of doing a solo, you can do it your way. !

You will definitely need a password to get into the MW.I will send you your password in a PM.

I was referring to when you set up the Magic Window; there is a column 'Title' which is where the section or chapter name goes. This is also the name that you will put into the ID3 tags when you export the file.
I think your choice is fine; just use simple numbers starting at 01, 02 etc.

your password is coming soon. :thumbs:
geqo

Post by geqo »

Seems to be working right. Just busy with some programming at the moment - when I'm done with it, I'll get going at uploading some pieces I've done (done the preface, and then another section of around 12min). Thanks Phil!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

geqo wrote:Seems to be working right. Just busy with some programming at the moment - when I'm done with it, I'll get going at uploading some pieces I've done (done the preface, and then another section of around 12min). Thanks Phil!
Oh! Do you want the preface as a separate section? I had left it out when I set up the project. Usually the preface/foreward is labeled section 00. Please let me know.