[COMPLETE] Hamlet by Shakespeare - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark by William Shakespeare ( - ) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/hamlet-version-2-by-william-shakespeare/

The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark is a tragedy by William Shakespeare. Set in the Kingdom of Denmark, the play dramatizes the revenge Prince Hamlet exacts on his uncle Claudius for murdering King Hamlet, Claudius's brother and Prince Hamlet's father, and then succeeding to the throne and taking as his wife Gertrude, the old king's widow and Prince Hamlet's mother. The play vividly portrays both true and feigned madness – from overwhelming grief to seething rage – and explores themes of treachery, revenge, incest, and moral corruption. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Jun-08
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1524
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 5
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Original publication date (if known): 1603
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    tragedy

Keywords that describe the book:
    tragedy; hamlet; william shakespeare;
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to find out how you can volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark , by William Shakespeare . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark by William Shakespeare . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark , by William Shakespeare . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    tragedyofhamletprinceofdenmark_##_shakespeare.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. tragedyofhamletprinceofdenmark_01_shakespeare.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: Act I
    Artist: William Shakespeare
    Album: The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/Hamlet_1.mp3 Length: 55:40
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/Hamlet_2.mp3 Length: 46:06
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/Hamlet_3.mp3 Length: 59:39
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/Hamlet_4.mp3 Length: 42:34
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/Hamlet_5.mp3 Length: 43:51
Last edited by stinssd on June 2nd, 2012, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

"My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalms 45:1, ASV)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hello Sam
I can set this up for you - I see it is already done :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've set it up - but just noticed you had uploaded to Ezwa - did she agree to do it ?
If so I will back out - but the MW will be OK , if I finish doing it I will collect the files from her.

Anne
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Anne and Sam,

There is an agreement between Sam and I for his projects in general, Anne. But since you offered to MC (and my time is a bit scarce lately), I'll let you go ahead. Thanks! :-)

Even though there are no files to PL yet, given the target date is so close, I've set up a topic in Listeners wanted: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40167 .
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've added the files - you will need to enter titles , but I hoped if they were there we might get a PLer pass by

Anne
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

annise wrote:I've added the files - you will need to enter titles , but I hoped if they were there we might get a PLer pass by

Anne
Anne, thanks for MCing. By entering titles, do you mean adding "Act I" for the first file, etc? Each file is a major Act (1-5) of the play.

Thanks,

Sam
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - just to help the PLer as you want wordperfect - it is better to tell them where to start - and what the ID tag is supposed to say.

Anne
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Hi!

I'd like to PL section 1 :)

Regards Kathrine
Kathrine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thart would be great just post findings in the thread please
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

That was a delightful way to listen attentively to Shakespeare! I have no previous experience with word perfect PL (but have of course read what to listen for), so I mention everything I heard that might be not right.

PL section 1:

0:17 - "The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, by william Shakespeare" is lacking after stating who is doing the reading. By the way, in the information on what to read at the start and at the end of each recording, it says "chapter" - in the recording 'act' is used (as it should, I'm assuming!)

0:19 - I don't know if it is standard to read the "Persons Represented" when reading a play. If it is, this is where it should be.

2:05 - The line goes "Horatio says 'tis but our fantasy". To my (non-native) ear it sounds like "fancy" instead of "fantasy".

10:52 - The line goes "Let's do't, I pray and I this morning know", it appears thus in the recording "let's do't, I pray and this morning (..)"

17:39 - The line is "From the first corse till he that died to-day" and is read "From this corse(..)"

30:50 - The line is "Youth to itself rebels though none else (..)" is read "Youth to itself rebels though nothing else.."

52:05 - The line is "And much offence too. Touching this vision too" is read "(..) this villain too".

54:21 - The line is "That you, at such times seeing me, never shall" is read "(...) seeing me, shall never"

I'll PL section 2, too, if I may :)

Kathrine
Kathrine
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

kathrinee wrote:That was a delightful way to listen attentively to Shakespeare! I have no previous experience with word perfect PL (but have of course read what to listen for), so I mention everything I heard that might be not right.

PL section 1:

0:17 - "The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, by william Shakespeare" is lacking after stating who is doing the reading. By the way, in the information on what to read at the start and at the end of each recording, it says "chapter" - in the recording 'act' is used (as it should, I'm assuming!)

0:19 - I don't know if it is standard to read the "Persons Represented" when reading a play. If it is, this is where it should be.

2:05 - The line goes "Horatio says 'tis but our fantasy". To my (non-native) ear it sounds like "fancy" instead of "fantasy".

10:52 - The line goes "Let's do't, I pray and I this morning know", it appears thus in the recording "let's do't, I pray and this morning (..)"

17:39 - The line is "From the first corse till he that died to-day" and is read "From this corse(..)"

30:50 - The line is "Youth to itself rebels though none else (..)" is read "Youth to itself rebels though nothing else.."

52:05 - The line is "And much offence too. Touching this vision too" is read "(..) this villain too".

54:21 - The line is "That you, at such times seeing me, never shall" is read "(...) seeing me, shall never"

I'll PL section 2, too, if I may :)

Kathrine
Kathrine, please do! In fact, you could be DPL for all the sections if you like.

Sam
Samuel Stinson

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Yes, I'd like that. I haven't been DPL before, but I understand that I'll access the Magic Window - do I just write the same things I wrote in the thread once I've listened to a section?

Kathrine
Kathrine
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

kathrinee wrote:Yes, I'd like that. I haven't been DPL before, but I understand that I'll access the Magic Window - do I just write the same things I wrote in the thread once I've listened to a section?

Kathrine
Kathrine,

That sounds about right to me.

Sam
Samuel Stinson

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Kathrine
Welcome aboard
I need to register your catalogue name before I can add you as DPL - you have a choice :D . Some use their forum names on the catalogue pages, others use their real names (As DPL you get listed on the page as happens if you are a reader, so post what you want.

Off topic - the first thing I PLed when I joined were Sam's reading of Shakespeares sonnets :D

Anne
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thanks Anne - I'm glad to be on board :)

I'll use Kathrine Engan as my catalogue name. I had thought I'd just be interested in reading when I joined (I haven't gotten through the practicalities with decent microphone yet, so I'm not doing any of that), but this sure is a nice way to contribute!

Kathrine
Kathrine