This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-seats-of-the-mighty-by-gilbert-parker/For the time of his story Mr. Parker has chosen the most absorbing period of the romantic eighteenth-century history of Quebec. The curtain rises soon after General Braddock's defeat in Virginia, and the hero, a prisoner in Quebec, curiously entangled in the intrigues of La Pompadour, becomes a part of a strange history, full of adventure and the stress of peril, which culminates only after Wolfe's victory over Montcalm. The material offered by the life and history of old Quebec has never been utilized for the purposes of fiction with the command of plot and incident, the mastery of local color, and the splendid realization of dramatic situations shown in this distinguished and moving romance. The illustrations preserve the atmosphere of the text, for they present the famous buildings, gates, and battle grounds as they appeared at the time of the hero's imprisonment in Quebec. (Summary by D. Appleton and Company, 1896)
- Is there a deadline?
We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted yQour recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
The target completion date for this project is January 2013
- How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Where do I find the text? Source text : http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6229
(PLEASE READ FROM GOOGLE DOCS BELOW - SECTIONS 52-82)
- Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
- SOME OF THE ROLES ARE SMALL, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLAIM MULTIPLE SMALL ROLES
- HERE IS A LINK TO WRITTEN AND AUDIBLE PRONUNCIATIONS OF FRENCH NAMES AND PLACES, PLEASE READ AND LISTEN. INCLUDED IS A CHART FOR YOUR CHARACTER'S NATIONALITY, DETERMINING YOUR PRONUNCIATION OF SOME WORDS! THANK YOU
- SINGING PARTS- There are about 5 small songs, some are church chants, some are male sailor songs, one is a womens choir. Everyone who wishes can post to take part in one or more songs ( sections 18,19). I will send you a link to the tune later, and we will coordinate our little singing groups. If Eric Whitacre can do it with thousands of people, we can do it too! So don't hesitate to post to sing.
If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
Genres for the project:
Keywords that describe the book/play:
Love; Honor; Virtue; Temptation; Intrigue; Dilemma; Surprise; War;
- BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Submit one file per Chapter
- Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
[Role], read by [your name].
If you are reading for narrator, please include for each file:
At the beginning: Chapter [##] of The Seats of The Mighty , by Gilbert Parker . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
At the end: End of Chapter [##]. At the end of the book, add End of The Seats of The Mighty , by Gilbert Parker .
Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording:
Save files as 128 kbps MP3 seatsofthemighty_[role]_[##].mp3 (all lower-case), where ## is the chapter number.
ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kd - KiltedDragon
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.