COMPLETE On Loving God, by St. Bernard of Clairveaux NF/ehl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

All files can be downloaded here:

http://librivox.org/on-loving-god/

Alright, here's the first and easiest to edit of the short theological works I mentioned over here.

I've divided it up into 15 short chapters (the chapter division is in the original), none of which is longer than about 10 minutes. The whole recording, unedited, is about an hour and a half long; it will probably be slightly longer once I have divided it into chapters and added the LibriVox disclaimer to each chapter. I thought it would make the whole listening experience a little easier if it only came in ten-minute chunks. :)

This is the etext I am using:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bernard/loving_god.html

Here's my outline:

Chapter One - Why we should love God, and the measure of that love
Chapter Two - On loving God. How much God deserves love from man in recognition of His gifts, both material and spiritual: and how these gifts should be cherished without neglect of the Giver
Chapter Three - What greater incentives Christians have, more than the heathen, to love God
Chapter Four - Of those who find comfort in there collection of God, or are fittest for His love
Chapter Five - Of the Christian’s debt of love, how great it is
Chapter Six - A brief summary
Chapter Seven - Of love toward God not without reward: and how the hunger of man’s heart cannot be satisfied with earthly things
Chapter Eight - Of the first degree of love: wherein man loves God for self’s sake
Chapter Nine - Of the second and third degrees of love
Chapter Ten - Of the fourth degree of love: wherein man does not even love self save for God’s sake
Chapter Eleven - Of the attainment of this perfection of love only at the resurrection
Chapter Twelve - Of love: out of a letter to the Carthusians
Chapter Thirteen - Of the law of self-will and desire, of slaves and hirelings
Chapter Fourteen - Of the law of the love of sons
Chapter Fifteen - Of the four degrees of love, and of the blessed state of the heavenly fatherland

The whole thing is already done, but I need an MC and server space. (...Starlite?)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Yes I will MC for you. I added NF/ehl to the first post. Here is the info for FTP:
ftp.studioae.com = ftp address
LibriVox =ftp user name
L1br1V0x = ftp password (no vowels - they are all numbers)
Folder name = God
If you need info on how to ftp, you can find it here

Looking forward to hearing this.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I added the reader's list to first post. You can edit this and add listen links. The link will look like this:

http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/God/chapter_01_loving_god.mp3

The red being whatever your files are named.

Info on how to edit reader's list can be found here

Will pm you the passwords.

Will add this in the "to come" section soon...... gotta go get kids ready for school now. :)
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I've uploaded the first four sections to the .ftp server. Let me know if they went through -- I still have a degree of mistrust of the .ftp servers. :)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

By the way, I am tickled absolutely pink that my private folder is called simply "God." Not that I am an egotist or anything, but it's a very flattering thing to be designated, even if only on an .ftp server. :P
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Caeristhiona wrote:By the way, I am tickled absolutely pink that my private folder is called simply "God." Not that I am an egotist or anything, but it's a very flattering thing to be designated, even if only on an .ftp server. :P
ROFLMAO It wasn't named after you! Its after the book. hee hee :lol: :lol:
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I know, I know...

Er, I mean...

Thou namest more fully than thou knowest, child; the nature of the recorder and speaker is yet a mystery to thee.

:P
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Caeristhiona wrote:I know, I know...

Er, I mean...

Thou namest more fully than thou knowest, child; the nature of the recorder and speaker is yet a mystery to thee.

:P
LMAO check out the listen links in the first post....
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Oooooh, thank you! Those are incredibly awesome.

I've actually almost completely finished slicing and dicing the original mega-files, and adding the disclaimers. I'm expecting to have the whole thing up by midnight tonight.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Caeristhiona wrote:Oooooh, thank you! Those are incredibly awesome.

I've actually almost completely finished slicing and dicing the original mega-files, and adding the disclaimers. I'm expecting to have the whole thing up by midnight tonight.
Great, now we just need proof listeners! I will probably be able to catalogue this later this week. (I should be studying right now for my exam tomorow)

I can add the other listen links but they won't be active till the files are there. :)
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I would be quite alarmed if they WERE active before I posted the files. :) How exciting to get something done!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Alright, all 15 chapters should be uploaded by now. :) Let me know if any problems come up...but they all seem fine to me.

Woohoo!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Great! If no one shows up to proof this, you can set up a proofing thread in Listeners wanted. You can add the neat box thingy to the first post following the instructions I gave you and hopefully we can have this done quickly. Oh and in the listeners wanted, in the title add "C-" so people know its complete and can get right on it. I'm in class all day but would love to come home to catalogue this. :wink:
Sayeth

Post by Sayeth »

I'll proof Chapt 1 & 2:

Both were great readings. There are a few occasional pops or plonks, but I wouldn't worry about them if I were you. I have a list of some of the pops if you think you'd want to fix them.
Sayeth

Post by Sayeth »

Chapters 3 & 4 are proof-listened and ok!