COMPLETE: Tartuffe by Moliere - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Tartuffe by Molière (1622 - 1673). Translated by Curtis Hidden Page (1870 - 1946).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/tartuffe-by-moliere/

Volunteers outside the USA: Curtis Hidden Page died in 1946. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
Tartuffe, or the Imposter is one of the most famous theatrical comedies by Molière. Following its first performance, King Louis XIV almost immediately censored the play, probably due to the influence of the archbishop of Paris.

Orgon's family is up in arms because Orgon and his mother have fallen under the influence of Tartuffe, a pious fraud. Tartuffe pretends to speak with divine authority, and Orgon and his mother no longer take any action without first consulting him. Tartuffe's antics do not fool the rest of the family or their friends; they detest him. The stakes are raised when Orgon announces that he will marry Tartuffe to his daughter Mariane (already engaged to Valère). In an effort to show Orgon how awful Tartuffe really is, the family devises a plan to trap Tartuffe into confessing to Elmire, Orgon's wife, his desire for her. When Tartuffe has incriminated himself beyond all help, Orgon orders Tartuffe out of his house. But this wily guest means to stay. It turns out that earlier, Orgon had admitted to Tartuffe that he was in possession of a box of incriminating letters (written by a friend). Tartuffe had taken this box and now tells Orgon that he must leave the house if he does not want to be exposed. Later that day, Tartuffe returns with a police officer to begin the eviction. But to his surprise, the police officer arrests him instead. The enlightened King Louis XIV has heard of the injustices happening in the house and decides to intervene.

Though Tartuffe was received well by the public and even by Louis XIV, it immediately sparked conflict amongst many different groups who were offended by the play. Tartuffe's popularity was cut short when the Archbishop of Paris issued an edict threatening excommunication for anyone who watched, performed in, or read the play.
(Temporary summary from Wikipedia)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    Please submit your recordings within 1 month of placing your claim. If you need a little more time, just post in the thread to ask for an extension -- I'll be happy to give you one (within reason :)) as long as I've heard from you. If I haven't heard back from you within a month of your claim, I'll open your role for another reader. If at any time you need to relinquish your role, that's no problem, just let me know; Real Life happens to all of us.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2027
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.

Please do NOT do any volume adjustment, noise cleaning, or processing to your file other than editing out mistakes. The editor will be processing all the recordings to make them sound seamless, and multiple processing passes sometimes distort the voice.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Act [#] of Tartuffe , by Molière . Translated by Curtis Hidden Page This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Tartuffe , by Molière . Translated by Curtis Hidden Page

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    tartuffe_[role]_[#].mp3
    (all lower-case), where # is the act number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: law - chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Laurie Anne
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Can I have Dorine? :)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

:lol: That was quick! Yes, and I will get you officially in the MW in a bit.

I will be reading the stage directions, and David (aradlaw) has very kindly volunteered to PL and edit (!).
Laurie Anne
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

chocoholic wrote::lol: That was quick! Yes, and I will get you officially in the MW in a bit.

I will be reading the stage directions, and David (aradlaw) has very kindly volunteered to PL and edit (!).
Haha, I was just about to walk away from my computer when it popped up! :) And wow, David, what a guy! :D
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

JoFriday21 wrote:...And wow, David, what a guy! :D
:oops: Aw shucks

and may I have Section 10 - M. Loyal, a bailiff please. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

May I read Mariane?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, David and Elizabeth, they're yours!

Anyone have any objections to me leaving off the footnotes? I think they're just going to be a distraction, though I could include them at the end of each scene if consensus is that they are important. (They are by the translator, best as I can tell, and mostly give historical background. There aren't many of them.)
Laurie Anne
vanTalerie

Post by vanTalerie »

May I read Elmire, please?
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

The footnotes wouldn't have been 'performed' in the play, leave them out. (less for the narrator to read) :twisted:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Valerie, Elmire is all yours! By the way, JoFriday is who had PM'd me about reading Dorine before you posted in the other thread, so at least it was not a third party beating you both to the punch. :) (Hope you don't mind me telling that, Amanda...) Thank you both, and everyone else too, for being interested and volunteering to help!
aradlaw wrote:(less for the narrator to read)
Yes, that had crossed my mind too :lol: -- less for the editor to edit as well, eh?
Laurie Anne
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

I'll take Madame Pernelle... :)
This would be my first major role.. :D
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

chocoholic wrote:Thanks, Valerie, Elmire is all yours! By the way, JoFriday is who had PM'd me about reading Dorine before you posted in the other thread, so at least it was not a third party beating you both to the punch. :) (Hope you don't mind me telling that, Amanda...) Thank you both, and everyone else too, for being interested and volunteering to help!
aradlaw wrote:(less for the narrator to read)
Yes, that had crossed my mind too :lol: -- less for the editor to edit as well, eh?
I don't mind - I just got lucky I hadn't left my computer yet! ;)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, April, have fun with it!

Amanda -- you know you're addicted to LV when...
:D
Laurie Anne
sidhu177

Post by sidhu177 »

can i be the brother-in-law of orgon -->cleante, ?
Of my own bliss I'll pay the price,And be myself my sacrifice.
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

chocoholic wrote:Thanks, April, have fun with it!

Amanda -- you know you're addicted to LV when...
:D
You're telling me!!! :D :D