COMPLETE: Children of the Ghetto by Israel Zangwill -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Children of the Ghetto by Israel Zangwill (1864 - 1926).
In this 1892 novel of London's Jewish East End, Israel Zangwill sets the apparently irrational and decidedly indecorous religious practices of transplanted eastern European Jews against the forces of assimilation. Zangwill's knowledge of Yiddishkeit and skill in melodrama created a series of unforgettable vignettes that had a significant effect on the public perception of this much stigmatized immigrant group.

Israel Zangwill (1864-1926) was born in London of Russian and Polish parents. He coined the term cultural "melting pot". (Summary by Adrian Praetzellis)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/children-of-the-ghetto-by-israel-zangwill/

• Target completion date: March 2013 -- Ha! Well that's not happening. December 2013?
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12680
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[mw]6585[/mw]

Genres for the project:
    fiction, historical-fiction, religion

Keywords that describe the book:
    Jews; Jewish history; Anglo-Jewish life; East End; London
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Children of the Ghetto . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Children of the Ghetto , by Israel Zangwill . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Children of the Ghetto by Israel Zangwill . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Children of the Ghetto , by Israel Zangwill . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    childrenoftheghetto_##_zangwill.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. childrenoftheghetto_01_zangwill.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 08 - Chap 5 part 2 Malka
    Artist: Israel Zangwill
    Album: Children of the Ghetto

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Adrian on November 24th, 2013, 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Adrian,

I'll MC for you. MW will be available shortly. :)
Jo
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks Jo!

For the benefit of any potential DPLs let me say that I plan to post one section/week.

Regards,

Adrian
Purzel

Post by Purzel »

I'd like to DPL this for you, if you don't already have somebody lined up?
Isabell
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'd like to DPL this for you, if you don't already have somebody lined up?
Yes, please be the DPL for this project.
Thank you, Isabell. I hope you enjoy the book.

Adrian
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Section 00 Proem/Preface

32:46

childrenoftheghetto_00_zangwill.mp3

Adrian
Purzel

Post by Purzel »

Downloading :D .
Isabell
Purzel

Post by Purzel »

I just had the most curious experience. To cut a long story (which follows in the next paragraph) short, there seems to be a problem with the file.

I was sure I downloaded Section 00. Just now I tried to (finally!) listen to it after a few very busy days, but the file won't play in any of my players. So I looked at the file size and it was only 319 bytes (impossible!). I downloaded it again, with the same result. As last resort I tried to listen to it in the browser directly, but only got an error message ("the requested URL ... was not found on this server").

So could it perhaps be that something with the upload went wrong or that the link is wrong?
Isabell
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The link in the MW is in the wrong format. Try this link instead

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/childrenoftheghetto_00_zangwill.mp3
Jo
Purzel

Post by Purzel »

That seems to be working better, thanks.

PL will probably come tomorow.
Isabell
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The link in the MW is in the wrong format.
My apologies for the mess-up. Won't happen again :-(

Adrian
Purzel

Post by Purzel »

Sorry for the late feedback, I actually listened to the file last sunday but somehow I simply forgot to post afterwards. Here it comes at last:

Section 00 - Proem: PL OK
Isabell
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Chapter 1

22:15

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/childrenoftheghetto_01_zangwill.mp3

Just a note to say that if you speak Israeli Hebrew you will find my Ashkenaz pronunciation strange. The same goes if you speak Deutsch but not Yiddish, which are similar enough to be confusing -- "Wie viel" is "viffl", "Tag" is "tog", ayns/tsvey/dray/feer/finif, etc.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the story.

Adrian
Purzel

Post by Purzel »

Thanks for the warning, especially concerning the Yiddish. My native language is German, so I probably would have stumbled over that (always interesting to watch a television series from the US where someone who is supposed to be a German native speaker speaks the language; more often than not you need quite a bit of imagination to make any sense of it in your own mother tongue :lol: , so not even the professionals manage to make everything perfect).

Well, now for the important part of this post:

Chapter 1 is PL:OK
Isabell
Adrian

Post by Adrian »