[COMPLETE}Middlemarch by George Eliot - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Middlemarch by George Eliot (1819 - 1880) .

This marvelous project is complete and can be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/middlemarch-version-2-by-george-eliot/
Middlemarch: A Study of Provincial Life is a novel by George Eliot, the pen name of Mary Anne Evans, later Marian Evans. It is her seventh novel, begun in 1869 and then put aside during the final illness of Thornton Lewes, the son of her companion George Henry Lewes. During the following year Eliot resumed work, fusing together several stories into a coherent whole, and during 1871–72 the novel appeared in serial form. The first one-volume edition was published in 1874, and attracted large sales. Subtitled "A Study of Provincial Life," the novel is set in the fictitious Midlands town of Middlemarch during the period 1830–32. It has multiple plots with a large cast of characters, and in addition to its distinct though interlocking narratives it pursues a number of underlying themes, including the status of women, the nature of marriage, idealism and self-interest, religion and hypocrisy, political reform, and education. The pace is leisurely, the tone is mildly didactic (with an authorial voice that occasionally bursts through the narrative), and the canvas is very broad. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: --
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/145
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    fiction, literature

Keywords that describe the book:
    Midlands; Social Criticism
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Middlemarch . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Middlemarch , by George Eliot . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Middlemarch by George Eliot . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Middlemarch , by George Eliot . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    middlemarch_##_eliot.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. middlemarch_01_eliot.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: George Eliot
    Album: Middlemarch

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Margaret on July 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Okay, I have a confession to make: Middlemarch is the one book I was assigned in college that I used the Cliff's Notes for instead of reading the book. I had to read it and write a paper on it in a week and by the Wednesday I realized I was never going to get through. Despite this, I will MC this for you. :) I'm on my way to bed but I will get a MW for you in the morning. In the meantime feel free to upload files to my folder.
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Marge and Arielle,

May I DPL? :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Of course! Thank you April.
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

wildemoose wrote:Okay, I have a confession to make: Middlemarch is the one book I was assigned in college that I used the Cliff's Notes for instead of reading the book.
If that's your dirtiest secret, you're a good girl :wink:
~ Gore Vidal ~
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

@Arielle: I never managed to finish this myself.... what's good is that I was never pressured to finish reading this within a week :P (How are you ever going to finish this in a week no? Unless you have full 24 hours of reading time everyday of the week I doubt it can be finished...)

@Margaret: With this I'll be able to finish MIddlemarch. :)
blog

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Should be all set! Margaret, it's the dirtiest that I'm willing to confess online, at any rate. :wink:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

~ Gore Vidal ~
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Moving to Going Solo!
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Marge, I'm currently listening to section 1... and I noticed you didn't noise-cleaned the file. You don't have to do anything at the moment though :)
blog

Animo La Salle!
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

So, the only thing you need to do Marge is to noise-clean the file. And while you're at it can you please take out the noise at the end silence?
blog

Animo La Salle!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

So, the only thing you need to do Marge is to noise-clean the file. And while you're at it can you please take out the noise at the end silence?

Will do!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/middlemarch_02_eliot.mp3
Duration - 20:40
~ Gore Vidal ~
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Section 2 has a volume of 94.4...
Can you please deamp it at around 88-91 Marge?
blog

Animo La Salle!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

~ Gore Vidal ~
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

April - I de-amped Chapter 2. I am not very knowledgeable about Audacity, and am not sure how you see the volume, so hopefully it's about where it should be now.
~ Gore Vidal ~