COMPLETE The Right of Way by Gilbert Parker - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

The Right of Way by Gilbert Parker (1862 - 1932) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-right-of-way-by-gilbert-parker/
Charley Steele is a successful and brilliant Canadian lawyer. He has a nagging wife, Kathleen, and a lazy brother-in- law, Billy. In spite of his success, he is disillusioned with his life, drinks too much, and is deeply troubled by his agnosticism which leads to trouble and confusion. When Billy embezzles money, Charley discovers the theft and sets out to make things right. Charley however, ends up in a waterfront saloon where he encounters a barroom brawl and becomes unconscious. Charley loses his memory and ends up in the Canadian Northwoods where he falls in love with a pretty postmistress, Rosalie. He finds he is perfectly content with his "new" life but when his memory returns, he is deeply disturbed by his past and ponders whether to return to his old life to make amends. Mystery, romance, and intrigue are interwoven throughout the novel. The Right of Way was made into movies in 1915, 1920, and 1931. (Summary by Tom Weiss)
  • Target completion date: 2012-May-31
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6249
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard - mim@can requests to be DPL

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: To be completed before cataloging

Keywords that describe the book: To be completed before cataloging
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Right of Way - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Right of Way, by Gilbert Parker . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Right of Way by Gilbert Parker . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Right of Way , by Gilbert Parker . "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    rightofway_##_parker.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. rightofway_01_parker.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Gilbert Parker
    Album: The Right of Way

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by y2kdaddio on March 28th, 2012, 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Whoever MC's this book, I have had time to go through and piece together the chapters. I will only need 19 sections.

Thanks
Y2K
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi y2k, i can mc this for you. ill get you a magic window right away :)

CK
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the magic window is up and running. i added mim@can as dpl.
i had a look at the text - please let me know if you end up needing more sections, it appears that if you cram those 63 chapters into 19 sections, the files might get awfully long. but thats of course up to you.

please let me know if you meant to include section 0 into these 19 or not, if not, ill add you another one as soon as you let me know :)

CK
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Thanks Carolin. I originally had 63 sections but as I started to look at the text I found that some of the chapters are quite short. So, I broke each section into about 6,000 words. I think that should bring me out to the 40 to 50 minute per section range somewhere.

Section 00 is part of the sections and will be the introduction. It will be shorter than the rest but it appears it should be separate from the actual book text.

Look forward to working with you on this project.

Tom
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, tom. now that we are all set, ill move us over to going solo :)

CK
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Sections 00 and 01 uploaded
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

And I am here to do the listening .... :D
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde
As always:

Mim
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

@ 3:21

[[ Indifferent ]] as he seemed, seldom speaking to the prisoner, often looking out of the windows to the cool green trees far over on the hill, absorbed and unbusinesslike, yet judge and jury came to see, before the second day was done, that he had let no essential thing pass, that the questions he asked had either a pregnant aptness, opened up new avenues of deliberation, or were touched with mystery—seemed to have a longer reach {{ ****}} than the moment or the hour.

I hear Indeed and there is a repeat @ about 3:48 of [than that moment ]

@ 11:45

He had undertaken the defence of the prisoner because it was his duty as a lawyer to see that the law justified itself; that it satisfied every demand of proof to the last atom of certainty; that it met the final possibility of doubt with evidence perfect and inviolate if circumstantial, [[ and uncontradictory if eye-witness, if tell-tale incident, ]] were to furnish basis of proof.

Repeat here

@ 28:35
We were under the [[ lash ]] of fear.

I hear leash

@ 36:33
To [[ her ]] the verdict of the jury was not in favour of the prisoner at the bar—she did not think of him. It was in favour of Charley Steele.

I hear hear
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde
As always:

Mim
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Intro is ok? Pretty ragged start, eh?
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

y2kdaddio wrote:Intro is ok? Pretty ragged start, eh?
The ontro is good to go! The rest looks like lots because of the long sentences! Seems like an interesting book!

Mim
Oscar Wilde
As always:

Mim
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Section 01 corrected and uploaded.

Now (unfortunately) to some "real world" work :( Gotta pay the bills!
y2kdaddio

Post by y2kdaddio »

Section 2 uploaded
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

y2kdaddio wrote:Section 2 uploaded
Section 2
@ 7:40

Charley looked through his monocle at the crowd reflectively, his head held a little to one side [[ in a questioning sort of way, on his lips the ghost of a smile]] —not a reassuring smile.
Omitted part of sentence

@ 21:24
[[ Suddenly ]] he turned to the desk and opened a tin box.

I hear slowly
Oscar Wilde
As always:

Mim
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

y2kdaddio wrote:Section 01 corrected and uploaded.

Now (unfortunately) to some "real world" work :( Gotta pay the bills!
All okay!
Oscar Wilde
As always:

Mim