COMPLETE Satires and Profanities by James Thomson - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi CK--

This collection looks quite interesting! Could I give Section 01 a try, please?
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

sure lucretia :D

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good morning, CK--

I have to say that I really like this selection--couldn't quit smiling as I did a first read on it. (May have to grab another section later.)

But I was baffled by a word on the first page of the Gutenberg text: "...brought an action against his vicar, the Kev. Flavel S. Cook"--??

I tried to find the meaning of the abbreviation (no luck), but then looked on archive.org to discover that their copy of the book shows it as "Rev."--which makes a lot more sense. So unless you think I should do otherwise, I will deviate from our authorized text and read it as "Reverend".

Thanks! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi lucretia -- please do read it as "reverend", it is a rather obvious transcription error. you will find a lot of those, mostly the problems are with rn-m, l-f-t-i and h-n. not so easy for the program to translate the scans to text ;)

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Well, I supposed that "Kev." could possibly be a legit abbreviation for some honorific given to clergy back in that time period in England--but if so, I certainly didn't have a clue what it might be. (When I searched for "Kev." I got results stating that it was a scientific measurement--not so relevant to the text!)

Thanks, CK--I will proceed with the recording!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

when youve been reading these scanned texts for a while, you will start seeing these errors more easily. in my last solo, i found at least one in every chapter. dont worry about them too much :)

thanks a lot for your effort though, and im glad you like the article!

CK
acloward

Post by acloward »

I will take section 7. :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi aaron, welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to that section, only please let me know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog when the book is complete! we can also link to your personal website or blog.

CK
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Hi CK!

Here's my section 22. :)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/satiresprofanities_22_thomson.mp3
duration: 06:45

Took me an hour and a half to record this 7-minute baby, the construction beside my yard's killing me! There were sounds of hammer everywhere!
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks a lot april!

i share the construction problem with you -- but they should be done with laying the fundament soon hopefully so that they can stop blowing holes into the mountain with loads of tnt.
acloward

Post by acloward »

Hi!

Sorry about that. :oops: Was too excited to start recording. :) My alias can be the same as my forum name, acloward, or if its not customary to use our name, you can use FlyingCub. My website is www.aaroncloward.com, although I have yet to create a page for LibriVox recordings.

Here's Section 7 and it's ready for proof-listening. As this is my first official recording, please feel free to be more critical in feedback. Ruth and I struggled for a while to get good settings to produce a fairly clean copy.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/thomson7final.mp3
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks aaron! ill sign you up presently. click on your name in the magic window to get to your personal catalog page.

a note for the future: please note that all our files follow a certain scheme: (titleinoneword_xx_authorsurname) which is specified in the first post. please follow this scheme next time. no need to upload another file with the correct name now though, i can fix it directly on the uploader if april ok's your recording :)

edited to add: aaron, please also let us know how long the recording is (mm:ss). this is needed to check whether any part of the recording was chopped off during up or download. thanks!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

and i listened to section 22: it is pl ok :D

CK
Carolin
acloward

Post by acloward »

Carolin,

Very very good. :thumbs: Thanks for the tidbits. I'm sure these things will become second nature as I gain experience. I really enjoyed reading from this author and will definitely like to contribute another section. I'll wait before I start a new one, just to make sure I didn't make some big blunder in the first submission and end up making the same error twice. :mrgreen:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

yes, the routine is established really quickly :)

would you please only let me know how long the recording is? i forgot to ask earlier -- the duration is needed for us to check if a part of the file was chopped off during up- or download. thanks!
Carolin