COMPLETEThe Colored Patriots of the American Revolution - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

I changed the OP so that it reflects the naming convention of 'coloredpatriots1776.....' as the filename. It took me a minute to remember, but the reason why I opted for this is because Nell has another book with a similar title - "Services of Colored Americans in the Wars of 1776 and 1812". I probably won't do this book, but should another recorder want to come at a future time and record it, it seemed like it would make future naming conventions easier for that title.

I re-uploaded 04. Should be ready to go.

Thanks for being diligent, I know of some people who are likely to use it in an educational setting.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi again--

I spot-checked Section 04--edits are all very smooth and sounds great! :thumbs:

Section 04: PL OK

And you're welcome on the diligent PL'ing--I try to approach it from this perspective:
"If this were my recording project, would I want the PL'er to point this out to me?"
--so I'm glad that you don't think I'm being too nit-picky.

Will watch for next section from you...
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hello again--

I listened to the new section yesterday evening, and it sounded great! :thumbs:

Section 06: PL OK

Have a good afternoon--
Kind regards,
Lucretia
progressingamerica

Lucrecia,

On page 38 (about 2:40) there was something I had a bit of a time with, perhaps you could make a small recommendation.

Where it states:
As early as 1701, a vote was enlered upon the records of Boston to the following effect : — 'The Representatives are desired to promote the encouraging the bringing of white servants, and to put a period to negroes being slaves
Let me know if you think I should've recorded this part differently.

Thanks.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/coloredpatriots1776_07_nell.mp3
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi progressingamerica--

I listened to your file last night--very nice recording! :thumbs: I do not have any notes--great job!

Section 07: PL OK

As far as the quote that you asked about--I think that you handled it just fine. You set it off in quotes, and it was not confusing at all. I don't see that it should be changed. You did a good job on all of the other "petitions" and "resolutions" as well.

I'll watch for your next section. Have a good day...
Kind regards,
Lucretia
progressingamerica

In the section for Phillis Wheatley, on page 71 a "M M Odell" is mentioned in the footnote in conjunction with a George W Light.

I have recorded her name in full as "Margaretta Matilda Odell".

See: http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/wheatley/summary.html
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Wow! This is going to be a great addition to my Liberation bookshelf!

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, progressingamerica--good to hear from you again.

I listened to your new section--a very nice reading! :thumbs: One note for you--

Section 08:
--At ~15:48 the text shows "And must not the unhappy condition of these"--but I hear "And must not the happy condition of these".

Also, since you are making a correction anyway, could you please add the Section ## to the Track Title in the ID3 tag? So it should show "08 - Chapter 1 - Massachusetts - Mum Bett"--I guess we need the leading numeric Section ## for cataloging purposes.

Have a good evening! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
progressingamerica

Thanks. I saw your PL notes for 08 a few days ago and had forgotten about them, I'll try to get you the correction in the next day or two. I specifically split the book open to that section so I can't forget again. Here's 09.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/coloredpatriots1776_09_nell.mp3

For section 10, Paul Cuffe, the actual pronunciation is "Cuff-fee". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhW6U0icRnE Some places actually mis-spell it on purpose such as : http://www.paulcuffee.org/ to make it visually easier to get the name right phonetically.

They had a page up that explicitly said that very thing(about adding an extra e), but for whatever reason it's gone now.

Also, section 11 the table of contents lists it as "Constitutional Convention in regard to Colored Citizens" which is what I put in the magic window, but on page 101 the chapter simply starts out as "The Equal Rights Movement".

I was thinking that I could put "Constitutional Convention in regard to Colored Citizens and the Equal Rights Movement" into the ID tag for that section, while only recording "The Equal Rights Movement" into audio as that's what the actual page says. What do you think would be best?

Edit:
Alright, I fixed that file per your previous PL, it should be correct now.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/coloredpatriots1776_08_nell.mp3

For future reference could you do me a favor? You made note of the audiotime(in this section, it was 15:48, which is great and helpful) page number as well? In this case, page 61? The bigger the section, the larger the haystack becomes. :-)
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, progressingamerica--

I looked at the text in Section 11. I am a big proponent of reading the words "as the author wrote them" (although I do think that some discretion about reading footnotes also makes sense)--so I agree with your method of reading Section 11. But then you've got it all covered by putting both headings in the MW. :thumbs:

No problem on putting the page number in my post if I have any PL notes--happy to do it. I will try to listen to the files in the next few days. I am currently having only limited access to my computer, but can grab a few minutes here and there to listen.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good morning--

I listened to the two files--all good! :)

Section 08: PL OK
Section 09: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, progressingamerica--

I listened to your new section this evening--it was really excellent! :thumbs: The only thing needed is some extra silence at the end. We need to have 10 seconds of silence at the end because the recording is longer than 30 minutes. That's it. If you could please add some silence, then re-upload the file for me, that would be great!

Have a good evening-- :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia