COMPLETEThe Colored Patriots of the American Revolution - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

no, it is great that you catch problems if there are any to warn me what i have to pay attention to when i catalog. but since i can change it so easily, we prefer that no second file is being uploaded :)

thanks for paying so close attention!

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

You know, CK, that makes perfect sense! (Just hoping not to make too many mistakes here, don't want to make your job any more difficult...)

I suppose all of the newbies are hugely enthusiastic, but I am truly so pleased to be participating in the LibriVox effort. And I admire all of you who have spent so much time and effort at LibriVox before my arrival--bravo!! :clap:

Have a great day,
Lucretia
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

its great to have each one of you here lucretia. you will have all the necessary experience in no time :D

CK
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

I updated the section names to help clear up any confusion. I started with the second introduction first.

Also, I may have miscounted the amount of sections(by one) that are going to be in the recording, but for now that should be fine. I can figure that out as I go along.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, just tell me once you know if you need more or less sections, i can change it then :)

there is one small problem with your section numbers -- we need a number in each of them in order to get them to sort correctly. the track number sometimes doesnt transfer, so that when the files are imported into a media player, they are sorted alphabetically, which would completely mess up the order of your chapter one. therefore, we add a number to the tags. i edited the first few tags to show you what i mean. would you mind editing the rest of them as well? that would be great :)

CK
progressingamerica

I'll make sure the numbering keeps it in proper order. :)
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good afternoon--

I've listened to all new files--very nice readings. But now that we have sections and titles in the MW, we may have some admin things to iron out:

Section 00 (Intro by H.B. Stowe) file is saved as "coloredpatriots1776_01_nell.mp3"
Section 01 (Intro by Wendell Phillips) file is saved as "coloredpatriots1776_02_nell.mp3" (I gave PL OK on this file back on March 15 while MW was still incomplete)
Section 02 (Preface by Wm. Nell & Omissions) file is saved as "coloredpatriots1776_03_nell.mp3"
Section 03 (Chapter 1, part 1) file is saved as "coloredpatriots1776_04_nell.mp3"

So CK, how critical is it for your tasks that the file names match up with the Section #'s of the readings? If it is critical, do they need to be corrected and re-uploaded? Or can you just change them on your end? If no big problem, then that is a good thing! :)

Also, the ID3 tags on all three of the new files are incorrect for the Track Title. I don't know if you just want to continue to correct them on your end.

Note to progressingamerica: As a reader myself, I have been advised by others here at LibriVox that it is often best to just "copy and paste" from the Title column field in the MW to the Track Title ID3 metadata tag--that way no typos and everything can be cataloged correctly.

As for my PL notes, just a few things that might be significant enough to check:
Section 00 (Intro by H.B. Stowe) - needs 5 seconds at end of recording, but otherwise PL OK

Section 02 (Preface by Wm. Nell & Omissions):
At ~4.46 the text says "that will ere long manifest itself" but I hear "that will here long manifest itself"

Section 03 (Chapter 1, part 1):
At ~8:52 the text says "justice was not fairly meted out" but I hear "just was not fairly metted out" (I've always heard this pronounced like "meet-ed" but you may feel that there is an alternative pronunciation.)
At ~9:58 the text says "away in the dawn of our Revolution" but I hear "away in the dark of our Revolution"
At ~11:04 the text says "Christopher Attucks" but I hear "Crispus Attucks"--but perhaps you deliberately made that change?
At ~12:06 the text says "rather have heard the rattling of British guns again" but I hear "than have heard the rattling of British guns again" (it kind of changes the meaning of the passage)

EDIT TO POST: Also, all three files are a bit loud--Section 00 at 91.8 dB, Section 02 at 92.2 dB, Section 03 at 91.6 dB, so you might want to de-amplify -3.0 to get closer to 89 dB.

I enjoyed the readings!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
progressingamerica

Thanks for catching those errors, I know some people who are waiting for me to finish this book, so I want it done right.

I've re-uploaded the files, let me know.

Except for one - Christopher Attucks. I meant to make that change. See page 11 of the book labeled 'errata'. There is no Christopher Attucks. Audiobook listeners won't have the ability to flip back and forth on pages, this would just be confusing.

Thanks
progressingamerica

Because I've split up chapter 1 into segments, I'm going to re-visit the table of contents for each section to give the recording conformity, as well as make it easier to follow. The next section will be "Colored Americans on Bunker Hill", covering that as well as other people/topics as listed on page 3: Henry Hill, Seymour Burr, Jeremy Jonah, A brave colored artillerist, Governor Hancock's Flag, and Big Dick.

The only one not specifically listed in the table is Henry Hill, but I figured it made more sense to leave chapter 1 section 1 devoted entirely to the commentary about Crispus Attucks. It doesn't change the content of the book at all, just another name to the content list at the beginning of chapter 1 section 2.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good evening--

All edits very smooth--sounds good!

Section 00: PL OK
Section 02: PL OK
Section 03: PL OK

For future files that you complete and upload, I will mention that there is still an issue with the the ID3 metadata tags. In the Track Title field, the MC's need to see the identical info as shown in the MW--so, for example, the Track Title tag for Section 03 should be:

03 - Chapter 1 - Massachusetts, Crispus Attucks

Looking forward to the next section--
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the thing with the tags is that some of our listeners rely on those to have the files sort in the correct order. the most important thing is the number in the beginning of the title tag, because this is to make sure that the files sort right. the track number could do that, but the track number does not carry over to the derived files, so that our listeners rely on the title tags for this. if you dont include the number there, most of the sections of chapter one will sort in a media player to be after the chapters, because they would by default sort in alphabetical order.

i have edited the first four or five title tags in the magic window for you earlier, to show you what i mean. it would be cool if you could edit the rest and stick to that format :)

please note that the title tags will be like this either way, if you like it or not ;), but if i have to edit all the tags in the cataloging process it will take me a lot more time than if you would just export the tracks with the correct tags.

CK
Carolin
progressingamerica

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/coloredpatriots1776_04_nell.mp3

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/coloredpatriots1776_05_nell.mp3

So I think I got the tags right this time. I even copied and pasted them from the window, and still somehow managed to get it wrong and had to do it again. :oops: I don't have an explanation for why this is vexing me this way.

Let me know.

Thanks.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good evening--

I've listened to the new sections--very nice, as usual! :)

Will make note of a few things:
Section 04:
--At ~1:02 the text says "Chilicothe Advertiser"--but I hear "Chilicothe Adviser" (this is not a big thing, but if you are making other corrections to the file anyway, you may want to fix it?)
--At ~4:40 the text says "for which he was severely caned"--but I hear "for which he was severely canned".
--At ~12:34 there is the sound of a pretty sizable clunk. I think that you might have intended to edit it out because there is some silence on both sides of it. At any rate, it is a bit distracting from the reading, and I think that it could easily be cut out.

Section 05: PL OK :thumbs:

Only one other question (and this one is my bad for not noticing earlier)--In the first post of this project, the file name is specified as "coloredpatriots_##_nell.mp3". The files so far have consistently been named "coloredpatriots1776_##_nell.mp3". But as long as they are consistently named, I don't know if any corrections are necessary--? I guess, CK, that you and progressingamerica will decide. And I apologize for not noticing sooner.

(Note: And the ID3 tags look fine this time.)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the file name should only be consistent. if you like to keep that 1776 in the file name, no problem, if not, i can edit the files that are in until now, also no problem :)

the thing with the tags comes easier as you get more experience. please dont worry too much over them. i recommend fixing them all in the magic window so that you know that at least the mw is in order. when you get them wrong for some reason, a little note in the mw (tags) will be enough and i can fix them when i catalog :)
Carolin