COMPLETE: Manfred by Lord Byron- alg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

That may well be, and we can take a look at it. However the policy's now been explained to you by several people. You're more than welcome to do a version with sound effects and upload it to IA yourself, but we can't accept it for Librivox.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Everyone,

I figured we were just talking about reader created sound effects so it would be okay. Thanks to you all for pointing out the official stance on it; that it would be best to just steer clear of them altogether.

Sorry for the confusion on my part, Tim. We better have no sound effects and play it safe.

-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Woah, hang on a second. People keep saying SOME sound effects effects are allowed:

"I'm okay with a knock on the table which is obviously generated by the reader when the script calls for a knock at the door, but anything more than that makes me nervous." -- wildemoose
"We do allow SOME sound effects where the script specifically calls for them (a knock, a dog bark, etc.), but not ambiance sounds." -- TriciaG
"I now hear you think: but knocking is allowed. [...] I’ll have to accept that" -- bart

And this is all I said as my plan: "I guess my current plan is to continue with sound effects but be extremely cautious of their providence and PD verifiability..." which strictly speaking that is in agreement with what you have said.

Now, some are saying or strongly implying that no sound effects are not allowed at all. I need a practical guideline that I can actually apply to Manfred. Can you either come to a consensus as to what is allowed or we can discuss every minutiae on the forum (which is clearly not practical). When I stated my plan, the only thing I said I would do was to use sound effects and people are reading too much into what I said. We are in agreement they are allowed but the question now is to what extent are they allowed. As well as these points of discussion, I also will continue to question librivox policy. That doesn't necessarily mean that I won't eventually abide by it. Last time I checked, debate was not a punishable offence.

Yes, I mentioned the possibility of using a broader range of effects and I acknowledge that this is discouraged. I didn't say I was definitely going to do that and I feel threats to not catalogue the work or suggesting I might resign as slightly over reacting. I am not particularly fussed about Librivox's sound effects policy. I am quite annoyed that the policies are not clear. This is not the first time I have encountered this issue. I was reading Neitzsche's Joyful Wisdom and my published and PD copy had substituted the title for the modern title translation of Gay Science. As you can imagine I was told to use the Gutenberg copy. I asked for where the librivox policy was documented and it is the same : "because the admins said so". This has since been rectified but librivox policy should be properly documented to prevent this kind of misunderstanding.

Tim

PS: Just to make the discussion slightly more relevant, forget the knocking on the door and discuss the "The Shepherd's pipe in the distance is heard." That might get me going in the right direction.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

"The Shepherd's pipe in the distance is heard" is not allowed. There are projects which are exceptions to our no sound effects/no music policy, however, this is not one of them. No sound effects in Manfred, please.
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

wildemoose,

That doesn't appear to be consistent with what TriciaG has said.

Tim
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

We have had a discussion in the admin forum and have come to a consensus. This is the final word on the matter.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I apologize for adding to the confusion. No pipes, please.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can I be the 6th Spirit please?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

CatRose, I have assigned the part to you. Please read the solo lines for the part, as well as the chorus sections at the same speed as the sound files I linked to in my 25th March forum post.

Unfortunately that will probably be my last action as BC. After some behind the scenes discussion and reflection, I have decided to resign as BC and editor. This is mainly in protest of admin actions, including all four admins stating at some point that at least some sound effects were acceptable (with Bart even mentioning that the "majority here" think some effects are OK) and then the admins coming to a consensus in private that sound effects are not acceptable.

I will still continue as a reader. If there are any corrections for PL, let me know. Thanks to the readers that have completed their sections, and thanks to my MC, Amy (alg1001), who has been supportive through this process.

Tim
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I am sorry that you are resigning as BC, Tim. I will watch the project.

If anyone has interest in book coordinating this please let me know!
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
catrose

Post by catrose »

Done! In order to get the spirit's hymn (?) and the other part where we all speak together, I had to record the voice of 2nd spirit and talk along. Listen if you don't understand this!
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/manfred_sixspririt.mp3
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi CatRose,

I listened to see what you meant. I think will work just fine.

Thank you for your part!
-Amy
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Amy, I can BC and edit this project. I've tidied up the MW a bit to make it clearer which parts are complete and which are pending.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Elizabeth,

That is awesome!

Thank you so much!

-Amy :9:
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Narrator, Seventh Spirit and Spirit in Act 3 are all recorded; I'm not going to upload them, though - but rather keep them in Audacity for editing purposes.