FINIS [WP] A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea by Allan Cunningham

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
loyaleagle

Post by loyaleagle » March 6th, 2012, 12:15 am

Here's mine:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_jr.mp3

Duration: 1:23

Now this is with a new mic setup so I'd love a little feedback. I think I've gotten rid of all the background noise AND a new pop filter seems to have defeated the verbal spikes. How do you feel about the "sound" of the mic. Warm or flat or what? And no I don't have any idea what those words mean to sound people :P

Also, does anybody know what a -10dB setting is for? I have a Samson Go Mic and I'm not sure if I should be using it or not....

Thanks!
Jimmy

ShaunLankford

Post by ShaunLankford » March 6th, 2012, 7:54 am

loyaleagle wrote:Also, does anybody know what a -10dB setting is for? I have a Samson Go Mic and I'm not sure if I should be using it or not....

Thanks!
Jimmy
Jimmy,

As far as I can tell, that setting is for recording things that are loud and need to be cut back some. I would imagine that you would not want to do voice recordings on that setting.

Libertyness

Post by Libertyness » March 6th, 2012, 11:11 am

Jannie - Wonderful! PL-OK

Leanne - Great job! PL-OK

James - Nicely done! PL-OK. I have absolutely zero expertise when it comes to microphone setups. Someone else will be better able to help you with the sound of your recording. To my untrained ears it sounds just fine. The only thing I would say is that it sounds roomy. Like you can hear the sound bouncing off the room in your recording? Does that make sense? (Disclaimer: that may or may not be what it is I'm hearing) Anyway, you might benefit from some sound dampening material in your recording space? Maybe. My opinion means little. Just thought I'd try. If no one speaks up in this thread, you can cross post your recording to Listeners & Editors Wanted with your specific listening request.

Thanks for everyone's recordings so far! I've had a few things do at work this week and haven't gotten around to recording my own rendition yet. Soon enough!
Liberty

Mike001

Post by Mike001 » March 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

RuthieG wrote:http://www.archive.org/stream/navalsongsacoll00unkngoog#page/n66/mode/2up

There are quite a few tunes to this available on the web. The above one is the one that I know best.

Ruth
"Naval Songs"

A Navy? Britain used to have one of those? :lol:

Vandermast

Post by Vandermast » March 6th, 2012, 12:49 pm

loyaleagle wrote:Now this is with a new mic setup so I'd love a little feedback.
I would have thought that if you just got a new mic, the last thing you'd want is feedback! :mrgreen:

Vandermast

Post by Vandermast » March 6th, 2012, 1:34 pm

But srsly, James, I agree with Liberty: I think your mic's fine, but your recording environment is a little echoey. Perhaps you could aim your voice into space rather than at any nearby hard surfaces? Your silence is also a little bit 'fizzy', which I've had sometimes when I've been a tad too aggressive with the noise reduction; but that's just nit-picking. :)

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian » March 6th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Hi,
Here is my poetical attempt!
Noel

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_nlb.mp3
Duration - 01:14
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury

JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert » March 7th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Here's my usual reading, as I have no talent in singing whatsoever :)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_jl.mp3
length: 01:30
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!

HarveySpurr

Post by HarveySpurr » March 7th, 2012, 6:25 pm

JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe » March 7th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Libertyness

Post by Libertyness » March 7th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Noel - Wonderful reading, thank you. PL-OK

April - Great, thank-you! You missed a couple characters in your title id3 tag, but that's no problem for us to fix. For future reference, it sounds pretty heavily processed (too much noisecleaning?), but still PL-OK.

Harvey - Great, thanks! For future reference, you only need to leave between 0.5-1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Also, your Id3 tags were a little wonky ("Ready by JBS"). I've snipped out the extra silence, fixed the tags and reuploaded for you. PL-OK

Jemma - Lovely reading, thank you. You left only 2.5 seconds of silence at the end, so I've doubled it and reuploaded for you. PL-OK

Thanks for the wonderful work everyone! I've made my guide track on the piano for my own recording. If anyone wants to join me in a rousing rendition of the chorus, I'd be more than happy to share my file and plug you in. :D
Liberty

ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro » March 8th, 2012, 5:12 am

Hello everybody,

Here's mine.

The file:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_um.mp3

Duration of the file: 1:18.27

I changed a microphone again. So the sound quality is a bit better
than last week. But I need to struggle to improve it.

Cheers,
Masa

JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe » March 8th, 2012, 6:42 am

Dear Liberty

Thank you for your professionalism and enthusiasm. You certainly add to our enjoyment of recording for LibriVox.

Cheers JemmaBlythe and Harvey

Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc » March 8th, 2012, 7:19 am

Dear all,
Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_hr.mp3
I thought I was haulin a kind of Librivox sail with the LV crew . My song is a bit rude, because it is hard work to record so many books.
After a few trials, I preferred not to make this case worse, so regretfully I abandoned the idea of accompaniment.
Best regards
Herman

Libertyness

Post by Libertyness » March 8th, 2012, 9:22 am

Dear Liberty. Thank you for your professionalism and enthusiasm. You certainly add to our enjoyment of recording for LibriVox.
Thank you both! I'm so glad I could help make your experience a pleasant one.

Masa - Your new microphone sounds great! And your recording is too! Thanks! PL-OK!

Herman! Image HOORAY! Our first brave singer!!! Fabulous job, thank you! One small problem- at the end of your recording your forgot to include "This recording is in the public domain." If you'd like to add that in and reupload, great, otherwise I'll just snip it in from one of your previous poetry projects. Also, your initials in your id tag, "Sung by hr" are lowercase, if you'd like to capitalize those while you're at it.

I've also spent most of my morning working on my own version! My offer to join in the chorus still stands. Just download my file and record yourself singing along to the last verse and upload it. I'll splice it in in place of one of my duplicate vocals. I do not think it would be exaggerating to say this project has made me giddy. Sea songs are just a good time. Several years ago I moved to landlocked Indiana from New Jersey so it's been a while since I've played in the ocean. Maybe this is my way of letting my inner mermaid swim free. :D If someone could give mine a listen for PL purposes I'd much appreciate it.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_lrs.mp3 (2:24)

Liberty