FINIS [WP] A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea by Allan Cunningham

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Libertyness

Post by Libertyness »

A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea by Allan Cunningham (1784 - 1842) .

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-wet-sheet-and-a-flowing-sea-by-allan-cunningham/
Allan Cunningham was a Scottish poet and author. Cunningham was apprenticed to a stonemason, but gave his leisure to reading and writing imitations of old Scottish ballads. His prose is often spoiled by its misplaced and too ambitious rhetoric; his verse also is ornate, and both are full of mannerisms. Some of his songs, however, hold a high place among British lyrics. "A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea" is one of the best British sea-songs, although written by a landsman.(Summary by Wikipedia)
Each week a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
*This week's poem was suggested by loyaleagle.

This week's poem can be found here.
This poem is also a song, as found on page 57 here or here. You may sing it if you like, but any musical accompaniment must be done by you yourself.

Please be sure that your recording software is set to the following technical specifications:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
If this is your first recording, you'll also find this useful: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
(Please leave no more than 0.5-1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!)
A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea by Allan Cunningham , read (or sung) for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read or sing the poem:

A WET sheet and a flowing sea,
A wind that follows fast
And fills the white and rustling sail
And bends the gallant mast;
And bends the gallant mast, my boys,
While like the eagle free
Away the good ship flies, and leaves
Old England on the lee.

"O for a soft and gentle wind!"
I heard a fair one cry:
But give to me the snoring* breeze
And white waves heaving high;
And white waves heaving high, my lads,
The good ship tight and free—
The world of waters is our home,
And merry men are we.

There's tempest in yon hornèd moon,
And lightning in yon cloud:
But hark the music, mariners!
The wind is piping loud;
The wind is piping loud, my boys,
The lightning flashes free—
While the hollow oak our palace is,
Our heritage the sea.
*swelling or roaring found in other editions of this poem if you prefer.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem (or if sung, End of Song).This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.

Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_your initials in lowercase.mp3 (eg. wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_klh)

ID3 tags (Version 2):
Artist Name: Allan Cunningham
Track Title: A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea - Read by YOUR INITIALS (eg. A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea - Read by KLH)
Album Title: LibriVox Weekly Poetry
Comments: (optional) Recorded by [your name]

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:

http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dl - aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)

(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, 2012-Mar-11 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming weekly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Weekly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
Last edited by Libertyness on March 9th, 2012, 11:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Libertyness

Post by Libertyness »

Hooray! I am doubly (dare I say tripley? (How does one spell triple-y?)) excited that I found sheet music for this. I tried to borrow a bit from the Fifty Cents song/poem thread I particpated in earlier for formatting.

The tune I found in an 1883 edition of Naval songs: a collection of original, selected, and traditional sea songs. No one else besides Cunningham was listed for the tune.

Thanks! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Liberty
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Libertyness wrote:Hooray! I am doubly (dare I say tripley? (How does one spell triple-y?)) excited that I found sheet music for this. I tried to borrow a bit from the Fifty Cents song/poem thread I particpated in earlier for formatting.

The tune I found in an 1883 edition of Naval songs: a collection of original, selected, and traditional sea songs. No one else besides Cunningham was listed for the tune.

Thanks! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Liberty
Hi Liberty

Access to Google Books can be difficult for folk not living in the USA. Is there any way you could extract the music from the book and post it separately?

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by RuthieG »

http://www.archive.org/stream/navalsongsacoll00unkngoog#page/n66/mode/2up

There are quite a few tunes to this available on the web. The above one is the one that I know best.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you for the archive music link Ruth, I've added it to the opening post. :)

All set Liberty, smooth sailing on this one Image
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Libertyness

Post by Libertyness »

Thanks for the help Ruth, Algy, David. At 1am my research skills are pretty lack-luster. :wink: Glad to get this show on the road!

Liberty
Vandermast

Post by Vandermast »

If I may just slide this in under the nautical radar...

Singing I ain't(!), but gusty gusto seemed called for. Indeed, had I not chopped off the tail of the recording you would have been treated to a great deal of desperate coughing! :lol:

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_jcm.mp3
Duration: 1:13.
fshort

Post by fshort »

The sea poem--not sung but waiting to hear other people's rendition.

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/wetsheetflowingsea_cunningham_fs.mp3
Duration: 01:20
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
Libertyness

Post by Libertyness »

Jason- Wonderful! Your gusto had me grinning. PL is A-OK

Florence - Great job! You are PL-OK!

Thank you both for kicking us off so well. :]

Liberty
ShaunLankford

Post by ShaunLankford »

Okay... For those who do have the guts to make an attempt at singing, should they (note that I said THEY) follow the sheet music? There are a few slight word differences.
Libertyness

Post by Libertyness »

Someone might need to double check me, but I think readers should definitely follow the quoted text in the first post.

Singers can choose to sing the quoted text or the sheet music lyrics. I don't think the differences are so substantial that either wouldn't pass a pl of the other. However as a young bc someone may have other thoughts about it? The snoring/roaring breeze and England/Columbia were the only differences that might give me pause.

Thanks for the question though. Hope to hear your rendition (musical or not) soon. :D
Liberty
ShaunLankford

Post by ShaunLankford »

Liberty,

The text quoted in this thread appears to be the poem/song as written by Cunningham (both Gutenberg and Bartleby use the wording, as well as numerous other sources). The only places I have found the other wording, to this point, are the sheet music and a performance that presumably referenced the sheet music. While my word is by no means law, I think you are right about reading the text as posted.

However, the song definitely flows better when using the layout (added lines, but not necessarily the wording changes) of the sheet music.
loyaleagle

Post by loyaleagle »

Hurrah! (or maybe Three Cheers, in line with the time period) My suggestion was used! I love nautical stuff and this shanty is perfect. I'm even gladder that somebody found the music. I used to sing, but it's been long enough that I don't want to attempt the song. Even so, I look forward to somebody's rendition!

Working on my own spoken copy now...
jannie

Post by jannie »

Claire

Post by Claire »