COMPLETE Treasury of Heroes and Heroines by C. Edwards-ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

A Treasury of Heroes and Heroines by Clayton Edwards (NA) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/a-treasury-of-heroes-and-heroines-by-clayton-edwards/
It would be pleasant indeed to gather the characters of this book together and listen to the conversation of wholly different but interested couples—for this is a book of contrasts and has been written as such. Lives of the most dramatic and adventurous quality have been gathered from all corners of the earth, and from every age in history, in such a way that they may cover the widest possible variety of human experience.

The publishers believe that such a book would not be complete without some characters that are no less real because they have lived only in the minds of men. No explanation is needed for semi-historical characters like King Arthur, Robin Hood and William Tell, while Don Quixote, the Prince of Madness, and Rip Van Winkle, the Prince of Laziness, have been included, not because they were essentially heroic in themselves (although Don Quixote might well have claimed the laurel) but because they became heroes in the opinion of others through the very qualities that brought about their downfall. As involuntary heroes, they furnish a pleasant contrast to the more serious, actual and transcendental figures of saints, martyrs, warriors, discoverers and statesmen with which these pages are filled; they enrich the "Treasury," widen its range of colors and perform the necessary function of court jesters in the Hall of Fame. (Summary From the Preface)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2013-Jan-01 .
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25652
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================

Genres for the project:
    adventure, biography, children

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of A Treasury of Heroes and Heroines. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " A Treasury of Heroes and Heroines, by Clayton Edwards . [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter ##]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Treasury of Heroes and Heroines, by Clayton Edwards . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    heroesandheroines_##_edwards.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. heroesandheroines_01_edwards.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Clayton Edwards
    Album: A Treasury of Heroes and Heroines

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by icequeen on April 1st, 2012, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, I think that is it! I will also DPL this project!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi ann, i can set this up for you. ill be back with a magic window right away :)

CK
Carolin
kindfish

Post by kindfish »

I have just received the go ahead after submitting my 1 minute test, so this will by my first recording for librivox.

I am interested in reading Chapter XX Molly Pitcher. If that goes well, I would also like to read Chapter XXV Florence Nightingale.

I understand that this project is just getting underway and there's no official sign up yet.

Just wanted to let you know of my interest. :)

Thanks!

Beth "kindfish"
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi ann, you are all set up. i shortened your file name a little :)

please let me know if you need anything!

CK
Carolin
kindfish

Post by kindfish »

Just a few minutes after my original post the "Magic Window" was setup! Wow, that was fast! :)

OK, now I'll officially request to read Chapter 20 and Chapter 25.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Beth
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Carolin wrote:hi ann, you are all set up. i shortened your file name a little :)

please let me know if you need anything!

CK
Thanks Carolin! I like the file name much better than before. I was debating whether to shorten it or not, so it's now perfect. We are open for business!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

kindfish wrote:Just a few minutes after my original post the "Magic Window" was setup! Wow, that was fast! :)

OK, now I'll officially request to read Chapter 20 and Chapter 25.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Beth

Hi kindfish,

As soon as I get the MW all filled in, I will put you down for Chapters 20 and 25. Thanks!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, the MW is filled in with section titles and word counts, so we are ready for more readers.

Kindfish, do you want me to put your real name and or a blog/url into your catalog page?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Sorry, I know this looks like a spellflame and its embarassing to bring it up...

Throughout this project, "heroes" has been misspelled. I would not have mentioned it, but I didn't want people to have created their files, find out there was a spelling mistake in the filenames, and have to change them over. (I've checked the Gutenberg version, and it uses "Heroes").

I would like to claim Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, if I may, please.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Timothy Ferguson wrote:Sorry, I know this looks like a spellflame and its embarassing to bring it up...

Throughout this project, "heroes" has been misspelled. I would not have mentioned it, but I didn't want people to have created their files, find out there was a spelling mistake in the filenames, and have to change them over. (I've checked the Gutenberg version, and it uses "Heroes").

I would like to claim Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, if I may, please.
:oops: Thanks for catching that, it will be fixed in the title and the file name.

Since you busted me on my spelling, I guess you can have St. Elizabeth of Hungary! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
kindfish

Post by kindfish »

icequeen wrote:OK, the MW is filled in with section titles and word counts, so we are ready for more readers.

Kindfish, do you want me to put your real name and or a blog/url into your catalog page?
The url into my catalog page using "kindfish", the way you have it, is perfect.

Thanks!

Beth
Last edited by kindfish on April 2nd, 2012, 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
NessaMarieX

Post by NessaMarieX »

Hi :mrgreen:

I'd love to take part in this book as my first recording for librivox. I've been told to "go forth" following my 1-minutes test so yay! :D

I'd like to please claim 07-Robin Hood and if this goes well also 01-Buddha and 24-Grace Darling

As for my listing name, please just put "Nessa Marie".

Thank you!

Nessa :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

alright guys, the launch pad is riddiculously crowded, lets move over to readers wanted!

CK :D
Carolin
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

NessaMarieX wrote:Hi :mrgreen:

I'd love to take part in this book as my first recording for librivox. I've been told to "go forth" following my 1-minutes test so yay! :D

I'd like to please claim 07-Robin Hood and if this goes well also 01-Buddha and 24-Grace Darling

As for my listing name, please just put "Nessa Marie".

Thank you!

Nessa :)

Hi Nessa Marie,

Welcome to LV! How about I put you down for all 3 sections. Sometimes with these short biographic books readers will grab them quickly, so I don't want you to miss out on what you want to read. If you find that you can't complete all 3, then just post it here or PM me and we will put them back in the pool. Thanks!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!