[COMPLETE] Story of a New Zealand River by Jane Mander-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

The Story of a New Zealand River by Jane Mander (1877 - 1949).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-story-of-a-new-zealand-river-by-jane-mander/

"This is the land of the lost, one of those happy spots where no questions are asked. Of course, the fact of a person's being here is usually all the explanation necessary."

The Story of a New Zealand River is a romance set in the Northland region of New Zealand, in the time when the forests of New Zealand's grandest tree, the kauri, were being logged for their exquisite timber. The novel begins as Alice Roland and her free-spirited daughter Asia are being rowed in a black punt by handsome and cultured David Bruce up the Kaipara harbour to their new home at a raw kauri logging settlement in a bend of the Kaiwaka river. Tom Roland, a rough colonial and the boss of the settlement, is Alice's husband of a few years. Alice is a beautiful but tight-laced, proud, puritanical Englishwoman whose mismatch with Tom Roland is not a happy one. They arrive with Alice's piano among their belongings to find a half-built cottage, a strange collection of inhabitants, from gentry to scoundrels, and a place that is beautiful and challenging.

Jane Mander was a New Zealand novelist and journalist. As well as New Zealand, she also lived in Sydney, New York and London. There is a superficial resemblance between The Story of a New Zealand River and the Jane Campion film The Piano, which is principally the setting and the piano. (summary by Gail Timmerman-Vaughan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/storyanewzealan00mandgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The story of a New Zealand river. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The story of a New Zealand river, by Jane Mander. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The story of a New Zealand river by Jane Mander. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The story of a New Zealand river, by Jane Mander. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename storyofanewzealandriver_##_mander_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. storyofanewzealandriver_01_mander_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by gailtv on July 22nd, 2017, 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up later

Anne

Done
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Thanks Anne and David!

Anne - thanks for setting up and I'll fill in the bits I haven't done like keywords and genre once I'm a bit into the book.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hello again David and Anne -

Well, here we are again, but with a very different bit of prose.

Chapters 1 and 2 are ready for PLing, please.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/storyofanewzealandriver_01_mander_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/storyofanewzealandriver_02_mander_128kb.mp3

Times and dB are in the MW.

Please let me know if there are any fixes needed. I'm not sure that I've done the metadata right either.....

I had a terrible time with Chapter 2 - I got a "will not save" error after I'd edited it all, and Audacity deleted about a third of my data, so I had to re-record that part. It still reckoned that the file was corrupt and wouldn't save it, so I had to just wing it without the usual saving that I do regularly and turn it into an mp3 file at the end. SO, there may be problems with this file that I have not detected. Just let me know please. If need be I can record it again. I've read Chapter 3 today since all that drama and it seems to have saved just fine, but I haven't done the edits, so cross fingers.

I hope you enjoy "The Story of a New Zealand River". I haven't read the whole thing yet but there is drama ahead.

Oh, and it is quite clear where it was set because the places are real places and from the descriptions in Chapter 1 it places the Roland's homestead up the Kaiwaka river near what looks like the end of the tidal bit, and also says it is about 1 mile from Pukekaroro, looking out over the river. I've never been on the Kaipara harbour or up any of those rivers, but it's mostly pastoral country now, not the heavily forested kauri country that it was then.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

problems saving are annoying - have you thought of saving as .flac files as you go along rather than .aup - they are much smaller . you could just number them river1.flac river.flac etc or river10mins if you wanted them a little more informative. Audacity is a resources hog . you could even save them off pc if you thought the problem could be your hard drive

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1-2 PL OK.

Will listen to 2 again but it sounded fine to me.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

annise wrote:problems saving are annoying - have you thought of saving as .flac files as you go along rather than .aup - they are much smaller . you could just number them river1.flac river.flac etc or river10mins if you wanted them a little more informative. Audacity is a resources hog . you could even save them off pc if you thought the problem could be your hard drive

Anne
Hi Anne -

Thanks for that advice. I'm pretty sure that it was my hard drive - so now I'm saving to an external drive. The computer's hard drive filled up unbeknownst to me because of some hidden files that were being written as I was doing a fairly large statistical analysis for work. I was aware that Audacity is a resources hog. Consequently, I've been deleting more of the project files and folders than I used to once they have been lodged with Librivox for a while - but keeping the mp3s until the project is done in case of a(nother) problem at Librivox.

We got the tail end of Debbie over here. I'm guessing in Melbourne (that's where you are, isn't it?) that you didn't get too wet. Where I am, we're far enough south that we just got a really nice drop of rain - still, it was a month's worth in 36 hr, but we were so dry it has soaked in nicely and not done too much damage.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again -

Chapter 3 is ready for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/storyofanewzealandriver_03_mander_128kb.mp3

29:00 min, 91.3 dB. The sound is creeping up - not sure why - but if it is too loud let me know and I'll drop it back.

Here we have a picture of what all colonial immigrants seemed to want in the 19th century - a little bit of English gentility in New Zealand - some arguably do so still.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't worry about a bit too loud - it's easy to adjust at cataloguing. It's the too soft ones that are problems , they tend to clip if I amplify

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again David -

Chapters 4 and 5 are ready for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/storyofanewzealandriver_04_mander_128kb.mp3
31:46.0, 87.4 dB.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/storyofanewzealandriver_05_mander_128kb.mp3
19:58.8, 90.2.

As always, if there are mistakes please let me know.

Cheers, and thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK.
3:31-3:32 delete repeat, "she said"

Just watched "The World's Fastest Indian." A fun movie.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote:4 PL OK.
3:31-3:32 delete repeat, "she said"

Just watched "The World's Fastest Indian." A fun movie.
Thanks for that.

Ready for spot PL now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/storyofanewzealandriver_05_mander_128kb.mp3

Burt Munro is a bit of a local hero, especially the farther south you get. Certainly typifies the "number 8 wire" aspect of NZ culture.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

5 PL OK.