COMPLETE The Freedmen's Book by Lydia Maria Child - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Perfect, CK. You can just let me know when everything is set up.

Lucretia
ref

Post by ref »

Lucy - so sorry you will have to give up this project. I really appreciate your feedback and will go back and listen for the hum in those files. I didn't do anything different but the noise level does vary a bit. Good luck with your exam! I hope to work with you again.

Carolin - I won't upload a new file for the ID tags but I would like to review the noise level in the files Lucy noted. If I can improve them, I would like to upload new versions. Is that okay?

Lucretia - Thank you so much for jumping in so quickly to DPL this project. It's a very interesting historical piece. A mixture of poems and short biographical pieces highlighting the lives of slaves. It's a very personal and anecdotal perspective.
ref

Post by ref »

Hmmm... I'm really not hearing too much of a difference in the noise level of the files so I think I will leave them alone. Onward! Sections 19 and 20 are ready for PL. I hopefully will be adding more soon!

Carolin, please add Lucretia as our new DPL.

Lucretia, welcome aboard!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hey rhonda, lucy had only marked the thing with the background noise in case you wanted to look into it (at least thats how i understood it), and marked it pl ok. excessive noisecleaning sometimes does more evil than good.

for future reference, if anything besides the tags could or should be edited, please go ahead and do it and reupload. it is only the tags really, that i can fix easily during cataloging, so for files that have no other problems besides the tags, we mark them pl ok and leave it to the admin to fix them in the end :)

ill add lucretia as dpl then!

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Rhonda & CK--

Thanks for the welcome! I will listen to your last two sections this evening. I look forward to working with you. And thank you, CK, for getting me set up. :)

Best,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good morning, Rhonda--

Section 19: PL OK

Section 20: PL OK

I will mention that in Section 20 I found one slight difference in the text:
At ~0:31 you read "The United States of this Union" and the text says "The States of this Union". But I don't know if you will want to edit it as it doesn't substantially change the meaning of the reading. That is the only thing that I noticed.

Your readings are just wonderful--I hope that I can sound as good as you do when I start recording. A real pleasure to listen to your recordings!! :) I am SO going to enjoy being the DPL on this project!

Have a great day--and I look forward to your next sections,
Lucretia
ref

Post by ref »

Lucretia,

Thank you for catching that error in Section 20. I made the change and uploaded the new file.

Here's the next couple of sections, 21 and 22. I needed to use some accents in Section 21 --- not my strong-suit --- but hopefully it comes across okay. Let me know if you think something needs fixing.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/freedmensbook_21_child.mp3
14:36

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/freedmensbook_22_child.mp3
0:59
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Rhonda--You did a wonderful job with the dialects in Section 21--no worries at all!!

I did spot a couple of items that you might want to check in Section 21--
At ~8.08: Text says "...by his superior bearing", but I heard "...by his superior being"

At ~11:17: Text says "...I bring he hoss to de gate", but I heard "...I bring he house to de gate". (This was part of the dialect in the monologue, so probably not so easy to read. "Hoss" meaning "horse", I would say--but you might interpret it differently.)

Also, I don't believe that you left 5 seconds of silence at the end of Section 22.

Wonderful recordings, Rhonda--can't wait for the next sections! :)

EDIT: Rhonda--Sorry to add another bit, but I looked at my notes early this a.m. and decided to mention one other thing that struck my ear when listening. (I'm kind of new, so sometimes don't know if I should mention something or not.)

At ~ 4:35 in Section 21, the words "scourge" and "scourged" are spoken in the reading. I have always heard that word pronounced as "sk-urged"--like rhyming with the word "urge"--rather than how it was pronounced in the reading. I checked my dictionary also. But I know, however, that there could certainly be alternative pronunciations--so you may feel it not necessary to change. I guess that I just decided that I would want it pointed out to me by a PL person if I had submitted a recording. So whatever you think.

Anyway, hope that my late note hasn't messed anything up.

Have a good Monday! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ref

Post by ref »

Good morning, Lucretia!

Please don't hesitate to point out anything you think worthy of mention. I'd like this recording to be as good as it can be so I will make whatever changes possible.

I made all the fixes you noted in Section 21. I actually heard "hoss" when I played it back many times before uploading but I was having trouble with the accent and thought it might be okay. But it did sound more like "house" than "horse" which, of course, is not correct so I'm glad you heard it too. I think/hope it sounds better now.

Don't know why I messed up with "scourge". If I am not sure of a word, I usually check it on dictionary.com but I didn't even think about this one. I may have been too wrapped up in how to get all these voices sounding right and lost my way on the proper pronunciation of a word. Anyway, I made the change and it's fixed as well as "bearing".

Added silence to the end of Section 22. New time 1:02.

Glad you are enjoying the readings! More to come...
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi again--

Well, you know, I think that everyone at LibriVox is striving for the same thing--top quality audio recordings. (And from the LV recordings that I've enjoyed in the past before becoming a member, they are definitely professional quality or better.)

But I am so new at this. I may make some mistakes in the PL'ing, so please don't hesitate to give me any advice that you think would be useful. And, of course, it is your call entirely on any of the suggestions that I make.

You do such a beautiful job on the readings, Rhonda--I am enjoying them so much!! :clap:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ref

Post by ref »

Thanks Lucretia. You are so sweet :9:

Here's one more little one... section 23.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/freedmensbook_23_child.mp3
5:56
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hey again, Rhonda--

Section 21: PL OK
Section 22: PL OK

Section 23: Just noted one item in the first poem of this section--
At ~1:31.5 the text says "...and is there no relief", but I heard "...and is there no grief"

The poetry was quite lovely, but it was a sad anecdote, wasn't it?
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ref

Post by ref »

Well, that was a silly error. :oops: There certainly was grief! All fixed and re-uploaded. And, yes, these are quite sad stories.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Rhonda--

Section 23: PL OK :D

So will watch for next from you!!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ref

Post by ref »

Well, i finally got through this one. So sad.
Section 24:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/freedmensbook_24_child.mp3
18:49