COMPLETE The Freedmen's Book by Lydia Maria Child - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ref

Post by ref » February 16th, 2012, 10:41 am

The Freedmen's Book by Lydia Maria Child (1802 - 1880) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/the-freedmens-book-by-lydia-maria-child/
Lydia Maria Child, an American abolitionist, compiled this collection of short stories and poems by former slaves and noted activists as an inspiration to freed slaves. In her dedication to the freedmen, she urges those who can read to read these stories aloud to others to share the strength, courage and accomplishments of colored men and women. In that spirit, this recording aims to gives that voice a permanent record. As in the original text, the names of the colored authors are marked with an "x". (Summary by Rhonda Federman)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Sep-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38479
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Maria_Child
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 60
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1865
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project:
    essay-short-nonfiction, history, poetry

Keywords that describe the book:
    History, Slavery
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Freedmen's Book . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Freedmen's Book , by Lydia Maria Child . [Chapter title]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Freedmen's Book by Lydia Maria Child . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Freedmen's Book , by Lydia Maria Child . "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    freedmensbook_##_child.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Lydia Maria Child
    Album: The Freedmen's Book

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by ref on February 22nd, 2012, 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 16th, 2012, 11:59 am

hi rhonda, i can be your mc for this project. ill be back with a magic window right away.

CK

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm

youre all set! please note that we need to hijack bart's folder for the uploads, you will not yet find ck - carolin in the mc list.

lets stick around a little and hope we can catch a dpl!

CK

ref

Post by ref » February 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Thanks Carolin!
I'll get to filling out the MW soon.

ref

Post by ref » February 16th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Carolin,

Titles are now in the MW.

Can I edit the summary? In the original text, there is a notation "The names of the colored authors are marked with an asterisk." I included these asterisks with the authors' names in the title section but don't know how to edit the summary to include this notation. There is also a typo I would like to fix.

Also, would you like me to add the section number within the titles? Does that make it easier for cataloging later on?

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm

you can edit the summary as often as you like, but do let me know when you do so that i can change the info in the database.

please do always include the number in your titles (eg 01 - chapter title). the reason for this is that sometimes the track number is not transferred to the listener, so that when he loads the tracks into his favoured media player, the chapters might be sorted in alphabetical order and he would have no chance to get them to sort the right way. also it makes it easier to see things at first glance.

there are a bunch of characters that shouldnt appear in the titles because they go wrong during cataloging. ill just check if the asterisk is a trouble-maker or not :)

CK

ref

Post by ref » February 16th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Carolin,

I hadn't thought about the asterisks being a problem. Please let me know and I'll take them out if necessary. If they don't work, can you suggest something else I can use? I feel like I should acknowledge the footnote from the original text.

I'll edit the titles to include the section number. Is it okay that I am just saying the chapter title in the intro instead of the chapter number? The chapters aren't actually numbered in the text.

As for editing the summary, I'll wait until you have a decision on the asterisks before including that note. But, I'm also waiting because I don't know how to edit the summary. I must be missing something. Can you point me in the right direction for how to do that?

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 16th, 2012, 11:51 pm

ok, so re the * - i asked the other admins, and we cant be sure what will happen. most extra characters are causing trouble, so the chance is high that the tags will not work if there is an asterisk in them. i do agree with you that if possible, the note should be communicated to the listener. so how do you feel about using another character instead, such as an x (looks a little bit like an askterisk, but you can use another if you like)?
you could mark it like 01 - chapter title - x -- would that be ok for you?

it would be good if you could also say section one section two section three in the intros of each section, even though the chapters are not numbered in the original text. it helps the listener to navigate around the chapters if he or she cannot see the tags. we have many blind listeners, and then there are other instances when you might need the extra info - for example i have an older ipod shuffle without a display.

to edit the summary, go to the first post of the project. on the top right, there is a small button that says "edit". it will allow you to edit the whole text of that post, including the summary. when you are done, just click "submit", and check if everything looks the way you wanted it to (if not, click edit again).

im sorry i am making you change the technical things around so much, i hope the changes i am suggesting make sense and are acceptable to you :)

CK

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » February 17th, 2012, 1:47 am

I think I would like to PL this, if you don't mind Rhonda.
So little space, so much to say.

ref

Post by ref » February 17th, 2012, 9:19 am

Carolin, I so appreciate your help with the technicals! I looked everywhere (except obviously the right place) for how to edit that first post and couldn't find it. Your explanation was simple. Don't know why I didn't see it. So, now I have updated the summary using your suggested notation of "x". I also changed the intro to say "section number" at the beginning and then "chapter title" at the end. I updated those notations in the MW as well. It looks just as clear as the asterisk and makes perfect sense to avoid any possible problems later on.

I think I have everything in order now. Sorry to have so many questions but this exchange really helped to clear up a lot for me. Thanks!

Lucy, thank you so much. I would love for you to be DPL! I plan to get started soon :D

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 17th, 2012, 9:47 am

hey rhonda, im here to answer your questions and help you out however i can ;) now ill add lucy as dpl for this project (thanks for volunteering!) and move us to going solo :D

CK

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 18th, 2012, 12:13 am

hi rhonda, please note that you can now upload to my own MC folder -- you will now find ck - carolin in the list :9:

CK

ref

Post by ref » February 18th, 2012, 7:03 am

Yay! You are official :clap:

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 18th, 2012, 7:12 am

thanks rhonda, i made a little happy dance this morning as well :D

CK

ref

Post by ref » February 20th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Hi Lucy,