COMPLETE: A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cdon005

Post by cdon005 » February 10th, 2012, 2:22 pm

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1849 - 1924) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-little-princess-dramatic-reading-by-frances-hodgson-burnett/
Sara Crewe is a very intelligent, polite, and creative young girl. Born to a wealthy soldier in India, Sara was brought all the way to London in Victorian-era England for a formal education. At the upscale boarding school, Sara is forced to tolerate the haughty, disdainful headmistress, Miss Minchin. Unfortunately, things only get worse for Sara when her father's bankruptcy and death leave her impoverished and at the mercy of the jealous Miss Minchin. Sara undergoes numerous trials as she humbly allows herself to be subjected to servitude, but with the help of several dear friends (both seen and unseen), she remains as proud and unwavering and imaginative as ever, proving to all that she is, as the title says, "a little princess." (Summary by Wikipedia )
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Dec-31 .
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from the Google Docs!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37332
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    children

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narration, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Chapter [#] of A Little Princess , by Frances Hodgson Burnett . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org. Chapter [#] of A Little Princess, [Chapter title.]

At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the play, add End of A Little Princess , by Frances Hodgson Burnett .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 littleprincess _[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.

cdon005

Post by cdon005 » February 10th, 2012, 2:24 pm

This is my first attempt at a dramatic work!! I think I have everything in order, but who knows!! Nothing ever goes exactly as planned anyway right!! :)

Chris Donnelly

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 10th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Can I read the role of Captain Crewe?

Thanks, Todd

miss stav

Post by miss stav » February 10th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Wow! That's a wonderful idea. I don't think I can help right now, but may be later... Enjoy and good luck!
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

cdon005

Post by cdon005 » February 10th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Hello Todd,

We are not at the point where we are giving out roles quite yet. However, once we are at that point I will send you a PM.

Thanks for the interest! :)

Chris Donnelly

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » February 10th, 2012, 10:14 pm

OMG. May I have Miss Minchin? It will be a real challenge to sound nasty enough!

(oops, cross-posted. Let me know when you're assigning roles. If you have someone else in mind for Miss Minchin, no worries :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

cdon005

Post by cdon005 » February 10th, 2012, 11:07 pm

No worries Kara. I will send you a PM.

Chris Donnelly

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose » February 11th, 2012, 4:51 am

Chris, what's your status with this? Usually when a project is posted in the Launch Pad it means you're ready to sign up readers (even if an MC is not yet on board.) Have you converted the chapters into scripts? Do you know how to make them available in the Magic Window? I'm willing to MC this but I'm wondering where you are in terms of preparedness.

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose » February 11th, 2012, 7:27 am

I've edited your first post a little bit to make the narrator intro/outro more applicable to a dramatic reading, and also fixed your filename template to remove spaces and capital letters.

cdon005

Post by cdon005 » February 11th, 2012, 7:42 am

Thank you! I used the template form I found in the wiki. I had to do some editing after filling out the forms. I guess I missed a couple of things.

Chris Donnelly

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose » February 11th, 2012, 7:58 am

Not a problem! Yeah, the template is great for straight readings of plays but just needs to be tweaked a little for dramatic readings. I got your PM about the number of sections and I'll set up your Magic Window now.

ETA: MW is up!

aravis

Post by aravis » February 11th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Hi Chris!

Do you need a DPL? I'd love to, if I may! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)

cdon005

Post by cdon005 » February 11th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Yes Elli. That would be great! Thank you!!

Chris Donnelly

Verity91

Post by Verity91 » February 11th, 2012, 4:43 pm

I'm really intregued by this - could I possibly read Sara or Ermengarde if either is still available?
Currently working on:

Gerda in The Young Idea
Sections 7 and 8 in 1001 Questions and Answers on English Grammar

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose » February 11th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Chris, it looks like you're posting the links to the Google Docs next to the characters' names. I think you're making too much work for yourself. Just link each chapter once--in the line for that chapter. The Notes field in the character lines should just have the chapter numbers in plain text, then as the files are submitted you'll change them into links for the audio files.