[COMPLETE] - Queen Lucia by EF Benson - AF/ez

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » November 29th, 2006, 8:40 am

Hope you don't have too much trouble uploading your files again.

I've added the window from the new catalogue in the first post.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau

Envie de lire de la poésie ou du dramatique ?
PIANIST(s) WANTED.
You'd like to PL some French? Come here. Par ici on a besoin d'oreilles.

martinc

Post by martinc » November 29th, 2006, 10:37 am

Ezwa

looks really good - no real problem so far - up to chapter 8

Martin

fae

Post by fae » November 29th, 2006, 11:22 am

So far I have gotten chapters 2 and 6 again.

Are you planning on dumping the files that where already on there? Because I can still play the old ones.

Best of luck! this is such a pain for you...what we do for our art, eh?

martinc

Post by martinc » November 29th, 2006, 2:09 pm

fae

I am 'starting from scratch' and uploading everything again - but so far all is going well and I am just doing 11 so no real problem.

Martin

martinc

Post by martinc » November 30th, 2006, 11:15 am

Chapters 1-14 are now back up in my podcast at: http://web.mac.com/martin.clifton/iWeb/Martin%20Clifton/Podcast/Podcast.html

The UK iTunes has not picked them all up yet but the US one has

I hope to be able to get the last two chapters done in the next few days and I will then try and get it all up on my website.

Martin

martinc

Post by martinc » December 3rd, 2006, 5:20 am

I have finished the whole book - all chapters should now be available as a podcast and for Librivox in my public folder (although this seems a bit temperamental) : http://idisk.mac.com/martin.clifton-Public
I have put a suggested summary into the first entry of this thread, but here it is again for completeness:

E. F. Benson (1867-1940) was born at Wellington College in Berkshire, where his father, who later went on to become the Archbishop of Canterbury, was the first Headmaster. He wrote 105 books in all.

Queen Lucia (first published in 1920) was the first of Benson’s ‘Mapp and Lucia’ novels of which there were six. This first book is a comedy of manners based in the provincial village of Riseholme, where Emmeline Lucas (the Queen Lucia of the title) presides over the social and artistic universe of the gullible residents. Her aide-de-camp in these matters is the somewhat effete Georgie Pillson and the chief competitor for her ‘crown’ is Daisy Quantock. The scandal of the Guru, the psychical goings on with Princess Popoffski and the arrival into the sleepy village of a famous Prima Donna all conspire to threaten her supremacy…

Hope this is OK - I have just heard that the book is still subject to copyright in the UK.
Martin
Last edited by martinc on December 3rd, 2006, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

vidalia11

Post by vidalia11 » December 3rd, 2006, 9:06 am

Great summary! One little typo, you misspelled Princess.
I hope the UK cops won't come after you for this narration! :-)

Karen
martinc wrote:I have finished the whole book - all chapters should now be available as a podcast and for Librivox in my public folder (although this seems a bit temperamental) : http://idisk.mac.com/martin.clifton-Public
I have put a suggested summary into the first entry of this thread, but here it is again for completeness:

E. F. Benson (1867-1940) was born at Wellington College in Berkshire, where his father, who later went on to become the Archbishop of Canterbury, was the first Headmaster. He wrote 105 books in all.

Queen Lucia (first published in 1920) was the first of Benson’s ‘Mapp and Lucia’ novels of which there were six. This first book is a comedy of manners based in the provincial village of Riseholme, where Emmeline Lucas (the Queen Lucia of the title) presides over the social and artistic universe of the gullible residents. Her aide-de-camp in these matters is the somewhat effete Georgie Pillson and the chief competitor for her ‘crown’ is Daisy Quantock. The scandal of the Guru, the psychical goings on with Princes Popoffski and the arrival into the sleepy village of a famous Prima Donna all conspire to threaten her supremacy…

Hope this is OK - I have just heard that the book is still subject to copyright in the UK.
Martin

martinc

Post by martinc » December 3rd, 2006, 9:49 am

Thanks Karen - I have corrected the typo. The nice man from the EF Benson website thinks I will be safe from the cops - most of his members are from the US any way.

Just to be on the safe side I have put disclaimers on my audio and Podcast pages.

Martin

fae

Post by fae » December 3rd, 2006, 11:17 am

Okay I am slowly catching up here after my computer devastation and extended leave of absence, but I have finally listened to chpts 1 - 4 and they are great!

At this rate I'll have finished by mid week. Hope that's okay!

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » December 3rd, 2006, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the summary Martin!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau

PIANIST(s) WANTED.

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » December 3rd, 2006, 8:04 pm

Is this book ready for listening? I'd love to listen!

SusanKC

vidalia11

Post by vidalia11 » December 3rd, 2006, 8:26 pm

HeartofTexas wrote:Is this book ready for listening? I'd love to listen!

SusanKC
If you have Itunes, go to the Itunes store, do a podcast search for Martin Clifton, and you can subscribe to his podcast. There you can download this book in individual chapters. It's very entertaining!

Karen

fae

Post by fae » December 3rd, 2006, 10:15 pm

I will update the window in the first post from now on, so just know that unless I find and error I think the reading is wonderful, even though it only says OK. That just means it's okay to catalog it, not an assessment of your reading Martin. You do know I am a big fan, don't ya.

Oh and I will post here when I am done listening just so that you get an email notification. BTW, is that feature up and running again? I don't use it myself, since I am here at all hours anyway. :roll:

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » December 3rd, 2006, 11:17 pm

fae wrote:... Oh and I will post here when I am done listening just so that you get an email notification. BTW, is that feature up and running again? ...
I had a problem with it like a few others but it seems to work now, most of the time at least.
Ezwa

Boileau

PIANIST(s) WANTED.

martinc

Post by martinc » December 4th, 2006, 3:06 am

fae

You are catching up very well after your disasters - thank you - "ok" is fine with me!

And thanks to all you clever guys and gals out there who have devised that amazing table showing the status of reading/listening and allowing listening to individual chapters it is incredible and very impressive.

For my next book (if I ever recover :wink: ) I will upload chapter by chapter to make the most of it - uploading all at once caused even my new gorgeous MacPro and broadband to struggle.

Martin