COMPLETE: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - CL/kh

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

This project is now complete and can be found here:
http://librivox.org/anne-of-green-gables-by-lucy-maud-montgomery-2/

Anita said something in a forum thread a couple of months ago that I have not been able to get out of my mind since. She said that she thought it would be great if everyone did a version of the public-domain work that was most important to his or her life. Or something along those lines. ;-) For me, that is definitely Anne of Green Gables -- the first time I fell in love with the language of classic literature, the first heroine I thought of as a friend (although I had been a voracious reader for years), the book I dreamed of sharing with my daughter(s) before I had daughters, the book I read aloud sitting next to my first daughter's isolette in the NICU. I realize that there's a collaborative version here already, but I truly would like to record this book. Is that OK?

It's a huge project (having read the novel at least twenty-five times, I'm aware of that :) ) and I won't be starting until I am finished with Silas Marner and Five Little Peppers..., probably in three weeks' time. But I've been giving a lot of thought to what I wanted to do next, and I think AoGG is it, if nobody minds my staking it out a bit in advance (for fear I'd finally finish with my two current projects and come to the forum ten minutes too late to write this post ;-) ).

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Source text: here
Target completion date: February 28th, 2007

BC Admin

tags:
Title: XX. Chapter Title
Author: L.M. Montgomery
Album: Anne of Green Gables
filenames: anne_green_gables_xx_montgomery.mp3
Last edited by rachelellen on October 25th, 2006, 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kristin

Post by kristin »

It's absolutely ok if you want to do this book. It's always been one of my favorites too. I'd love to MC this for you. Going to add my initials before someone beats me to it. :D
anna

Post by anna »

I'll do the prooflistening :D
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

I didn't know when I opened my big mouth about doing this that LibraryLady was already doing it as a solo project. I've already got my heart set on it, though... I don't suppose it will hurt to have two solos of the same book?

I'm about to edit the first post with all the various information that goes so nicely there, and then I'll see if I can do a chapter.
kristin

Post by kristin »

If you give me the number of chapters I can add one of the shiny new catalogue lists to the first post. :)

(I think we all want to record this book.)

EDIT: and I was too slow but I will still add one for you in a little bit.
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

kristin wrote: (I think we all want to record this book.)
I feel all conflicted about this project, honestly. I was thinking about the thing Anita said, about doing the book that's most important to you, and I looked all over the forums and couldn't find a solo of AoGG in progress (I think I didn't look past the first page of Going Solo -- am so used to Readers Wanted where it's all on the first page), so I thought, awesome! I'll do that! Then a while later she updated on her progress and the thread came up in the recent posts, and I felt like a fool. Librivox doesn't NEED two solos of this; Annie will do a fabulous job, so now I feel a bit like I'm wasting time that could be better spent on something that's more badly needed.

I did just read chapter one and I had SO MUCH FUN. But then, this isn't about me having fun, is it?
kristin

Post by kristin »

Yes, it is about you having fun and doing something that is special to you. People will appreciate Annie's recording and your's as well, they will find something unique in each interpretation. I'm following Annie's on her podcast right now and I fully intend to listen to your's too. There can never be too much Anne.
kristin

Post by kristin »

Annie wrote this in her solo thread, too.
I was glad to see someone else is taking on Anne as well - the more Anne the better!
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

kristin wrote:Yes, it is about you having fun and doing something that is special to you. People will appreciate Annie's recording and your's as well, they will find something unique in each interpretation. I'm following Annie's on her podcast right now and I fully intend to listen to your's too. There can never be too much Anne.
OK, I'll go ahead and do it; you talked me into it. ;-) (gee, THAT was hard.)

Thanks for the encouragement. And I agree -- there can never be too much Anne. Maybe we'll turn AoGG into a mammoth version of the Weekly Poetry recording. ;-)
kristin

Post by kristin »

:clap:
rachelellen wrote: Maybe we'll turn AoGG into a mammoth version of the Weekly Poetry recording. ;-)
I'm up for that. :D I never realised, till I found librivox, how many people have read and been effected by this book. I never new anyone else who had read it. What a wonderful place this is.
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

kristin wrote::clap:
rachelellen wrote: Maybe we'll turn AoGG into a mammoth version of the Weekly Poetry recording. ;-)
I'm up for that. :D I never realised, till I found librivox, how many people have read and been effected by this book. I never new anyone else who had read it. What a wonderful place this is.
I agree! :)

The first thing I did when I had Internet access just happened to be researching L.M. Montgomery. This was ten years ago now -- I was 21 with a tiny baby. I was totally in love with the Anne series and read it literally four or five times A YEAR. I would start at the beginning of AoGG and go through to the end of Rilla and then go back to the beginning and start over. I found an email list about her works, and joined, and voila, the first online friendships I ever had were formed (also, I learned about the rest of the books Montgomery wrote, so I could stop wearing out my Annes quite so fast). I'm still on that list, although it's a very different one from what it was ten years ago, before the era of Yahoogroups etc. I felt as you describe -- I had no idea that other adults loved her books so much.
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

OK, Chapter 1 is uploading here and should be done in twenty minutes or thereabouts.
anna

Post by anna »

I've downloaded chapter 1 :D
anna

Post by anna »

CHAPTER 1 - OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Do you edit the reader list or I?

Greetings Anna
kristin

Post by kristin »

Hmmm... there's that question again. Do we have a precident on this yet or is it just preference? I'd say go ahead and edit it. Though I've already put in the first one. :D