[COMPLETE] The Art of the Moving Picture by V. Lindsay-gu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The Art of the Moving Picture by Vachel Lindsay (1879 - 1931) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-art-of-the-moving-picture-by-vachel-lindsay/
"This 1922 book by poet and sometime cultural critic Vachel Lindsay might have been the first to treat the then-new medium of moving pictures as an art form, one that was potentially as rich, complex, mysterious as far older ones, and whose physical and aesthetic properties were only starting to be understood. The highlight of the book might be “The Motion Picture of Fairy Splendor,” which examines the relationship between film storytelling, magic, myths, legends and bedtime stories. It’s discombobulating, in a good way, to read Lindsay’s attempts to grapple with what, precisely, cinema is. Being supposedly sophisticated 21st century people, we all feel as though we know what cinema is, and don’t need to have the basics explained to us, but this is really just vanity and ignorance talking. Bottom line: You haven’t really, seriously thought about movies — what they are, and what they can and cannot do, and become — until you’ve read this book." (Salon.com)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Nov-21 .
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13029
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 23
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vachel_Lindsay
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Date of first publication: 1915

=======================================================

Genres for the project:
    art

Keywords that describe the book:
    film, cinema, movies, film theory
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Art of the Moving Picture. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Art of the Moving Picture , by Vachel Lindsay . [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Art of the Moving Picture , by Vachel Lindsay . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    artofthemovingpicture_##_lindsay.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Vachel Lindsay
    Album: The Art of the Moving Picture

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: gu - Guero
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ChuckW on February 2nd, 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

A couple of notes:

1) In addition to acting as coordinator, I will also be the DPL on this project. Don't worry, it won't be too much work. I'm actually using this book extensively in an unrelated research project, so it'll be a worthwhile endeavor on many levels.

2) I have also recorded the first two sections of this book, which is somewhat merciful for the other volunteers since Lindsay's opening notes are a garrulous, maddening mess (which I kinda like!).

3) I will obviously need a PL for my own contributions, as I am definitely not good at judging my own material.

Thanks! This should do it for LibriVox projects... for now. I think I've got enough to keep me busy for quite a while.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Guero

Post by Guero »

I'll MC this for you, Chuck. Be back in a few with the Magic Window.

Edit: The MW is up! Just one suggestion: I'm not confident that the description from Amazon.com is public domain. I'd feel more comfortable if you'd find one that is, or write one in your own words. No rush on that. We just need to do it before cataloging.

I look forward to working with you on this! Let me know if you have any questions. :D
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks Guero! :) Just completed the information in the magic window and will start looking for new summaries to post. In the meantime, I should have the first two chapters posted within the hour. From there, I'll start flexing my moderator muscle. Or something like that.

Looking forward to working with you.
PROJECTS
Guero

Post by Guero »

Holy moly, you're fast! :)

Normally at this point I'd move us to Readers Wanted, since we have a DPL and you've filled in the MW completely. But, we'll stay in the Launch Pad for the day, just to make sure people get a chance to see it before it joins the others in Readers Wanted.
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Haha! Chalk that up to some behind-the-scenes scheming and an occupation that gives me some free time in the mornings. ;)
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

00 - http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/artofthemovingpicture_00_lindsay.mp3
Duration: 8:19

I should have the first chapter posted after I make some minor corrections to the sound file.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Quick question--do I need to post in the Listeners/Editors section to try to recruit a temporary PL for the chapters I've recorded (and may record in the future)?
PROJECTS
Guero

Post by Guero »

I'd be happy to PL those sections as soon as I finish my other PL commitments. I think it would be easier that way. Does that sound fine to you?

Moving us to Readers Wanted now...
John
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Guero wrote:I'd be happy to PL those sections as soon as I finish my other PL commitments. I think it would be easier that way. Does that sound fine to you?

Moving us to Readers Wanted now...
That would be great, Guero, as long as you have the free time. I don't want to overburden you. :) Thank you, as always. I really appreciate all your help.
PROJECTS
numbrel

Post by numbrel »

I would like to take Section 2.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

numbrel wrote:I would like to take Section 2.
Thanks numbrel! Section 02 is all yours!
PROJECTS
johngon

Post by johngon »

I'd like to do Chapter 2 & Chapters 5-7 (the Splendor chapters)
gahnzz.com - my little home on the vast interwebs
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

johngon wrote:I'd like to do Chapter 2 & Chapters 5-7 (the Splendor chapters)
That would be awesome, John! Thank you so much! :)

Edit: Agh! I just accidentally gave you an extra chapter! Trying to correct this error, but not having any success.

Edit: Uh, this is kinda embarrassing... but could anyone help me out and tell me how to delete johngon's name from Chapter IV? Thanks.
PROJECTS