COMPLETE Letters of Travel by Rudyard Kipling - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL Notes for Ch. 18:

Areas of flattened signal, possible clipping:
1:23.0--1:25.0
16:12.4--16:14.7
I can't honestly say I hear any distortion myself, but the signal looks clipped to me when I look at it in Audacity.

00:45.4 "carried us out of Marseilles", the word "of" is read as "from"

02:21.4 "It's open for two half-hours a day week-days", the word "and" is inserted between the words "two" and "half-hours"

03:46.7 "But it's absurd", the word "But" is either omitted or voiced too softly to hear

05:26.3 "a sick wife left behind here", the word "a" is read as "the"

06:08.8 "by forcing on him forbidden Mussulman food", the word "on" is omitted

06:17.7 "the godless one drew his Afghan knife", the word "drew" is read as "threw"

10:35.4 "far and far to the south", the word "and" is omitted

12:17.5 "he bought a devil in a box" is read as "he brought in a devil in a box"

12:36.1 "suppose that your son had brought a devil in a box to your village", the words "devil in a box to your" are read as "devil-box into your"

12:40.8 "they explained to him at last that under British rule", the word "rule" is read as "law"

13:56.8 "to know exactly what there might be in her", the word "there" is omitted

14:19.2 "was about five foot clearance on each side for the P. & O.", the word "for" is read as "on"

15:49.8 "close to their own cabins", the word "own" is omitted
Midge Coates
Digital Projects Librarian
Auburn University

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and ... Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." Mark Twain
midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL Notes for Ch. 19

7:55.5--7:58.8
8:06.5--8:09.5
8:17.7--8:18.5

5:43.1 "as a prince entering on his kingdom", the word "on" is omitted

9:39.0 "no one at the table had even turned his head", the word "even" is read as "ever"

10:12.4, there seems to be a stray "there is" that doesn't belong here and should be removed
Midge Coates
Auburn University

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and ... Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." Mark Twain
midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL Notes for Ch. 20:

7:06.4 "So did the bloodless face of a very old Turk" is read as "As did the bloodless face of every Turk"

7:59.7 "Shod white men, unless they are agriculturists", the words "white men" are omitted

14:43 "Where men prayed in the dull mutter", the word "mutter" is read as "manner"
Midge Coates
Auburn University

midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL Notes for Ch 21:

3:25.3-3:26.4
4:01.3-4:02.4
16:01.4-16:03.2
16:38.4-16:39.6

4:07.5 "under the big interested beak", the word "interested" is read as "interesting"

5:43.6 "a boy can't get away from them" is read as "can a boy get away from them"
Midge Coates
Auburn University

tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

I'm sorry, the return from Sri Lanka then Christmas and then all the busyness of summer and a new year caused this to get overlooked :( I have started the corrections, there seem to be a lot in these chapters, maybe I was reading in a hurry - I'll try to be more accurate in the next ones :)

Uploading corrected chapter 18 next...
Tim Bulkeley

http://stories.org.nz/
Not only Librivox but other works out of copyright in NZ and Canada
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

I've corrected and am uploading the other chapters. I think the areas of possible clipping are where I raise my voice to imitate shouting and the like, so if there is a little distortion (and like you I can't actually hear any) it is probably OK... Rereading those sections could be difficult to match in to the rest if I was quieter, I think...
Tim Bulkeley

midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

Chapter 20. This got overlooked in the corrections:

7:06.4 "So did the bloodless face of a very old Turk" is read as "As did the bloodless face of every Turk"
Midge Coates
Auburn University

midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PLs complete for Chapters 18, 19, and 21.
Midge Coates
Auburn University

tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

midgecoates wrote:Chapter 20. This got overlooked in the corrections:

Aagh! I was sure I remembered doing that one, but (assuming my slight cough this morning has not changed my voice too much) I'll do it now!
Tim Bulkeley

tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

Chapter 22 done http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/lettersoftravel_22_kipling.mp3 so at least I'm getting there and not yet a year late ;)
Tim Bulkeley

tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

Chapter 23 done http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/lettersoftravel_23_kipling.mp3 Just one (plus corrections to the last few) to go...

This project has taken too long, I am sorry :( But it is nearly complete :)
Tim Bulkeley

tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

Final chapter ready for PL :)
At long last the project is nearing completion, I am sorry it has taken longer than I expected.
Tim Bulkeley

midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL Notes for Ch. 22

At the beginning, where there should be 0.5 to 1.0 sec of silence, there is only about 0.2 sec.

1:32.5 "Tell me, he ever did anything in his life?" the "me, he" portion is slurred together -- possibly a bit (too large a bit) clipped out from between them??

2:34.5 "I'm going to take shares in a city" is read as "I'm going to share stakes in a city"

6:05.5 "snail smears" is read as "small smears"

16:27.5 "perhaps it was the memory of some hideous fever-bout", the word "hideous" is read as "henious"

16:38.5 "underhung with patterned cloths", the word "underhung" is read as "overhung"
Midge Coates
Auburn University

midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL for Ch. 23

15:19.5 "he fingered, he fawned with an unsteady eye", the word "fingered" is read as "lingered"

15:25.5 "I saw behind him the puffy pink face", the word "pink" is omitted
Midge Coates
Auburn University

midgecoates

Post by midgecoates »

PL for Ch. 24

10:53.5 "And that a man, even a woman" the words "a man" are read as "every man"

11:08.4 "they realized that the new order was sure" the word "order" is read as "life"
Midge Coates
Auburn University