[COMPLETE]The Malay Archipelago V2 by Alfred R. Wallace-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

The Malay Archipelago Vol.2 by Alfred Russell Wallace (1823 - 1913) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-malay-archipelago-vol-2-by-alfred-russel-wallace/
A fascinating and classic Victorian ethnology of SE Asia, first published in 1869. The author was co-discoverer of evolution, together with Darwin. (Summary by Nicholas Longhurst)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Oct-26
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2539/2539-h/2539-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Russel_Wallace
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Malay_Archipelago
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Original publication date (if known): 1869
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? nlonghu
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    history, nature, science, travel

Keywords that describe the book:
    Ethnology - Natural History - travel
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Malay Archipelago Vol.2 . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Malay Archipelago Vol.2 , by Alfred Russell Wallace . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Malay Archipelago Vol.2 by Alfred Russell Wallace . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Malay Archipelago Vol.2 , by Alfred Russell Wallace . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    malayarchipelagovol2_##_wallace.mp3 where ## is the section number
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Alfred Russell Wallace
    Album: The Malay Archipelago Vol.2

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by nlonghu on April 16th, 2012, 10:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us." ~Franz Kafka
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm full up on MC projects, but I wanted to mention that since the text you're using on Archive is originally from Gutenberg, you might as well use the Gutenberg link. It's here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2539

;)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi nlonghu. since you seem sorta new to Librivox, I just want to mention that if you put a tilde ~ at the front of the title, it tells people that you do not have a DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) and might attract one because this sounds like an interesting book.

Have fun reading! and ask questions if you have any. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
So you decided to go it alone
Everyone seems to be offering advice - which I am sure is annoying but we do like to give all our readers a successful and enjoyable start with us and we have found most times that people underestimate the difficulties that they may have - it seems easy - anyone can read a book aloud can't they
And yes it is easy - but a little experience does help and at the moment you are a completely unknown quantity - you do get a plus for setting up the template so that is one hurdle overcome.
While you are waiting for an MC how about doing a small sound check ?
I have quoted from the email now sent to all people as they sign on. If you have been recording since you could walk - just skip the setup bit and do the 1 min recording - then you will have all your settings right to go.
It would be nice to have this in the catalogue :D
If you wish to try your hand at recording, the place to start is the Newbie Guide to Recording: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording, which tells you how to set up your computer to record.
We urge you to make a "1 Minute Test" for review before you start actively recording. This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc. You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.
Anne
nlonghu 2610

Post by nlonghu 2610 »

Thank you Annise, Pilchenevert, Tricia G for your advice and pointers -- all most warmly appreciated. And no, I am not annoyed with getting advice: on the contrary, I like the feeling of being in a welcoming (and professional) community! ...Where details matter.!

I am new in the sense of actual production, but I have been browsing the Librivox pages for a few months and liked what I saw and heard. I've seen your names before in different forums. There is still a lot I need to learn, so do continue treating me as a newbie :D

So, I'll add the tilde ~ and .. add the new link ... Should I upload the whole form again, with necessary corrections or is it possible here? ... As you can tell, I am still new to some basic technical aspects...

I'll make a 1-minute sound recording for you. I have done this before for two recent contributions, but with a different microphone. I have just replaced my Logitech stick microphone with a Samson CO1U (USB) device- let's see what the effect is !
Last edited by nlonghu 2610 on January 23rd, 2012, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Just click the EDIT button in the upper right corner of your first post. Then go in and find where you had the archive.org link and replace it with the other. And while you're in there, you can put in the tilde in the subject line. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Off topic for an admin-y question -- are you registered on the forum under two different names? (Your first post and most recent are different.) It will be much simpler to stick with just one forum name, since project claims and catalog credit are linked to your forum name. I can deactivate one of them if you like. Remember too that you will only be able to edit posts made under whichever name you are currently logged on with.
Laurie Anne
nlonghu 2610

Post by nlonghu 2610 »

I see what you mean - I'll keep it to nlonghu (the first) as my forum name. Thanks for this.
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

OK - all straightened out
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll MC this for you as you have done some reading before - life gets very confusing when people post with 2 names - but do do a check with your new microphone and post it in Listeners wanted.

Back with your window and some instructions soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You now have a MW and I have PMed your password - what you need to do now is
Change the spelling of Russel in anything you are going to use - ID tags etc - I am pretty sure it is not Russell but am open for an opposing case to be put

You will notice I have enter in the title field suggestions for the first couple of titles - you will need to enter the rest - please use the section numbers at the beginning , it keeps the chapters in order.

When you have a file uploaded , paste the URL in the spot in the MW put the duration mm:ss in the notes field and post something in the thread so that the DPL and I get notified
That's enough for now - we will hang around and see if we attract a DPL :D

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Thanks Annise for being the MC of this project !

You're right about the spelling of Russel - one "L" only and I note the changes you made in the heading. Shame on me! :)

By the way, the Guthenberg text is full of typos, which are distracting and can lead to some confusion at times. I may just read from the published version. Is this permitted for Librivox readings?

btw I did not see a PM for private password, though I did empty my mailbox just today. Might I have chucked your PM by mistake? :shock:
Last edited by nlonghu on January 24th, 2012, 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The very big problem with hard copies is the tendency of publishers to make changes in later editions - abbreviate bits , remove politically incorrect bits etc etc - and this can give the publisher a copyright on the text - and has in a couple of cases meant we have had to take whole books out of the catalogue. So you would need to be very careful that the texts - apart from any OCR mistakes - are identical . What exactly does the page say about the copy you have ?

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

section 01 recorded (00:17:27) and ready for PL

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/malayarchipelagovol2_01_wallace.mp3

I'll see if I can put this in the MW ... new to this. Annise you mentioned you sent me a password, can you send it again? I may have thrown it away by mistake...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THe PM is still in my outbox -look up the top of the page and you should see something saying "1 new message/s" - click and you will get to your inbox

Have we solved the problem of what text you are reading from ? I need to know it is PD .

Anne