[COMPLETE]The Malay Archipelago V2 by Alfred R. Wallace-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

section 10 complete and ready for DPL!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/malayarchipelagovol2_10_wallace.mp3

(00:28:24)

Thanks for your notes ArchaDI, I'll see what I can do to reduce background noise and shift in volume. Not sure there is much I can do about the second though...
"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us." ~Franz Kafka
ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl »

Hi Nick,

I am downloading the new section now. Will try to listen to it during the course of the afternoon.

The first one should be a reasonably easy fix but I agree about the volume change. I do not know of a way except if you can (And I am just speculating here) cut that bit out and resave it as a new track. Gaindrop the new track and remix. But thats only if you really feel its necessary.
As I was saying in one of the other projects I am PL'ing. Id rather note everything and give you the choice. I am happy with whatever you decide, just make a note in the thread so that I know I can ignore it during the recheck.

Looking forward to the next chapter.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I haven't listened or looked - but there are a couple of things you can do - depending of what it is.
You can highlight the low bit - just by sight, listen, amplify just the highlighted bit till it looks about the same, listen. If it is wrong go to edit and undo then try again. You can usually get good results - but always use your ears to decide.
edit to add - if it is too loud in a patch jjust do the same thing but amplify as a negative number

If the volume is all over the place and you don't have the patience of a saint you can try the leveller in the effects over the whole file. Again use your ears - if it doesn't work undo it . I find a couple of light runs better than 1 heavy
If you do fiddle - it is a good idea to export the file as a flac before you start - that way you can always get your file back if something nasty happens.

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Hi Annise and ArchaDI,

Thank you ArchaDI for the PL notes. I am now editing and correcting, with your helpful comments.

Annise, I have marked in red "PL OK" when I upload the corrected/improved version. I am not sure if this is the correct procedure -- it is the simplest and quickest though.
Last edited by nlonghu on December 8th, 2012, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

sections 9 and 11 now improved and re-uploaded. I have changed the PL notes to (in red) PL OK.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

WE usually do ask the PLer to spot check - it has been known (Often) for readers to upload the wrong file :D

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Right you are Annise. I'll stick to procedure and let the PL-er spot check and make the necessary changes to the MW.
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

It looks like I made two versions of section 16. This one (below) sounds better, to my mind, than the one I uploaded. Care to spot-listen to both versions?

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/malayarchipelago_16(2)_wallace.mp3

I expect I will need to upload this to the MW. Unless you have another way of hearing it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Nick
You don't need to put it in the MW , it can be downloaded from here
I've been and fixed a few file names because
it doesn't like brackets in file names - so I have made it _2_ instead of (2)
I have changed 36 and 37 to 16 and 17
I have added vol2 to some (this is important as I still have the first volume in my part of the uploader)
THey all should be right now everywhere - please try and keep them with the right label , I would hate to lose any :D
I'll have alisten to the 16s later , have a few things to finish first

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Thanks for that Anne. I noticed those inconsistencies in labeling - you got there before me. I'll be sure to keep a careful eye on this from now on to avoid unnecessary work.

Do we still have a PL-er ?
ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl »

Hi Nick,

Sorry this has taken so long. Was a couple of hectic weeks at work and I didn't notice the updates.
I have spot-checked your fixes on sections 9 and 11. They are both PL OK!

I have also finished with section 10 and I am pleased to report that that passes first time. Also PL OK!

I think standard practice is if you dont have a DPL that you edit the MW yourself once a PL has given you the thumbs up. However, if you want and if Anne can arrange it,and you are happy for me to continue, I will take over as DPL on this project. Should be able to catch up during the last couple of weeks of the year.

Just let me know

Bernard
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks
I'm happy for you to DPL and I'm sure Nick will be too

Anne