[COMPLETE]The Malay Archipelago V2 by Alfred R. Wallace-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was hoping you might volunteer :D . Do you have a MW password ?

Anne
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

annise wrote:I was hoping you might volunteer :D . Do you have a MW password ?

Anne
Yes, I have one. Should be good to go!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Hi ChuckW -

Great to hear the good news: so-you'd like to commit to this monster production! :wink:

Next chapter ready next week: over 50 minutes already....
Last edited by nlonghu on January 31st, 2012, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us." ~Franz Kafka
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

nlonghu wrote:Hi ChuckW -

Great to hear the good news: so-you'd like to commit to this monster production! :wink:

Next chapter on its way: over 50 minutes ....
50 MINUTES?!?!? Wait, I've changed my mind!!!

Just kidding, of course. I'll give it a listen when I get a chance. In the mean time, I noticed that you're files for the first two chapters are PL OK. Did you make the necessary corrections and get someone else to proof listen?
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Chapter 24

Took a little longer than expected to clean up and improve, but now presentable...

(48:48)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/malayarchipelagovol2_24_wallace.mp3

Have fun PLing ! -- I suspect already that I will need to amplify this recording a bit .. .
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
Nice to see another file - if they get much longer than an hour they can always be split into 2 - just let us know if it happens
File names should be based on the section number not the chapter , leave the ones you have done - and after they are PL OK I will change them - - it is the same for all projects - even those with very short chpters that have 3 per section and those with only half a chapter per section.

And can you pop it in the MW :D

Anne

Edit later - what happened to section 3 (chapter XIII TERNATE TO THE KAIOA ISLANDS AND BATCHIAN. ) I will be out all day , so don't change anything till I know exactly what is happening )
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Section 3 in the works, I skipped it for something a little shorter but have it in mind.

Yes, cutting these up into shorter recordings makes sense - 48 minutes voice recording is deadly, esp. with the editing aftr. The reason I haven't dared to chop up recordings yet is that the sound (and my voice) are different each sitting; this could be distracting for a listener.

Unless you mean I chop it up and submit it piecemeal to the DPL, to make things easier -- hope you are still there ChuckW We need you. :)

FYI :birthday:
Nancy Eckholm Burkert's birthday soon (most notable for her haunting art in the first edition of _James and the Giant Peach_ and in _Snow White_ ). On Feb. 16 she'll be turning 77.

The current choice of illustrator (Quentin Blake) is a disgrace, frankly.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

nlonghu wrote:Section 3 in the works, I skipped it for something a little shorter but have it in mind.

Yes, cutting these up into shorter recordings makes sense - 48 minutes voice recording is deadly, esp. with the editing aftr. The reason I haven't dared to chop up recordings yet is that the sound (and my voice) are different each sitting; this could be distracting for a listener.

Unless you mean I chop it up and submit it piecemeal to the DPL, to make things easier -- hope you are still there ChuckW We need you. :)

Nancy Eckholm Burkert's birthday soon (most notable for her haunting art in the first edition of _James and the Giant Peach_ and in _Snow White_ ). On Feb. 16 she'll be turning 77.

What I meant was that you should check the chapter size - and make it 2 files for the catalogue
If say section 3 is longer , you could have 2 parts , and we would make the MW be

03 - <title> part 1 and the file name would have 03
04 - <title> part 2 and the file name would have 04

You could just do a word count on the rest of the chapters - 5000 words is roughly 30 mins readiing and see if there are some too long for you and post and we could go from there
There are lots of ways to do word counts - copying and pasting into a word program then using the tools - word count is pretty easy

Anne
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

nlonghu wrote:Section 3 in the works, I skipped it for something a little shorter but have it in mind.

Don't worry--I will get to this soon. :) I've had a somewhat busy week, so it might not be until the end of the week. But I will give it a listen soon. :)
PROJECTS
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

annise,

I am no longer able to edit the MW - the system does not accept the Username and Password that I type in. I have not changed it since first receiving it. Any way to get round this ?
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Just downloaded the file and will give feedback tomorrow afternoon. One thing I did notice, however, is that the filename is based on chapter instead of section number. For instance, your most recent addition should be

malayarchipelagovol2_04_wallace

and not

malayarchipelagovol2_24_wallace

Don't you love these minor technicalities? :roll:
PROJECTS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

nlonghu wrote:annise,

I am no longer able to edit the MW - the system does not accept the Username and Password that I type in. I have not changed it since first receiving it. Any way to get round this ?
The password will not have changed - are you using your forum one by mistake ?
I have sent you the password again with instructions Don't forget it is case sensitive.

Anne
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Sorry about the long wait, but things have been rather busy on my end. Anyway, the newest chapter is PL OK -- with one stipulation. Nothing major, really. Just make sure from here on in that you use the section number in the file name instead of the chapter number. Otherwise, this reading is fantastic.

Looking forward to the next section. Do not hesitate to break individual chapters up into two or more sections if the length necessitates it.
PROJECTS
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Great - thanks for spotting this ChuckW. I'll keep this in mind as I go.

Annise, the problem of logging in was solved shortly after you responded. Now all clear.

ChuckW, I have four recordings ready for you: I will clean them up before placing them in the MW; however, if you are in a hurry (or really keen-I've kept you waiting) I can give one now, but it will obviously have a few more mistakes and repeats than previous submissions. Let me know if you'd like one already. :)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

nlonghu wrote:Great - thanks for spotting this ChuckW. I'll keep this in mind as I go.

Annise, the problem of logging in was solved shortly after you responded. Now all clear.

ChuckW, I have four recordings ready for you: I will clean them up before placing them in the MW; however, if you are in a hurry (or really keen-I've kept you waiting) I can give one now, but it will obviously have a few more mistakes and repeats than previous submissions. Let me know if you'd like one already. :)
No need to rush--take your time. I actually have quite a few audio files I need to PL right now, so it might help if we wait. So feel free to clean them up all you want. I can be patient (ie. overworked). :)
PROJECTS