COMPLETE The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/the-count-of-monte-cristo-by-alexandre-dumas-2/
The sailor Edmond Dantes is wrongly accused of treason and imprisoned in the Châteu d'If. After twenty years, he manages to escape, and by direction of one of his co-prisoners finds a treasure on the island of Monte Cristo. Edmond becomes the Count of Monte Cristo, and he seeks vengence and retribution against those who betrayed him. (Summary by Kristingj)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2013-Jun-01 .
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: special: Standard, plus making sure the abbreviations beneath are followed, as well as making sure the French names are pronounced somewhat right :) .

Note: This book, being a French one, contains quite a few French words and names. Usually if you write "[word] pronunciation" in Google search, you can find it. Forvo is a great site too, there are plenty of pronunciations, recorded by native speakers. If a word is not recorded yet, you can add it with its language and somebody will record it [you need to register to add words].
    However, Nadine [neckertb] has kindly agreed to help. If you need to hear the words to pronounce them, PM her the words and she'll record them and upload. If you require this, please read through your chapter(s) and send her the words you have problem with [and not just one word per PM when some French word occurs]. Please take into account that she's a volunteer too, so you may need to wait some time. She's mainly online in the evening [European time].

Common abbreviations:

Mme: Madame
    Mlle: Mademoiselle
    M.: Monsieur

Simple pronounciation guide(curtesy of neckertb):

Dantes - with the "s"
    Paris - in French, without the "s", but since this is an English translation, I'd go for the English pronunciation in this case
    Mercedes - Mare-say-dees (there is no stress anywhere in French)
    Pharaon - Far-ah-own

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] Part [number] (if it applies) of The Count of Monte Cristo. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Count of Monte Cristo , by Alexandre Dumas . [Chapter [number], name and Part [number] (if it applies)]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter] Part [number] (if it applies)"
    • At the end of the second part of a multi-part chapter, please put the Part # first, saying:
      "End of Part 2 and End of Chapter 33."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Count of Monte Cristo , by Alexandre Dumas . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    countofmontecristo_###_dumas.mp3, where ### is section number (IMPORTANT!! the number should be section number, NOT chapter number)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ### - [Chapter no] - [Section title] (050 - Chapter XLIX - Haidee) (please copy from the mw)
    Artist: Alexandre Dumas
    Album: The Count of Monte Cristo

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Kristingj on March 22nd, 2013, 8:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Yes, I am aware of it. The reason I want to do this, is that it was the first LibriVox recording I listened to. This book is one of my favorites, and there was a lot of silly mistakes throughout. I am aware it will take long, and I am also prepared to move the date more, but I have wanted to make a new one since I started volunteering.
Kristin

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ok, i can dpl this one, and ill be picky as hell as you asked me to ;)

CK
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Carolin wrote:ok, i can dpl this one, and ill be picky as hell as you asked me to.

CK
Yay, thank you! I was wondering if I would be taking it to far to ask for word perfect...?
Kristin

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i wouldnt use word perfect for such works of fiction i think, because minor deviations from the text wont hurt the story. i think i know what you are concerned about and ill look for those problems when i pl then :)

CK
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Great, sounds good:)
Kristin

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ok good, you will be my first mc'ing guinea pig. ill be back with a magic window shortly hopefully.

CK

eta: i made you a magic window. my first one, it is beautiful. i changed your text link to the main page of the book instead of the html page.
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

This book read by Simon Vance is my favourite audiobook experience, I think I'll help out here once I've gotten some of the bigger dramatic roles Ive taken on out of the way :P
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Carolin wrote:ok good, you will be my first mc'ing guinea pig. ill be back with a magic window shortly hopefully.

CK

eta: i made you a magic window. my first one, it is beautiful. i changed your text link to the main page of the book instead of the html page.
Ohh!! I feel so honored! And yes, it is beautiful :mrgreen: Thanks!
Kristin

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

please let me know which tags you would like on this one, and please make sure the sections sort correctly (see pm) :)

CK
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Oki, ignore the PM I sent you, I need three more sections, as I had to split three chapters:)
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

And as for tags.... Hmm, I think Adventure and historical
Kristin

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

sections added, tags added :)

CK
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ba - bart
This is confusing. :) Should be changed to ck?
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi darvinia,

the reason for that is that i was elevated to the mc position only last week and i dont have my own folder yet. bart is helping me out with space. thanks for noticing, i was going to put an explanatory note but forgot.

CK