[COMPLETE] The Oresteia, by Aeschylus - PL/ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
strangebrooch

Post by strangebrooch »

Caeristhiona wrote:Alright, your responsibility is basically to provide a recording of the Slavewomen's lines that everyone else can follow along with. Looking at kayray's posts in this thread gives a good idea of what's required. I'd suggest giving it a strong rhythm, and a slower reading -- enough that other people can listen to you and follow along easily. Other than that, sounds like you have good dramatic instincts. :D I'llleave it up to you.
Okay, I'll get on that ASAP.

One question: I have an edition of the Oresteia that marks some lines -- generally the short ones in dialogue with named characters (Electra or Orestes) -- as spoken just by the chorus leader. This script doesn't do that; are we going to do them all together, then, or what?
[size=84]For if hevene be on this erthe, and ese to any soule,
It is in cloister or in scole, by many skiles I fynde.
-- William Langland, [i]Piers Plowman[/i] X.299-300
http://www.dsproductions.org
[/size]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I'm still deciding that. Since the production has NO visuals, it seems it might be confusing to have only one of the Chorus speak. So, I'll make it up. For now, I'd like all members of the chorus to read all the lines.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
jjamison

Post by jjamison »

I'm a big fan of classical Greek drama and would love to be in on this. I could probably take on Orestes but please let me check my copy at home to review the character.

John
John Jamison
Guangzhou, China
johnmjamison@yahoo.com
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

An excellent resource for our reading of this trilogy has just been released (today) by Project Gutenberg. It is "The Story of Orestes" by Moulton. It summarizes each of the three plays, giving commentary, and also quoting key passages.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19559

Think of this as public-domain Cliff's Notes from 1904! Neat, huh?

I would think it would be useful to readers taking on characters to have an overview of the action ... I know that too often I take on readings without having read the entire work I'm involved with.

-denny

ps. It also contains summaries (with quotes) of a number of other plays that involve Orestes, including

ELECTRA, by Sophocles

ELECTRA, by Euripides

ALCESTIS, by Euripides

THE CYCLOPS, by Euripides

THE BACCHANALS, by Euripides
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

John, sounds wonderful! I'd love for you to jump on board. It is a pretty huge part though, so by all means double-check whether you want to take it on. I will remind you though to make sure that if you do decide to read, please use the same version of the play as everyone else is using. If you have it in print form, then you're of course allowed to read from it, but otherwise use the online version. :)

Denny, thank you! That's an incredible resource. And who knows -- maybe after we finisht The Oresteia, we can take on some of these other plays.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
frenchaudrey

Post by frenchaudrey »

That really is a great resource! I was a little worried in getting the proper emotion for some of Electra's terribly long monologues. I know that as soon as a verse is beyond 14 lines, I lose sight of what is important! Also, for more resources I know that SparkNotes offers many of their guides free online.
Here is the link to The Libation Bearers
http://www.sparknotes.com/drama/libationbearers/

Hope it helps!
~Claire
BaruMonkey

Post by BaruMonkey »

I'd like to read for Apollo.

Here's a couple of my Librivox recordings...
One with a few different voices: The Wondrous Wise Man (from Mother Goose in Prose. by L. Frank Baum)
And one from a play: My audition for Mercutio (for LV's recording of Romeo and Juliet)
[b][size=67][url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/AndrewLebrun]BaruMonkey's LV Wiki[/url][/size][/b]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Sure thing, BaruMonkey. Great audition! I will fill your name right in there.

While I'm here, how is everyone coming with their sections? All I have so far, I think, is Kara's recording of the Furies' part.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Athena is almost done. Hafta make sure there's nothing bad in the last few lines, and then I'd like to listen to it all again before sending it to you. No more than about another week, I expect.

-Catharine
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

No trouble. :) I ask more out of curiosity than anything. We haven't even filled all the parts yet.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
BaruMonkey

Post by BaruMonkey »

Caeristhiona wrote:Sure thing, BaruMonkey. Great audition! I will fill your name right in there.

While I'm here, how is everyone coming with their sections? All I have so far, I think, is Kara's recording of the Furies' part.
Heh. Looking at the script, it looks like Apollo doesn't have any lines until the third part of the trilogy. Maybe I could take the role of Aegisthus for the first two, then switch to Apollo for the third? Or would that be too much of one voice?

Here's my Aegisthus audition -- Mercutio from Romeo & Juliet again, but this time angry and dying:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5ogqei0j0om (5:34, 29MB)
[b][size=67][url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/AndrewLebrun]BaruMonkey's LV Wiki[/url][/size][/b]
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

BaruMonkey wrote:I'd like to read for Apollo.

One with a few different voices: The Wondrous Wise Man (from Mother Goose in Prose. by L. Frank Baum)
And one from a play: My audition for Mercutio (for LV's recording of Romeo and Juliet)
I listened, too, to this audition for Mercution, and it was impressive, oh my goodness. This is my favorite role in all in Romeo and Juliet, and you render it well. I would have applied long ago for it, but the stipulation that a British or semi-British accent prevented that ... having said that, it is a real pleasure to hear your interpretation of Mercutio, and know that it will be in the LibriVox release.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
BaruMonkey

Post by BaruMonkey »

DSayers wrote:
BaruMonkey wrote:I'd like to read for Apollo.

I listened, too, to this audition for Mercution, and it was impressive, oh my goodness. This is my favorite role in all in Romeo and Juliet, and you render it well. I would have applied long ago for it, but the stipulation that a British or semi-British accent prevented that ... having said that, it is a real pleasure to hear your interpretation of Mercutio, and know that it will be in the LibriVox release.

-denny
Thanks very much for the kind words :D
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

As long as you can differentiate the voices, I don't see why that wouldn't be perfectly okay. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Caeristhiona's computer has had a crisis, and she's asked me to take on BC duties while she's getting it fixed. I'll be storing any files that come in, and that sort of thing. :)

-Catharine