COMPLETE [POETRY] The Eclogues, by Virgil - kh

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

This project has been activated again. New co-BC: lezer (=Anna) - Oct 4, 2008

The Eclogues by Virgil.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-eclogues-by-publius-vergilius-maro/

This book was a bestseller in ancient Rome, and still holds a fascination today. Held to be divinely inspired not only by the Romans themselves, but by the Medieval Catholic church, Eclogae is one of the most beloved collections of Latin short poetry.

This particular recording will be in English translation. A Latin recording is also in progress here:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3691

Half of the poems are monologues, while the other half are dialogues between several recurring characters. You are strongly encouraged to sign up for ALL the parts read by your character (Menalcas, Damon, et c.) if you sign up for a dialogue. All the parts are extremely short, and extremely simple. Have fun! :D

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Would an "Octo-gone" finish be feasible?? – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. Special rule: only claim one character at a time - once you've submitted a recording, you are welcome to claim another (not in the same eclogue)
    Also: if you haven't reported back in 1 month after claiming a part (even if it's only to report it isn't finished yet) your part will be made available to other readers.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/230
    (Also, for some of the eclogues, I've made Google Docs with different colours for different characters - see below)
  5. Please claim parts (the blue numbers)!

Blue = available
    Red = claimed but not yet done
    Yellow = done, PL and/or edit needed
    Green = done & PL-OK

Eclogue 01 - DONE
    01a - Meliboeus[/b] (DONE by DSayers)
    01b - Tityrus (DONE by Kayray, Oct 12, 2008)

Eclogue 02 (DONE by Cori)

Eclogue 03 - DONE
    03a - Menalcas (approx. 574 words) (DONE by Leni)
    03b - Damoetas (DONE by timberwolfmage)
    03c - Palaemon (approx 87 words) (DONE by kayray)

Eclogue 04 (DONE by Cori)

Eclogue 05 - DONE
    05a - Menalcas[/b] (DONE by Leni)
    05b - Mopsus (DONE by lezer)

Eclogue 06 (DONE by Cori)

Eclogue 07 - DONE
    07a - Meliboeus (approx 223 words) (DONE by DSayers)
    07b - Corydon (approx 240 words) (DONE by Leni)
    07c - Thyrsis (approx 240 words) (DONE by lezer)

Eclogue 08 - DONE
    08a - Narrator (DONE by lezer)
    08b - Damon (approx 447 words) (DONE by RuthieG)
    08c - Alphesiboeus (approx 680 words) (DONE by FriscoSquid)

Eclogue 09 (DONE)
    09a - Lycidas (DONE by gElm)
    09b - Moeris (DONE by Leni)

Eclogue 10 (DONE by Cori)

BC admin link
    I've added one more line to the MW, just so it won't show up as 100% assigned in the lists - since it isn't...
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz preferred, 32 and 22.5 also acceptable
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording: (will everyone read this, please? some of them might be edited out (we only need one per eclogue of course), but I'd rather have too many than too few...)
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "[Part name] Recorded by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Eclogues, by Virgil. Eclogue [Number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Eclogue [Number]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Eclogues, by Virgil."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: For the character parts, please leave 3 seconds of silence between sections of dialogue, so that the parts can be easily edited into a single file!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    eclogues_##_virgil.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your chapter number. (eclogues_01_virgil.mp3)

If you are recording a character part, please record in the .wav format, to make the editing process easier and cleaner. Save files as:

eclogues_###_[character].wav (eclogues_03a_menalcas.wav)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: Eclogue ##
    Artist: Virgil
    Album: The Eclogues

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kh - kristin
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)
    - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Caeristhiona on April 16th, 2007, 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi Caeristhiona,

Kristin will be along in the next day or so to claim this project as MC. Not sure about the Latin version, but don't worry - someone will snap it up.

If any other MCs try to muscle in before Kristin gets here, throw a slipper at them. If that doesn't work, tell them I know where they live. (I don't, but it just might scare them off).

David
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

LOL! Sure thing.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kristin

Post by kristin »

Hi C- I'll be MCing this for you. I've added my initials to the project title. And have put this on the To Come page.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I will be gone until Nov. 1st. I might have internet access at the hotel I'm staying at, if so I will try to check in occationally. Otherwise, I'll be back next Wednesday.
Asaf Bartov

Post by Asaf Bartov »

I volunteer to read Tityrus's part in Eclogue 1.
Asaf Bartov
http://ijon.livejournal.com
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Sure thing!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Cori

Post by Cori »

I thought I'd come and see why something so interesting was languishing at the bottom of the Forum page, and my head went a bit spinny looking at the instructions. So, I've done an Idiot's Version, purely for my own benefit ... it goes like this ...
Standalone - read normally, save to MP3
Eclogue 02 (4k)
Eclogue 04 (4k)
Eclogue 06 (5k)
Eclogue 10 (5k)

Part of a dialogue - leave 3 secs silence between each line/section of speech, save as WAV
Most sections 1-2k (ie. short.)
08c - Alphesiboeus
07b - Corydon
03b - Damoetas
08b - Damon
09a - Lycidas
01a - Meliboeus (must also record 07a)
03a - Menalcas (must also record 05a)
09b - Moeris
05b - Mopsus
08a - Narrator
03c - Palaemon
01b - Tityrus (claimed by Asaf Bartov)
07c - Thyrsis
Can I have Ec4, please..? I can't easily record to WAV, and that one didn't confuse me too much. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

My heart won't be broken if this is wrong or redundant, but here! Part 4!

http://piratelibrary.com/librivox/eclogues_04_virgil.mp3
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

That is WONDERFUL, Cori! Thank you so much! :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Cori

Post by Cori »

Caeristhiona, did you want different people reading each of the standalones..?

If not, I'd volunteer for 02, 06 and 10 ... and then you could perhaps shift this to Dramatic Works..? I'm sure there are dozens of play-readers ready to do this full justice, just not currently realising this project combines play and prose.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Cori wrote:Caeristhiona, did you want different people reading each of the standalones..?

If not, I'd volunteer for 02, 06 and 10 ... and then you could perhaps shift this to Dramatic Works..? I'm sure there are dozens of play-readers ready to do this full justice, just not currently realising this project combines play and prose.
You may have all 3 of them -- and that is a lovely idea. I'll get that set up later on. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Cori

Post by Cori »

Eclogue 2 doth arrive at:

http://piratelibrary.com/librivox/eclogues_02_virgil.mp3

Poor Corydon! I hope things pick up for him.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Cori wrote:Eclogue 2 doth arrive at:

http://piratelibrary.com/librivox/eclogues_02_virgil.mp3

Poor Corydon! I hope things pick up for him.
I know. :( O crudelis Alexis!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

I'll take 03b, Damoetas from Eclogue 3, por favor. Gracias!
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]