[COMPLETE; FICTION]Clayhanger by Arnold Bennett -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
seasound11

Post by seasound11 »

Clayhanger by Arnold Bennett (1867-1931).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/clayhanger-by-arnold-bennett/
This first of a trilogy of novels is a coming-of-age story set in the Midlands of Victorian England, following Edwin Clayhanger as he leaves school, takes over the family business, and falls in love.
The books are set in Bennett's usual setting of "the 5 Towns", a thinly-disguised version of the six towns of "the Potteries" which amalgamated (at the time of which Bennett was writing) into the borough (and later city) of Stoke-on-Trent.
In one of the earlier chapters in the book, Bennett writes that Edwin had only heard of a philosopher as 'someone who made the best of a bad job' and in some ways that is what Edwin has to do in the book - survive under a stifling layer of conduct imposed by his father, his church and the society he is part of.
(Introduction by Wikipedia, summarised by seasound11)
  • Target completion date: June 2012
    Text source (only read from this text!):
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/21249
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Clayhanger. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Clayhanger by Arnold Bennett [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Clayhanger by Arnold Bennett. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Clayhanger, by Arnold Bennett.

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    clayhanger_##_bennett.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Arnold Bennett
    Album: Clayhanger
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by seasound11 on May 29th, 2010, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seasound11

Post by seasound11 »

Hi,
I wasn't sure how long this would take as a solo effort, ie target date. Do you have a suggestion?
seasond11
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I have moved this to the right place
You will need to have a PD link - you can't read from a modern edition unless you can prove it is a facsimile of a public domain text - Penguin usually holds the copyright on their editions even though the book itself was written earlier.
As for the time - when you finish your first chapter you could see how long it has taken you for the number of words and how many words are in the book and calculate how many hours that is and then work out how many hours you can spare :D - in other words there are too many variables for anyone to be able to answer that especially for an new reader.

Anne
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Here is a link to the book at Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/21249
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It's a big book - about 180,000 words, which will end up as something like 20 hours of audio. I would allow about 100 hours for the recording, editing etc. Some people take less time, some more, but that is a fair rule of thumb. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi seasound,
I can be your MC for this project - I see you've already done a chapter for a group project, so you are on your way. I'll be back, I'm just off to set up the project in the database.

Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK - all set to go!

Ruth's, Anne's and Barry's advice above is all good. Two other little things:
- I changed the mp3 name suggestion to just the last name of the author.

- The 'blurb' you've put in the first post contains a lot of spoilers. That's the bit of text that in the end we will use for the catalog page. A lot of people find that it really puts them off an audiobook if they already know exactly how the story will end - and they may not download it anymore. Might be good to change it, and not say so much about where life eventually will take Clayhanger...

Other than that, the project looks good! :D
On your catalog page ( http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=4824 ) I notice that you do not have a catalog name yet - what would you like me to put there - it can be the same as your forum name, or your real name or another pseudonym.

I'll send you some information on how to update the Magic Window.

Let's keep the project in the Launch Pad over the weekend, to maybe find a dedicated proof-listener that way!

Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Anna
seasound11

Post by seasound11 »

Section 1 upload

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/clayhanger _01_bennett.mp3
16m 21s

Regards, Barbara
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Barbara,  
the link to section 1 is not working, as you have spaces in it. can you please coppy the link without spaces?
stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I took the liberty of removing the space from the file name on the server, to save Barbara uploading again.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/clayhanger_01_bennett.mp3

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
lezer

Post by lezer »

Thank you Ruth!

And off to a good start, Barbara!
In a solo, you are actually your own BC - so you are the one who updates the magic window and everything. I've sent you a pm this weekend with the details about how to do that. I've entered your first file to the MW as an example.

I've moved us over to "Going Solo", and will now post in the "Listeners Wanted" forum to find us a PL-er.

Anna
rathomas

Post by rathomas »

...for Section 1 of Clayhanger. At your service!
lezer

Post by lezer »

Thank you, Samohtar, that would be great! You can post your notes here when you're done.

Barbara, since this is your first solo, I've indicated it for you in the MW (so that other people can see that section 1 will be PL-ed already), to give you an example of how you can do it.

Anna
rathomas

Post by rathomas »

-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread? Yes.
-- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time. No.
-- Are there any repeats, or serious stumbles that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time. Yes.

5:38 Volume seems louder
9:46 Change "Everybody..." to "Anybody..."
13:18 Delete "...and..."
13:28 Change to "...chimney-pots..."
14:40 Change to "...owning..."

-- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading? No.
-- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?) No.
-- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread? No.
-- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file? Not applicable, missing closing words.
seasound11

Post by seasound11 »