[COMPLETE] Christmas Carol Collection 2011 - rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » December 1st, 2011, 4:46 am

paulvbrown wrote:Hi all -- I want to try and throw together the song I started working on last year, but didn't get finished. It's in Finnish, called, "Tulkoon joulu" (Let Christmas Come).

[EDIT] PLÄH -- ok, I was afraid of that -- totally not PD as far as I can determine so far. Far too current. And am I right that even if I could get the author to ok a recording, it wouldn't be ok with LibriVox?
You are right, Paul - if the author is living and Finnish, then it would have been published in Europe and must be still under copyright. To be recorded for LibriVox it must be in the public domain in the US - the author would have to give up all rights to it. You might be able to get the author's permission to record it and upload it yourself to the Internet Archive under a different Creative Commons licence, but it couldn't be a LibriVox recording, I'm afraid. :(

Ruth
The Owl
who singeth alone, sitting by night

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » December 1st, 2011, 5:27 am

Thanks, Nolan, yours is in the MW. And of course your family is biased, but you do have a fine singing voice. :)
Laurie Anne

aravis

Post by aravis » December 1st, 2011, 1:13 pm

Downloading! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » December 1st, 2011, 4:27 pm

Bravo, Nolan! :clap:

You got your recording done before I was able to locate a program to turn the accompaniment midi into an mp3 on Win98, but I still did it, and have been playing happily making them fit together. Here it is:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/godrestye_unknown_ndf.mp3
I had to do a bit of sneaky tweaking to get the tempos to fit, so the duration of this one is 3:53.

See if you like it. If you prefer your unaccompanied version, I really will not mind in the slightest. I have had a lot of fun doing it, and it has stopped me grumping around the place complaining about what I can't do. :)

Ruth
The Owl

NolanFout

Post by NolanFout » December 1st, 2011, 5:23 pm

EglantinaOwl wrote:Bravo, Nolan! :clap:

You got your recording done before I was able to locate a program to turn the accompaniment midi into an mp3 on Win98, but I still did it, and have been playing happily making them fit together. Here it is:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/godrestye_unknown_ndf.mp3
I had to do a bit of sneaky tweaking to get the tempos to fit, so the duration of this one is 3:53.

See if you like it. If you prefer your unaccompanied version, I really will not mind in the slightest. I have had a lot of fun doing it, and it has stopped me grumping around the place complaining about what I can't do. :)

Ruth
Thanks for the compliment :mrgreen:
Actually if you don't mind would you give me the organ music so that I could do it again? cuz that sounds great, but my singing is a little off key. but that sounds so cool that i want to do it again with the music if that would be no trouble :)

Side note, Anything that keeps people from grumping is good :lol: :lol:
Nolan Fout

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » December 2nd, 2011, 6:05 am

It is awfully difficult to stay in tune for so long when singing unaccompanied - you did pretty well, Nolan! I will just adjust the tempo of the accompaniment to approximately the same as yours and then upload it a little later today.

Ruth
The Owl

NolanFout

Post by NolanFout » December 2nd, 2011, 8:53 am

EglantinaOwl wrote:It is awfully difficult to stay in tune for so long when singing unaccompanied - you did pretty well, Nolan! I will just adjust the tempo of the accompaniment to approximately the same as yours and then upload it a little later today.

Ruth
Thanks! I really appreciate the help and audio. :mrgreen:
Nolan Fout

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » December 2nd, 2011, 2:16 pm

Hi Nolan!

I have uploaded two, one in the original key, D minor, and one a semitone lower in case that is more comfortable. I added a short intro, so that you know what note to start on and when. This can be cut out after you have recorded your voice track, when you paste in your LibriVox intro.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/godrestyoudminor.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/godrestyou_csharpminor.mp3

I have left a bar's breathing space between verses and slowed up the last phrase as you did in your recording.

Import file into Audacity.

Edit | Preferences | Recording. Check the box that says something like "Play other tracks when recording new one." (I can't remember exactly where this is on 1.3 but it is something like this.)

Play the accompaniment at a low level, preferably listening with headphones, while you record. You may find that your set-up has a little latency (lag) and you may need to snip out a tiny bit of silence at the beginning of your voice track, so that the two tracks are completely in sync. If you zoom in (View | Zoom in) as far as you can, you will be able to sync them perfectly.

Before mixing the two tracks together, you will probably need to decrease the volume on the whole thing (Ctrl+A then Effect | Amplify -4 or -5) so that it is not too loud once the two are mixed together. Then select all again (Ctrl+A) and Tracks | Mix and Render. Add your ID tags, export as an MP3 and you are done. Don't forget to uncheck the "play other tracks option" after you have finished.

If this all sounds like Greek, I will happily mix the tracks for you. It would be preferable to doing the ironing. :lol:

Ruth
The Owl

NolanFout

Post by NolanFout » December 2nd, 2011, 2:43 pm

EglantinaOwl wrote:Hi Nolan!

I have uploaded two, one in the original key, D minor, and one a semitone lower in case that is more comfortable. I added a short intro, so that you know what note to start on and when. This can be cut out after you have recorded your voice track, when you paste in your LibriVox intro.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/godrestyoudminor.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/godrestyou_csharpminor.mp3

I have left a bar's breathing space between verses and slowed up the last phrase as you did in your recording.

Import file into Audacity.

Edit | Preferences | Recording. Check the box that says something like "Play other tracks when recording new one." (I can't remember exactly where this is on 1.3 but it is something like this.)

Play the accompaniment at a low level, preferably listening with headphones, while you record. You may find that your set-up has a little latency (lag) and you may need to snip out a tiny bit of silence at the beginning of your voice track, so that the two tracks are completely in sync. If you zoom in (View | Zoom in) as far as you can, you will be able to sync them perfectly.

Before mixing the two tracks together, you will probably need to decrease the volume on the whole thing (Ctrl+A then Effect | Amplify -4 or -5) so that it is not too loud once the two are mixed together. Then select all again (Ctrl+A) and Tracks | Mix and Render. Add your ID tags, export as an MP3 and you are done. Don't forget to uncheck the "play other tracks option" after you have finished.

If this all sounds like Greek, I will happily mix the tracks for you. It would be preferable to doing the ironing. :lol:

Ruth
Nope, sounds good :thumbs:

I can most likely get it done tonight.
Nolan Fout

Mark Twain

tony123

Post by tony123 » December 3rd, 2011, 3:43 pm

Libertyness wrote:As for the Twelve Days of Christmas, I've decided to go with the one from HathiTrust. My plan was to include as many people as possible, having everyone sing at least one verse, plus the 12th verse- unless they want to sing it in it's entirety (5:30). I'll splice it all together when I have submissions. The same file-naming scheme should apply, 12days_rimbault_INITIALS

And again, the melody and lyrics for this song are at HathiTrust, here

We good to go? :D
Liberty
If we are, here are my 11th and 12th verses for you to splice. :) Length 01:25. --Tony

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/12days_rimbault_to.mp3

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » December 3rd, 2011, 9:30 pm

Lberty wrote:We good to go?
Oops, yes - of course!

Thanks, Tony for kicking it off!

Ruth
The Owl

evha

Post by evha » December 4th, 2011, 11:49 am

So, I've finally come around and recorded my carol of choice.

Text: Georg Weissel (1590 - 1635); Melodie : Halle 1704;
Satz: Max Reger (1873 - 1916) aus: Zwölf deutsche geistliche Gesänge
Source: http://www.cantus.org/archiv/carol/machtho.htm
Length: 2:00 min

I'm not terribly sure about the recording's quality, especially in the second verse. So thanks for proof-listening!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/machthochdietuer_weissel_eh.mp3

Have a great 2nd advent,
Eva

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » December 4th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Thanks, Eva, I've linked it in the Magic Window. The text source website is not working at the moment, but I will check again later.
Laurie Anne

readextra

Post by readextra » December 4th, 2011, 12:41 pm

I don't think Gutenberg has the text of the carol "We Three Kings of Orient" but is that really required?
Sean Lynott (pronounced "Shawn Line-it")

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » December 4th, 2011, 2:55 pm

I know what you mean, but it is easier if we do have an identified public domain source for every contribution. Some songs can catch you out. You may think they have been around for ever, but it ain't necessarily so.

Here is a public domain source for We Three Kings:

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/we_three_kings_of_orient_are.htm

(Scroll down the page for scans of original sheet music.)

Ruth
The Owl