[COMPLETE] Christmas Carol Collection 2011 - rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 25th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Thanks, Sean, you're in the MW! We need a link to your text source, and music too if you have one -- could you post that, please?
Laurie Anne

readextra

Post by readextra » November 25th, 2011, 7:11 pm

[quote="chocoholic"]Thanks, Sean, you're in the MW! We need a link to your text source, and music too if you have one -- could you post that, please?[/quote]
First of all, what do you mean by "MW"? Secondly, I'll get the text source ASAP.

Sean (AKA Readextra)
Sean Lynott (pronounced "Shawn Line-it")

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 25th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Sorry! "MW" is the Magic Window, the box in the top post in each project thread that lists all the readers and recordings.
Laurie Anne

aravis

Post by aravis » November 26th, 2011, 11:35 am

Downloading! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)

evha

Post by evha » November 26th, 2011, 12:18 pm

I'd like to contribute to this beautiful collection by singing one or two old German church songs. I'm wondering what qualifies as valid source to prove the carol is in public domain.

I'm having a hard time finding them in the known sources like Gutenberg.org, archive.org, wikisource, etc..
Is it enough to provide e.g. the Wikipedia link for copyright info?

(I'm specifically talking about this: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macht_hoch_die_T%C3%BCr)

Sorry, I'm still rather new to this, so I have to ask... :oops:

Thanks in advance,
Eva

aravis

Post by aravis » November 26th, 2011, 1:48 pm

We Three Kings: the silence at the end should be 5 secs. (otherwise it's great) :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » November 26th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Eva

Text: Georg Weissel (1590 - 1635); Melodie : Halle 1704;
Satz: Max Reger (1873 - 1916) aus: Zwölf deutsche geistliche Gesänge which was published in 1900 according to the Max Reger Institute. That is in the Public Domain both in the USA and in Europe, so it is fine! I look forward to hearing it.

Use this link as your source: http://www.cantus.org/archiv/carol/machtho.htm

I do like a quote of his, after receiving an unfavourable review of his music:
I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. Your review is in front of me. Soon, it will be behind me.
Ruth
The Owl
who singeth alone, sitting by night

evha

Post by evha » November 26th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Great, thanks a lot Ruth!
I'll get started as soon as possible :clap:

UnfamiliarMemory

Post by UnfamiliarMemory » November 26th, 2011, 2:56 pm

I edited my contribution, Personent Hodie - is this better? http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/personenthodie_holst_um.mp3

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 26th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Thanks, unfamiliar memory, I've noted the edited file in the MW.
Laurie Anne

NolanFout

Post by NolanFout » November 27th, 2011, 7:00 pm

This seems really cool but I have no idea how it works :oops: could someone please help me out. do you just pick a song out of the collection and sing it and post it up using one of the numbered sections or do you ask for a spot and then pick a song?
Nolan Fout

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 27th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Hi, horse --

First find a song you'd like to sing, making sure that the 1) lyrics, 2) tune, and 3) harmony (if you are singing harmony) are all in the public domain, meaning that everything was published before 1923. Ruth has a link in the top post that'll help you locate some sources. After you have chosen your song, post the link to the text and music source in this thread so that we can double check that it is OK to record. Then once you have the OK, you can sing. Details about the intro and ending to use and the file name etc are in the top post as usual.

Be aware that for some Christmas songs, there may be modern versions that are different than the older public domain versions. That's why we need text links even for very familiar old songs.

Have fun with it!

p.s. I think I know where you live. :) (I don't mean that in a creepy stalkery way, just that I grew up not far from there too.)
Laurie Anne

NolanFout

Post by NolanFout » November 27th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Thanks Choco :D

Actually i live in Defiance Ohio but I heard of North, South Carolina in this video I saw and thought it was hilarious :mrgreen:
Nolan Fout

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » November 27th, 2011, 7:32 pm

There is a lot about SC that is hilarious. :) I can say that (with affection) because I am from there. You know the saying -- too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

-----

Side note. Ruth, I am not sure how you would like to eventually arrange the entries, but I am betting that alphabetical by readers' forum names, as I seem to be doing for some unknown reason, is not it. haha. If you'll let me know how you'd like them, I can get them in a little better order for you.
Laurie Anne

EglantinaOwl

Post by EglantinaOwl » November 28th, 2011, 1:57 am

Don't worry about it, Laurie Anne. I will sort out the Magic Window in due course. Computer arrives tomorrow, and then it will be a couple of days before I am all sorted out, then I will be up and running in earnest. Fingers firmly crossed that it is all as it should be, but they claim to test their systems rigorously, so I am not anticipating problems.

Ruth
The Owl
who singeth alone, sitting by night