[COMPLETE] 1001 Nights, Vol. 6 - rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 6 by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890).
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:http://librivox.org/the-book-of-a-thousand-nights-and-a-night-arabian-nights-volume-06-by-richard-francis-burton/
This is a collection of stories collected over thousands of years by various authors, translators and scholars. They are an amalgam of mythology and folk tales from the Indian sub-continent, Persia, and Arabia. No original manuscript has ever been found, but several versions date the collection’s genesis to somewhere between AD 800-900. The stories are wound together under the device of a long series of cliff-hangers told by Shahrazad to her husband Shahryar, to prevent him from executing her. Many tales that have become independently famous come from the Book, among them Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and the voyages of Sinbad the Sailor. This collection comes from the sixth of sixteen volumes translated by Richard Francis Burton. (Summary adapted from Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Sep-05 .
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3440
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Please do not record the footnotes.

Genres for the project:
    fairy-tales, fiction
    Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 6. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 6, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton [Section]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 6, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton"

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    thousand_nights_vol06_##_burton.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number.
    (e.g. thousand_nights_vol06_01_burton.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Richard Burton
    Album: The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 6
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rg - RuthieG
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How
      To Send Your Recording wiki page

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Jeanny! Delighted to see you back. :D

I will MC this for you. Back with MW in a little while.

EDITED TO ADD: Magic Window up. I have put 40 sections in. Let me know if you need more, or if you need any other help.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

RuthieG wrote:Jeanny! Delighted to see you back. :D

I will MC this for you. Back with MW in a little while.

EDITED TO ADD: Magic Window up. I have put 40 sections in. Let me know if you need more, or if you need any other help.

Ruth
Thanks for MCing this project, Ruth. :D
I'm still struggling with the section splitting, since it's a bit difficult to estimate chapter lengths. Do you have any suggestions on how to divide the text. Unfortunately, the contents page of the etext does not include page numbers as reference.
Also, the last chapter of volume 5 is labeled as "45 - Five Hundred and Thirty-third to Five Hundred and Thirty-sixth Night" in the MW, but the next night mentioned in the etext (I've downloaded the txt version) is "When it was the Three Hundred and Fifty-eighth Night, ...". So, is there something missing here? :?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

jeanny wrote:Also, the last chapter of volume 5 is labeled as "45 - Five Hundred and Thirty-third to Five Hundred and Thirty-sixth Night" in the MW, but the next night mentioned in the etext (I've downloaded the txt version) is "When it was the Three Hundred and Fifty-eighth Night, ...". So, is there something missing here? :?
I'm not quite understanding. In http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/3440/pg3440.txt after the preliminary paragraph, it says

"When it was the Five Hundred and Thirty-seventh Night," which looks right to me.

The text appears to be complete and consecutive:

Vol 1 1 - 34
Vol 2 35 - 124
Vol 3 125 - 237
Vol 4 238 - 358
Vol 5 358 - 536
Vol 6 537 - 636
Vol 7 637 - 776
Vol 8 777 - 888
Vol 9 889 - 989
Vol 10 990 - 1001 + Conclusion etc.

Splitting isn't going to be easy. This volume is 100 nights, and about 150,000 words, but of course each night varies in length, so presumably it isn't as simple as making each section 2 nights? Were you intending just to put the section title in the Magic Window and leave it to the readers to find the right text, or make Google docs (which sounds a lot of work to me)?

Let me know if you want me to help, whatever you decide to do.

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

For whichever volume it was I BCed, I think I split 3 nights per section. Isn't that also what you did for the last one, Jeanny?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

but the next night mentioned in the etext (I've downloaded the txt version) is "When it was the Three Hundred and Fifty-eighth Night,
Just realised, that is the last night of Volume 4 on Project Gutenberg, not Volume 5. Did you look at the text of the right volume?

(Incidentally, the volume numbers are completely different on the Internet Archive book scans.)

Ruth
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

RuthieG wrote:
but the next night mentioned in the etext (I've downloaded the txt version) is "When it was the Three Hundred and Fifty-eighth Night,
Just realised, that is the last night of Volume 4 on Project Gutenberg, not Volume 5. Did you look at the text of the right volume?

(Incidentally, the volume numbers are completely different on the Internet Archive book scans.)

Ruth
Oh no, now it gets really confusing. I've downloaded all 16 etexts and skipped their headings (volume titles) and parts of the text. Etext 3440 seemes to be the sixth volume, but I'm not entirely sure now. Do you mean they've switched etext numbers on Gutenberg? :?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

No, they all seem to be consecutively numbered, and all the stories within follow on correctly too, at least in the main part - I haven't looked at the supplemental stories (Volumes 11 to 15).

Vol 1 #3435
Vol 2 #3436
Vol 3 #3437
Vol 4 #3438
Vol 5 #3439
Vol 6 #3440
Vol 7 #3441
Vol 8 #3442
Vol 9 #3443
Vol 10 #3444
Vol 11 #3445
Vol 12 #3446
Vol 13 #3447
Vol 14 #3448
Vol 15 #3449

I will put the sections in the Magic Window tomorrow, then we can set sail. :D

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

OK, the section titles and word counts are done, so we are ready to move off to Readers Wanted.

All aboard? Hold tight! Ding, ding!

Ruth
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Well, I would like to be the first (whohoo!), and take the first four sections:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Kristingj wrote:Well, I would like to be the first (whohoo!), and take the first four sections:)
Hi Kristin,
Thanks, sections 1-4 are all yours. :D
Enjoy!
Kalynda

Post by Kalynda »

I'm determined to participate in every volume of this! May I have 5 and 6?

Cheers,
Kalynda
Il faut cultiver nos jardins.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I see that Jeanny hasn't been on for a few days. I will update the Magic Window. 5 & 6 are yours Kalynda. :)

Ruth
nellcz

Post by nellcz »

I'm new at Librivox but I love reading stories! May I have sections 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 to round out the final voyages of Sinbad? Thanks!

Nell Cz
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Welcome to LibriVox, Nell. :)

Recording is fun, and I am glad you are joining us. It is a good idea to get the technical things sorted out before starting out on a proper recording, so please read the Newbie Guide to Recording and do a preliminary test recording as described HERE, so that your settings, volume, background noise etc can be checked.

I will allocate those 5 sections to you in the meantime, but you may find that it takes longer to do than you think, so if you find they are too much for you, then don't hesitate to tell me. We are all volunteers here, and we know that sometimes real life doesn't allow us to do as much as we would like.

Ruth