COMPLETE [PHYSICS] Opticks by Isaac Newton - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Opticks by Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/opticks-by-isaac-newton/

The famous physicist Sir Isaac Newton lectured on optics from 1670 - 1672. He worked on refraction of light into colored beams using prisms and discovered chromatic aberration. He also postulated the corpuscular form of light and an ether to transmit forces between the corpuscles. His "Opticks", first published 1704 contains his research and postulates about the topic. This is the fourth edition in English, from 1730, which Newton himself corrected from the third edition before his death. (Summary by Availle)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is December 2012 .
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33504
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: wordperfect

Abbreviations used in this book:
    Defin. = Definition
    Ax. = Axiom
    Cas. = Case
    Prop. = Proposition
    Theor. = Theorem
    Exper. = Experiment
    Prob. = Problem
    Obs. = Observation
    Qu. = Query

Special Instructions for this text (feel free to ask when you have questions!):
    - Please do NOT read the footnotes or references to other page numbers!
    - Please DO read the references to figures, but not the figure captions!
    - Please read greek letters as such, alpha, beta, delta, epsilon, phi...
    - This is a book about geometry, and there are numerous figures in it. The illustrations bear letters, which are mentioned in the text.
    --- Please check the figures before you record. If it contains, for example, both an A and an a, I want this to be read as "Capital A (or uppercase A) and lowercase a". If there is only one, say, M in the figure, you can either read "Capital (uppercase) M" or "M". Please read things like Ne as "uppercase N lowercase e" to make it clear for the listener.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Opticks. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Opticks , by Isaac Newton . Book [number] Part [number] {subtitle as per magic window}"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Opticks , by Isaac Newton . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    opticks_##_newton.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use - if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] - please copy from Magic Window
    Artist: Isaac Newton
    Album: Opticks

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ava - Availle
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hello Ava

May I get section 4 please?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Most certainly my dear!

Actually, I'm quite surprised you didn't want section 01 :shock:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I thought about it, but there's the word "experiment" in section 4, can't resist that. :lol:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:lol: :lol:

Well, have fun with it, then!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Ava,

Could I have 12?

Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Proposition VIII is all yours, enjoy! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jamesthenabignumber

Post by jamesthenabignumber »

I'd like to do 37 Book III Part I - Queries 28 - 29 if you wouldn't mind.

As far as my research goes, this is the first public time Newton suggests that light is made of particles (speculated in Query 29 of Book III).

Thanks,

James
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI James, welcome to this project! :D

Section 37 is all yours, it will be a finished recording of about 30 minutes. BUT before you start recording, please do the following for me:

- please make a testrecording, as described here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
It's not an audition, but simply to check whether your technical specifications are ok, there is any background noise, you are audible at all... Please post your test over in "Listeners Wanted". Once everything is fine, and you got our "OK" you may record as you wish...

- please let me know under which name you'd like to appear in our catalog. This can be your forum name, your real name, any other nick name... We can also link to a webpage if you like. Your personal librivox page to keep track of all your recordings (whether finished or not) is here: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=6718

Okay, lots of stuff to do, but above all - have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Availle wrote: - please make a test recording,
You don't have to use the submitted 'Peter Piper' text but try the first minute of this chapter. (I'm tired of hearing Peter picking whatever) :wink:

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You know Esther, if you want to hear something really interesting... I'm still looking for a DPL for this one... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ha! Turn it around to benefit you éh?!

I won't be volunteering to dpl but will listen when I get a chance. ( I can listen to your chapters ;) ) I'm going to hold off claiming a chapter here till I know how much time I will have this Autumn.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Can't blame me for trying... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Volos

Post by Volos »

I guess there's no better place to start than the beginning, so I will start with 01, Definitions. I plan to go by Volos for correspondence related to LibriVox, including recording. I will have a test recording up in a day or two (aka when I finish writing a grant). It will probably be of some the definitions here or I'll come up with a limerick. Maybe just the back of a cereal box...it doesn't matter right?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Volos, nice to have you on here! :D

Section 1 is yours, check out the first post for details. Unfortunately we cannot do the figures at all, but there will certainly be a cd cover - and if I feel like it, I could make a decent booklet for once...?

You may read anything you like for your test, we usually do the Peter Piper Picking Fables so we can see if there are any plosives around. But if you have experience with recording, you'll probably know everything about those anyway...

This is your very own librivox page where you get a list of all the projects you have (promised to) read:
https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=6723

Have fun!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com