COMPLETE - On Liberty, by John Stuart Mill - NF/ec

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

This project is now complete, and available to download from the catalogue page - http://librivox.org/on-liberty-by-john-stuart-mill/

On Liberty by John Stuart Mill.

Published in 1859, On Liberty details Mill's view that individuals should be left wholly free to engage in any activity, thought or belief that does not harm others. Simple though it sounds, it is a position that challenges our ideas on the very nature of government and society, and sheds light on some of the key issues we face today.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are up for grabs.? Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: end December 2006 but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it will go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Bartleby.com e-text
  5. Please claim chapters (the blue numbers)!

Note that if I have not heard from you by 30th November 2006, I will reassign your chapter(s).

1 - Introductory (14 book pages)
    2 - Of the Liberty of Thought and discussion (41 book pages)
    3 - Of Individuality (20 book pages)
    4 - Of the Limits to the Authority of Society (20 book pages)
    5 - Applications (23 book pages)

link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz preferred, 32 and 22.5 also acceptable
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "On Liberty, by John Stuart Mill. [Chapter number, chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the chapter, say:"End of [Chapter number, chapter title]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of On Liberty, by John Stuart Mill."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    on_liberty_#_mill.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is your chapter number. (on_liberty_1_mill.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: [Chapter number - Chapter title] (e.g. "1 - Introductory")
    Artist: John Stuart Mill
    Album: On Liberty

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or via http://yousendit.com - post the resulting link in this thread.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by earthcalling on March 9th, 2007, 5:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
ZachBG

Post by ZachBG »

Oy vey, that's a long chapter... but I can't resist. May I have 2, please?
ZachBG's Orphanage: rescuing orphaned chapters since 2006! PM me if you have an urchin on your doorstep.

http://www.zachbg.com. My greatest hit.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Nice one, Zach - It's yours!

You may need to split the chapter in two, as it's so long. See how long the file is, and whether there's a natural break.

David
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi earthcalling - I'd like to have a go at chapter 3 if I may (I'm not clear whether zac already wants this too, in which case I'll take chapter 4).

Thanks,
Carl.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Carl,

Hi there, and welcome! 3 is yours - I'll mark it 'claimed' in a second.

As this'll be your first recroding, can you have a read through the Newbie Guide to Recording, if you haven't already.

And as these are such long chapters, it's be an idea to first submit a short recording - a paragraph or so - just to make sure you've got the technical side of things all OK before you invest a lot of time.

Finally, at some point can you let me know how you'd like to be credited in the catalogue, and if you have a URL to link to? I'll enter that on our list of readers, so you won't be asked again for other books.

Enjoy recording!

David
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi David,

All that's no problem. I can only really do it at weekends though, so hopefully I'll get a short extract done next sat or sun.

Thanks,
Carl.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh, how nice... I was going to do this when I was reading it for my Philosophy course, but got too busy doing the essay... :) Can't sign up, just showing support and enthusiasm.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi,

Just to say did a few minutes of this today, but wasn't really happy with it, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Carl.
optimistmb

Post by optimistmb »

Looks interesting -- I'll take Chapter IV :)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

optimistmb wrote:Looks interesting -- I'll take Chapter IV :)
Mike, it's yours!
Last edited by earthcalling on September 24th, 2006, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

CarlManchester wrote:....please bear with me.
No problem at all, Carl. I've not even started my chapter yet!
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

This should link to file of me reading for a few minutes, to be checked for ID tags etc.

http://download.yousendit.com/195A4C9521F24BFE

I'm aware that there's supposed to be a standard intro and a silence at the end - will do these for the full version.

Please let me know if anything else is wrong though.

Many thanks,
Carl.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Carl,

Thank you for doing that. You've no idea how comforting it is to a tired old book coordinator and MC to know that his readers know what they're doing.

Your file is perfect in every way.

You've a great style. Fluent, but clearly understanding the text and guiding the listener through it. Crucial for a work such as this.

Just to prove I'm not being blindly admirational (and making up my own words while I'm at it)... If you feel tempted to speed up at all, don't. Feel free to stay at just that speed, or slow down a teeny bit when the going gets tough, but no faster. (It's worth remembering that the bits that are difficult to read are likely to be difficult for the listener too, so it's perfectly OK to slow down there). That's not a criticism - you got it just right.

Welcome aboard!

David
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks David, that's great to hear.

By the way, should I read out Mill's own footnotes? I'm thinking not, it would just interupt the text, but maybe there's already a policy about this (?).

Thanks,
Carl.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Carl,

There's no policy. My view would be: the listener will not have the book; read what you think will help the listener, leave out what you think will not help.

David