COMPLETE [POLISH]Tajemnica Baskerville'ów

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That would be great - we have a couple of other Polish readers now too - NinaBrown and Piotrek81 so we have a couple more in the catalogue. I listened - by accident to "Cinnamon Shops" the other week - and it is a lovely sounding language - I don't think I have ever heard it before.

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'll post feedback on the edited chapters later today. Sorry for being so slow.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Chapters 3 and 4 are PL OK :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've decided to reopen this as a group project in the hope we can get it finished especially as we now have some more Polish readers :D

Anne
izaura

Post by izaura »

Well then... Please, assign me for chapter 6!
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small cratures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. C. Sagan "Contact"
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi, Izaura. Welcome onboard :D I'm glad that the work on this one has been resumed. Just one point, as you're new here you'll probably be asked to submit a 1-minute-test to check you tech specifications before actually recording something.

By the way, annise, can I volunteer for a section or two too, despite being the DPL?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THat would be great. All the information is in the first post - it would be good if you uploaded a 1 minute sample first just so we could do any tweaking it needs , you can upload it here if you like.
If you like you can have a different name in the catalogue - some people like to use their real name there , others prefer to use their forum name - let me know.
I don't speak Polish by the way - but Nina and Piotrek will help with any problems that our language differences cause :D

Anne
izaura

Post by izaura »

annise wrote:it would be good if you uploaded a 1 minute sample first just so we could do any tweaking it needs
Piotrek81 wrote:you'll probably be asked to submit a 1-minute-test
Done. See here. How about now?
annise wrote:If you like you can have a different name in the catalogue - some people like to use their real name there , others prefer to use their forum name - let me know.
I haven't decided yet - I'm not intu such details at the moment. Fortime being just put forum nickname please.
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small cratures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. C. Sagan "Contact"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Glad your test is over - you don't seem to have had any problems . You can get a rough idea of your volume by using the height of your sound waves , they need to average around the .5 level.
If you decide to want a different catalogue nam later , just let the person running the project you are doing know.
And ask if you need help with anything :D

Anne
izaura

Post by izaura »

Ok, here we go. I kindly request PL and assigning chapter 7.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/Tajemnica_Baskervillow_chapter_6.mp3

This is my first serous work, so every feedback is appraciated. Punctuation, acting (whether You detect any or not), spelling (which is tricki, as it is 1.5 centuries old), pronounciation, etc. The room I record is small, with window close to the road. And chair is little squeeky. Can You hear that?

I expect that file needs to be normalized. I still haven't figured out how to measure loudness of whole session. The rest is easy.

From my point of view after listening, everything seems "flat". As I listened to previous versions tojaboss22 gave different voices to characters. I couldn't copy that and this introdices a little inconsistency.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for the file :D
I wouldn't worry about the different voices - some do them , others don't (and some people like listening to them , and others don't :D ) But any group project has different styles of reading - that is LibriVox.

Piotrek is the PLer , he will be along sometime soon I am sure.
And I will put you down for the next chapter :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just as a start to the notes (and don't worry about these things - I expect people to learn on the job :D )
We ask people to post how long the recording takes on their machine - mm:sec - we use this to see that it all arrives here and finally at archive - sometimes the end bit gets dropped off.
to make sure files play in order we need standard file names - they are always shown in the first post . It should be tajemnicabaskervillow_##_doyle.mp3 - all lower case letters and the ## is the section (line) number in the MW

I will fix this one but just remember next time.

Anne

You could try the link here to see how it goes for you viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42148&p=793930#p793930 . And no one likes listening to their own voice :D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've just listened to it (by the way, the duration is 12:56).

You've got a pleasant-sounding voice and I find your reading speed comfortable to listen to (though, these are of course, very subjective things).
As Anne said, don't worry about character voices. It's entirely up to you how you read as long as you make yourself understandable. There were two or three cases when the last words in a phrase or a sentence were perceptibly less audible, but that was the only problem I detected as far as reading was concerned.

The only two bits which you should fix are:
- intro and outro: should be "librivox"
- there should be 5 seconds of silence at the end (we do it because apparently some audio players cut off bits at the end of files)

I didn't check the volume level with Mp3Gain, so I can't help with this, but I think it's OK overall.

BY the way, here's a link to some cool instructional videos by Phil. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos There are two or three which deal with volume level and explain how to adjust it (if you use Audacity).
izaura

Post by izaura »

Piotrek81 wrote:- intro and outro: should be "librivox"
Checked :thumbs: Although I feel a little shame for such a obvious mistake...
Piotrek81 wrote:- there should be 5 seconds of silence at the end (we do it because apparently some audio players cut off bits at the end of files)
Checked :thumbs:
Piotrek81 wrote:I didn't check the volume level with Mp3Gain
Checked :thumbs: Now it is within 89dB within 1dB error.
annise wrote:to make sure files play in order we need standard file names - they are always shown in the first post . It should be tajemnicabaskervillow_##_doyle.mp3
Checked :thumbs: Finally:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/tajemnicabaskervillow_06_doyle.mp3
Lenght - 13:01 What else? 8-)
Piotrek81 wrote:There were two or three cases when the last words in a phrase or a sentence were perceptibly less audible, but that was the only problem I detected as far as reading was concerned.
I can try to fix it if You would be so kind to point it out. If You think this is good enough I can leave it as it is.
Piotrek81 wrote:BY the way, here's a link to some cool instructional videos by Phil. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos
Aaaand this is what I wanted all this time. Thanks. Now it's going to be easier.
Last edited by izaura on October 15th, 2012, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vellumlisp

Post by Vellumlisp »

Hey there,

Can I claim section 8? I only know thirty words in Polish, but the pronunciation is not difficult for me to pick up.

Thanks!
-David Isenhower