COMPLETE: Romeo & Juliet by Shakespeare - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

I thought everything at PG was PD! Surprising to hear they have some copyrighted Shakespeare :shock:
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
ThePoet

Post by ThePoet »

Thank you for the help with the links. I have found several versions which are virtually identical to the public domain version but they claim copyright. Can anyone explain this to me?

I am working on several "language/accent" versions of this play but this version in particular - with Universally recognised accents - is for Librivox. In South Africa we have 12 official languages which in turn means 12 different accents, some of which are not easily understood by non South Africans. For those schools I plan on doing the play with the pupils from our own schools here reading the parts. We have a very unique situation here but I hope to overcome this with a little bit of effort and encouragement.. and I am sure the students will rise to the challenge.
Kind regards

The Poet
ThePoet

Post by ThePoet »

Simon I want to get this done as soon as possible mainly because I dont have that much free time myself. Send me a sample of about two minutes use the following scene:

TYBALT This, by his voice, should be a Montague.
Fetch me my rapier, boy. What dares the slave
Come hither, cover'd with an antic face,
To fleer and scorn at our solemnity?
Now, by the stock and honour of my kin,
To strike him dead, I hold it not a sin.

CAPULET Why, how now, kinsman! wherefore storm you so?

TYBALT Uncle, this is a Montague, our foe,
A villain that is hither come in spite,
To scorn at our solemnity this night.

CAPULET Young Romeo is it?

TYBALT 'Tis he, that villain Romeo.

CAPULET Content thee, gentle coz, let him alone;
He bears him like a portly gentleman;
And, to say truth, Verona brags of him
To be a virtuous and well-govern'd youth:
I would not for the wealth of all the town
Here in my house do him disparagement:
Therefore be patient, take no note of him:
It is my will, the which if thou respect,
Show a fair presence and put off these frowns,
And ill-beseeming semblance for a feast.

TYBALT It fits, when such a villain is a guest:
I'll not endure him.

CAPULET He shall be endured:
What, goodman boy! I say, he shall: go to;
Am I the master here, or you? go to.
You'll not endure him! God shall mend my soul!
You'll make a mutiny among my guests!
You will set cock-a-hoop! you'll be the man!

TYBALT Why, uncle, 'tis a shame.

CAPULET Go to, go to;
You are a saucy boy: is't so, indeed?
This trick may chance to scathe you, I know what:
You must contrary me! marry, 'tis time.
Well said, my hearts! You are a princox; go:
Be quiet, or--More light, more light! For shame!
I'll make you quiet. What, cheerly, my hearts!

TYBALT Patience perforce with wilful choler meeting
Makes my flesh tremble in their different greeting.
I will withdraw: but this intrusion shall
Now seeming sweet convert to bitter gall.

Hopefully our time schedules will work together.
Kind regards

The Poet
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

ThePoet wrote:Thank you for the help with the links. I have found several versions which are virtually identical to the public domain version but they claim copyright. Can anyone explain this to me?

I am working on several "language/accent" versions of this play but this version in particular - with Universally recognised accents - is for Librivox.
I know! I don't understand how there can be copyrighted texts that look identical to uncopyrighted texts, but ...

Please, what do you mean by "this version in particular" -- I've never heard of an accent version, sounds fascinating! But it sounds like you don't have time to explain.

Meanwhile ... I'm going to speak up here since you haven't had a chance to read the guides for BCs.

The first step -- not optional -- for any LV project
is to provide a link to a text not copyrighted in the US.

edit: oh good, a link is up now. :)
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on August 31st, 2006, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anita
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thank you for the tryout. I'm very new at this so whether or not I am a fit for this part, I'll take what roll I can get for the experience. If you see a smaller role you'd like me to do, just point it out. Any other suggestions will be met with smiles as well.

Tybalt Tryout

Again, thanks :)

Simon
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Simon, I listened to your Tybalt tryout -- excellent reading!!
So menacing. Full commitment to the character going on there!

There's some breath going over the mic that's causing noise -- a little experimenting can eliminate that. You have a great volume, so maybe you can back off the mic a bit and maybe move it to the side (except some mics, like mine, require you to speak directly into them) or a pop filter -- there's an article on making one. Where is that Buzz & Hmmm article that describes making a pop filter ... anyway that's technical.

Wonderful reading!
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Say, ThePoet, you need this project to move quickly, right? I have suggestions.

Since you need to get this done well and done quickly, and don't have time to figure everything out beforehand, why don't you team up with someone experienced already. You don't have to BC the project alone.

1. I recommend you partner up with one or even two experienced volunteers. Just say:
"Hey, anyone willing to help me coordinate this as a co-BC?"

I think you'd get some very helpful response(s).

2. Casting so many male roles is very difficult. Very difficult. Consider asking folks to read for multiple roles. If you had a minimum of 3 women and 5 men, you could get all the roles very nicely read with little character adjustments by the readers.

3. Are you asking people to PM you? Is that what you mean "please message me"? That will definitely slow things down. If you have a co-BC you'll need folks to post directly to the thread, and you'll get folks much much faster that way, too.

4. And the volunteers need this information:
1. What is your target date for completion?
2. What roles are already cast (if any) and who is cast in them?
3. Are you going to read for any of the characters?
4. What is the meaning of li-- oh, how did that get in here?

By the way, do you want folks to use their natural accents:
American / British / Australian / Canadian / EverywhereElsean
or did you want everyone to try for a British accent?
Accent seems to be a theme here.

***Hey! I keep meaning to mention this!
There is a very nice solo* reading of Romeo and Juliet already completed. So you could put this dramatization project on a less hurried schedule and use the solo reading in your classes immediately:
http://librivox.org/romeo-and-juliet-by-william-shakespeare/#Romeo_and_Juliet_William

*It's amazingly effective to hear a single voice read the whole play; and that's a testament to the writing! (as well as the reading!)

I hope these ideas are pleasant to you and helpful.
-- Anita
kristin

Post by kristin »

Poet, I'd be willing to co-coordinate with you, if you are interested. I'm co-coordinating another project right now and it's working out quite well. This is a going to be a big project and I think it would be good, seeing as this is your first project, to have someone helping out .
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Wow! That was quick! :D
You're so in luck, ThePoet! Kristin is what we call "a mover and a shaker" = gets things done.
Anita
kristin

Post by kristin »

Here's an update- Poet has been having some problems posting over the last few days, but has accepted my offer to co-coordinate this project.
kristin

Post by kristin »

a.r.dobbs wrote: 1. I recommend you partner up with one or even two experienced volunteers.
DONE

2. Casting so many male roles is very difficult. Very difficult. Consider asking folks to read for multiple roles. If you had a minimum of 3 women and 5 men, you could get all the roles very nicely read with little character adjustments by the readers.
We are considering this option but still need more people to audition. Everyone feel free to post some sample dialogue here in the thread. Let us know what part you are interested in and if you are interested in more than one. If you are interested in more than one part and they happen to be in a scene together read all the lines in the scene.
3. Are you asking people to PM you? Is that what you mean "please message me"? That will definitely slow things down. If you have a co-BC you'll need folks to post directly to the thread, and you'll get folks much much faster that way, too.
You may PM either Poet or me, if you would rather, or post in the thread.
1. What is your target date for completion?
2. What roles are already cast (if any) and who is cast in them?
3. Are you going to read for any of the characters?
4. What is the meaning of li-- oh, how did that get in here?
1) The tentative date for having files in is October 30th.
2) Nothing in stone as of yet.
3) Erm.... not sure
4) LibriVox
By the way, do you want folks to use their natural accents:
American / British / Australian / Canadian / EverywhereElsean
or did you want everyone to try for a British accent?
Accent seems to be a theme here.
I've talked with Poet about this, the decision was to try for Britishish accents 'to try and keep the "Shakespeare feel."'

Please do not let this stop you auditioning if British is not your native accent. It's certainly not my first accent and for better or worse it doesn't stop me. Give it a try you may surprise yourself.
(If you want to someone to listen to your accent PM me a link and I'll let you know how it is.)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

4. LibriVox is the meaning of life? Well well well. :D Folks have been wondering for So Long.

It all sounds good to me!
Wish I were free to read for the nurse . . . but I don't have the actually best kind of voice for nurse anyway. What a Wonderful Role!

I have lots of recommendations for Wonderful British males out there as well as many non-Brits with pretty great fake accents.

A
LenLen

Post by LenLen »

I'm going to try a reading for Romeo, haven't had the opportunity for it yet, because my windows crashed on me over the weekend. I just finished getting it all back up. Any preferred lines for that audition?
Lenny
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Yay! Go, LenLen! [Balcony, balcony!]

And listen to David's wonderful reading of an essay on R&J, posted earlier in this project thread. Great insights to the play there!
Anita
Linton

Post by Linton »

I would like to put myself forward for the one role that's not on your cast list: that of narrator/stage directions, assuming you are going to include these.

Here is the narration for Act 1:
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/imdm/romeo_juliet_act1_narration.mp3

Let me know what you think.