COMPLETE: Guide to Study of Christian Religion - Smith-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-guide-to-the-study-of-the-christian-religion-by-gerald-birney-smith/

A Guide to the Study of the Christian Religion edited by Gerald Birney Smith (1868-1929).
Articles by numerous authors, compiled into a single collection for use by first year divinity students. This book is intended to be a guide to the study of the Christian religion for Protestants. It was prepared to aid students to understand various aspects of education for the Christian ministry, including basic textual studies, theology, Christian history, denominations, Christian ethics and pastoral duties. (Summary by JoeD)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 31 May 2012.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/guidetostudyofch00smit
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: [standard]

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number], Part [number] of Guide to the Study of the Christian Religion. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Guide to the Study of the Christian Religion, edited by Gerald Birney Smith. Chapter [number], Part [number], [Part title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [number], Part [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Part [number], [Part title]
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Guide to the Study of the Christian Religion, edited by Gerald Birney Smith. "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Special Instructions for ReadersPlease ignore all footnotes and bibliographies

Notice: In some countries, a publication is public domain only at year of author's death death + 50. Check that the chapter you want to read is public domain where you live.

Chapter Authors:
    Chapter 1 - William Herbert Perry Faunce (1859-1930)
    Chapter 2 - Shailer Mathews (1863 – 1941)
    Chapter 3 - John Merlin Powis Smith (1866 – 1932)
    Chapter 4 - Ernest DeWitt Burton (1856–1925) and Edgar J Goodspeed (1871–1962)
    Chapter 5 - Shirley Jackson Case (1872-1947)
    Chapter 6 - Francis Albert Christie (1858-1938)
    Chapter 7 - George Cross (?-?)
    Chapter 8 - Errett Gates (1870-1951)
    Chapter 9 - Gerald Birney Smith (1868-1929)
    Chapter 10 - Theodore Gerald Soares (1869 - ?)
    Chapter 11 - Charles Richmond Henderson (1848–1915)
    Chapter 12 - George Burman Foster(1858–1919)

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    guidestudychristianreligion_##_smith.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. guidestudychristianreligion_01_smith.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Gerald Birney Smith - editor
    Album: Guide to the Study of the Christian Religion
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by JoeD on August 11th, 2011, 3:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

A couple of notes - Gerald Birney Smith actually wrote only two sections of this book. It has numerous authors. I don't really plan on giving them credit in the audio recordings - just 'edited by Gerald Birney Smith'. Is this acceptable?

Also, one of the best things about this book are the extensive bibliographies sprinkled throughout the book. If you are interested in various aspects of the Christian religion, these bibliographies contain hundreds of books - all public domain and all potential Librivox projects. :wink: As cool as they are, I am asking the reader to ignore all bibliographies and footnotes.

The sections will have various recording lengths from under 10 minutes to near the 74 minute limit. I like a variety! The only klunky part of the recording that I can foresee is near the beginning of the book where there are a few charts and tables outlining proposed course work for the divinity student. Other than that, this book looks like smooth and interesting reading. :D

So I wonder what Librivox admin can help MC this book?? :hmm:
Last edited by JoeD on May 21st, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Joe

:hmm:

Ideally, we would have at least the year of death of all authors. I mean, for people in the U.S., that wouldn't be necessary, of course, with the book published in 1916, but if people in other places wanted to volunteer, that would be needed, to make sure the texts are PD also for them (us :p).

The fact the sections will be all different, different lengths etc just adds to the fun, I think.

A question, though: would you want the individual parts searchable in the catalog? Or that wasn't the idea?

It would be nice to give some guidance to the people reading the tables, as well.

With all that said, I will be right back with a window. :D

Edit: here you go!
Leni
=================
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

WOW - thank you, Leni!!
Leni wrote: Ideally, we would have at least the year of death of all authors.
I knew the MC would say that... :evil: . Some of the authors I have heard of, but most I have not... I will do a bit of research on this.
Leni wrote: A question, though: would you want the individual parts searchable in the catalog? Or that wasn't the idea?
Sorry, I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if I want the individual authors credited and searchable? I don't see why not, but asking the reader to submit the authors' name too - that might be a bit confusing for the reader - Unless you have any suggestions.
Leni wrote: It would be nice to give some guidance to the people reading the tables, as well.
I can do that - it is mostly stuff like "First semester, Greek language, 3 credit hours, history, 3 credit hours, biology, 1 credit hour, ..." etc. Not too difficult.

I will fill in the ol' magic window with section titles later this weekend. Thanks again, Leni..!!
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

OK, here are all the authors, and the only info I could find in their dates:

William Herbert Perry Faunce (1859-1930)
Shailer Mathews (1863 – 1941)
John Merlin Powis Smith (1866 – 1932)
Ernest DeWitt Burton (1856–1925)
Edgar J Goodspeed (1871–1962)
Shirley Jackson Case (1872-1947)
Francis Albert Christie (1858-1938)
George Cross (?-?)
Errett Gates (1870-1951)
Gerald Birney Smith (1868-1929)
Theodore Gerald Soares (1869 - ?)
Charles Richmond Henderson (1848–1915)
George Burman Foster(1858–1919)

Looks like the latest is EJ Goodspeed at 1962. He co-authored Chapter 4, the Study of the New Testament.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

OK, I have the magic window all filled out. Looks like I really overestimated the number of sections I would need, so you have a few extra. Maybe we can leave them in, just in case a few of the sections run long. Thanks again, Leni..!!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Joe
JoeD wrote:I knew the MC would say that... :evil: . Some of the authors I have heard of, but most I have not... I will do a bit of research on this.
Yes, MCs are all like that :twisted: . Thanks for the research and all.
Leni wrote: A question, though: would you want the individual parts searchable in the catalog? Or that wasn't the idea?
JoeD wrote: Sorry, I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if I want the individual authors credited and searchable? I don't see why not, but asking the reader to submit the authors' name too - that might be a bit confusing for the reader - Unless you have any suggestions.
No, what I meant was: do you think people would be interested or would be searching the individual works in the catalog? From what I see, now that the window is filled in, doesn't look like it. I don't see a person saying "I would like to find in the LV catalog a book about the study of early christianity". But if you think it's likely... we could make it so that, if someone put the word "catholic" in the catalog search, for example, they would get each part of "The Development and Meaning of the Catholic Church" as a separate search result. Let me know what you think about it.

Now, I have two favors to ask. Since the authors names don't appear in the window, would you mind pointing out in your list which chapters belong to which authors? Just put, for example, "Shirley Jackson Case - chapters 5 and 6". So people outside the US can know at a glance what to claim (or what not to claim). And finally, whenever you have the time, could you add section numbers in the beginning of the sections in the MW? For example, "Preface" should read "00-Preface". I know it looks redundant, since we do have the numbers right there. But, when it's time to catalog, I import the title field of the window, and it only imports what is actually written. So, if the numbers aren't there, I have to type them all in manually. But it doesn't have to be now, at any point between now and cataloging is good enough. :)

Yes, let's leave the extra lines there for now. If we notice we won't really need them, they're easy enough to delete. And I will leave this project in the Launchpad for a day or two, in hopes of finding a DPLer.

Thank you too. ^.^
Leni
=================
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Leni wrote:No, what I meant was: do you think people would be interested or would be searching the individual works in the catalog? From what I see, now that the window is filled in, doesn't look like it. I don't see a person saying "I would like to find in the LV catalog a book about the study of early christianity". But if you think it's likely... we could make it so that, if someone put the word "catholic" in the catalog search, for example, they would get each part of "The Development and Meaning of the Catholic Church" as a separate search result. Let me know what you think about it.
Leni, that would be great if we can have this book pop up after a search for all the different topics it covers. I am not sure what kind of techno-wizardry you need to do to get that done - do you need anything of me? Do I need to come up with a list of tag-words this would fall under?

Leni wrote:Now, I have two favors to ask....
Done - let me know if I can do anything else!
John shsu

Post by John shsu »

Hi there! I would like to claim all of these sections if that would be OK.

01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07

Thank you very much! I look forward to reading these parts. 8-)
John
"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare."
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

John shsu wrote:Hi there! I would like to claim all of these sections if that would be OK.

01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07

Thank you very much! I look forward to reading these parts. 8-)
Thank you John! Making the assignment.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

:shock: HEY what happened to the magic window??? :shock:

All my titlenames and reading assignments vanished!!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Fear not! They're all back! :D
Leni
=================
Easton

Post by Easton »

I'd like to volunteer to read the Study of the Old Testament and the Religion of Israel
parts 8-9-10

Easton
evaeaston.com
youtube.com/evaeaston
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Easton wrote:I'd like to volunteer to read the Study of the Old Testament and the Religion of Israel
parts 8-9-10

Easton
Thank you Eva! I have you down for sections 8-10. Please ask if you have any questions!
Easton

Post by Easton »

evaeaston.com
youtube.com/evaeaston